Office Space…In A Box

Very cool, but the annoying chimes at the beginning almost made me stop watching.

IMHO I'd rather have a real desk.

It does look like a cool project and a great idea, but I would only expect that it would be seen in Japan since they have weird stuff like that.

yeah only in japan where the space is very tight.. just like those cube apartments they have lol

Can't believe I actually remember about those square watermelons

Anyways, everytime the lady says "forty" it sounds like she says "fucky":eek:

I'm glad there was that note about the 3 1/2 minutes... I just skipped to the middle of the video and watched from there.

I'm not sure why but the speech cadence and inflection of the narrator (Indian?) is kind of annoying to this old midwest geezer. The workstation is a unique solution to computer based support with a short time to implementation. It begs the question, how many businesses actually need computer based support in three weeks or less?

that was hard to watch. Load this up with a couple car batteries and an inverter and have a lan in the street

I'm not sure why but the speech cadence and inflection of the narrator (Indian?) is kind of annoying to this old midwest geezer. The workstation is a unique solution to computer based support with a short time to implementation. It begs the question, how many businesses actually need computer based support in three weeks or less?
I guess folks who run those managed services companies. They would probably make use of a solution like that. It would allow them to cram more people into smaller spaces. Call center sweat shops?

God why do they call the comp case a CPU!

When I worked in a repair shop we had an Indian guy in talking about broken CPU. Took us a good ten minutes to figure out what the hell he really meant.

Totally pointless. They are trying to minimize space while making it modular. However, they totally neglected where all of your goodies will go. Most people who have desks or cubes turn them into little shrines of their lives and a product like this is ill suited to maximizing employee happiness. Also, it doesn't convey robustness or beefiness in the sense that it will hold up to long term use. This is basically designed from a managerial penny-pinching point of view instead of the possible aesthetic from the actual users point of view and that's not where design engineering should be focused.

Not really sure, by how often would you need to pack up and office and move it away? Honestly who cares, because an office space stays in one area. You don't need all that, even if your trying to save space, there are other ways to do it.

I would say this "might" be useful in a college dorm room with limited space.

This would be useful if you live in a one room apartment surrounded by a bunch of idiots who wouldn't know there's valuables inside a giant white box over in the corner with a bunch of keyholes in it.

This would be useful if you live in a one room apartment surrounded by a bunch of idiots who wouldn't know there's valuables inside a giant white box over in the corner with a bunch of keyholes in it.

If you are going to go that far, you might as well start building furniture ala Fedex style.

Looks sweet. This would have been perfect when moved headquarters... 6 month job and 4 weeks to set up furniture. Needs to not be white though.. Looks too much like old style Star Trek

I could see this being used for a military or emergency situation.

And I like the Indian girl's voice...lol.

If any American Company would even think about subjecting their employees to something like this, just ask yourself one question: What would Milton do?

Oh, and don't take the red Swingline stapler, the Boston staplers jam!

Very cool, but the annoying chimes at the beginning almost made me stop watching.

agreed.. that was the worst intro to a video i have ever seen..

conclusion: indians are good at desk designs.. bad at video intros

I seriously doubt this would have any use here in america, i'd walk out the door if my boss told me here's your new cubi... err box!

I seriously doubt this would have any use here in america, i'd walk out the door if my boss told me here's your new cubi... err box!

Completely agreed. It is bad enough having to tell people you work in a cubical let alone a damn box. No privacy at all, worthless waste of investors money.

Completely agreed. It is bad enough having to tell people you work in a cubical let alone a damn box. No privacy at all, worthless waste of investors money.

Workers are not entitled to privacy unless they are in the bathroom. Your time at the office is company time, and they have a right to know how you are using it. - I believe this is the pervasive view of the work environment in the U.S.

That said, I wouldn't work in a box either. I like my cubicle though.

Dr. Gregory House M.D. liked it :D
Anyone know why the hell he was shown in the vid? LOL!

I bet that desk doesn't even cost 10k. ;)

It is targeted to the indian companies specifically bangalore. My company has offices over there and when the floods happend it sucked. Imagine the cost savings of cutting power. Going in. folding up the desks and deploying at a new location inside of 3 days. THAT is awsome. Would also be great for disaster recovery scenarios where you need a temp office up in a short amount of time anywhere in the world. Say Red Cross or something.

I gotta say, that idea's pretty genius. It may not float in the US, in in India at one of the Dell or Dish Network call centers, I'm sure it'll make a killing.

OMG that intro had my ADD kicked into overtime. I felt like a 3 year old squirming in his seat trying to get away from it. The accent of that narrator made my teeth hurt too.

BTW, I used to install Hayworth office furniture when I was in college, and it's like retarted easy to install... I really don't see any huge time advantage in installing this, and the end product looks incredibly inferior.

I thought the lowest form of the corporate ladder was working in a cube, or half of one even. But facing a fucking wall? You don't even get 3 or 4 sides, now you're reduced to one. I don't find this great at all.

I was actually too annoyed by the narrators voice to continue with the audio

all in all, imo, a failure of a project.

Pretty crappy idea IMHO.

1) Where does all the computer stuff go? Furthermore, how would I connect the monitor to the computer I provide from elsewhere - is there a VGA cable sticking out to the case tray or do I have to get on my hands and knees?

2) How about ergonomics? Considering the fact that the video states that this is essentially a workstation for companies who move their offices often, I would still be working at this for all of my work hours - I cannot adjust height, etc.

3) How does this facilitate efficiency and work performance? a) This design is not a design that will make workers happy because of the cheap feel and apparent complexity, among other things.b) In today's workspace you want to make it easy for one employee to physically converse with another (no IM) - like simply swiveling your chair around, or turning to the guy next to you. With this design, you have to get up and walk around to see the other person's screen.

4) How does this incorporate advanced technology - i.e., wireless power and LAN's (as would make sense for portable offices that do not have pre-set power and communications infrastructures) (yes I know wireless power is still a ways off but you need to make your design future proof)?
4a) Furthermore, this is not really a completely portable design, it requires the portable workstation to be precisely positioned above power, LAN, etc. which limits the layouts that would help make this design interesting.

Pretty crappy idea IMHO.

You are completely missing the point, its designed to be used in a specific situation. That situation is a call center that needs extra capacity, quickly. No one gives a shit if its comfortable because anyone working in a call center is basically a commodity anyway. If they get a sore back and quit there are plenty of other people to fill that job. I am sorry I didn't counter your lame option with a numbered list but I am only posting to amuse myself, I don't really care that much.

the thing is way to big. I work in a call center and my desk is 1/2 that workspace.

They should have used the intro and music from the Transformers cartoon.

Why do call centers even need PC's when they read from freakin cue cards anyway. Anyways I can see what they are trying to do with the idea, and while it seems they accomplished something...it could definately be better. The size of the monitor is too small for how far away it is....you'd have to crane your neck over the desk and that'd kill my back for sure.

If you want portable call centers how about this setup:

1. Server running virtual os's
2. Chair
3. wireless VR Goggles with mic/headphones
4. wireless input device

am i the only one who thinks this is retarded? It's like they're trying to turn the desk into a laptop... all this provides is a drawer, desktop space, and a phone. Quite frankly, I think this thing is huge for what it does. It's a gimmick at best... The ONLY thing I could ever see it used for was if a temporary office space needed to be setup for a large amount of people, like 500+, for a short duration.. otherwise, it just serves no purpose. A solution for a problem that really doesnt exist I guess

I dont think this idea is retarded. It is definitely not for every application that's for sure, but surely there are specific applications this could be useful for. Like someone said earlier, maybe for like emergency situations whether it be through the military or maybe medical. Maybe certain companies need to be mobile based on their work or time of the year.

Back