Office (Outlook) 2010 Warning

Computer Ed

Weaksauce
Okay folks with Office 2010 beginning to appear tp partners this means we will see it soon in the retail channel. There is an issue when using the 64 bit version of Outlook. Yes office can now be had in 64 bit.

The 64 bit version of Outlook will NOT sync with any Windows phones or with any mobile device that uses Windows Mobile Device Center for syncing.

Microsoft has stated in their partner forums that this issue is with WMDC and not Outlook however while they know of this problem there will NOT be a fix forth coming.

You hear right MS has admited they know the issue and said they will not fix it. They suggest that instead users only install the 32 bit version if they need to sync outlook using WMDC.

This is worse than sad... :confused:

Kyle this is a big enough deal I am wondering if it should not be a front page story. BTW I have the release of 2010 (MAPS) and have confirmed this issue.

If you've got actual links to info on a Microsoft site or forum, it would help considerably. This could prove to be quite a problem for a lot of folks.

Thanks

Yeah it sucks. A bit more study and I was able to find that Microsoft has openly said the 64 bit version is not fully ready yet and for now only people that are using HUGE Excel files of app development should use the 64 bit version. The problem is they kind of hid this.

I am waiting to see what goes on the store shelves because with the move to the 64 bit OS a lot of people will assume that 64 bit is better and buy it.

This to me would akin to Adobe saying "Sure, here's our 64 bit version of Photoshop, works great with big ass images and lots of memory but, every plugin you've bought and paid for since Photoshop v1.0 is now rendered null and void, you'll have to buy them all over again in 64 bit form."

Kinda stretching it but, that's the sort of image I get when trying to translate this into a description of just how serious it could be for a lot of people on the go with mobile devices they fully expected to just work.

The problem is they kind of hid this.
It's been noted in the Office 2010 FAQ for at least a month (i.e. before release), and it didn't work in the betas either. This is the entire section for Outlook 2010, so it wasn't buried inside tons of questions:

Outlook 2010

Question/Issue
Programmability / Add-ins:

Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC) no longer syncs with Outlook when 64-bit Outlook 2010 is installed on 64-bit Windows.

WMDC also no longer syncs with Outlook if you are using a Click-to-Run installation of Outlook.

Upgrading 32-bit Outlook 2007 to 64-bit Outlook 2010 could also result in data loss during first sync with WMDC.

The WMDC will not be upgraded to work with 64-bit Outlook 2010 or Outlook Click-to-Run.

Answer/Workaround
If you need the functionality of WMDC and you have already installed 64-bit Outlook 2010 or Click-to-Run, uninstall Office 2010 and install the standard installation of 32-bit Office 2010.

Otherwise, install the standard installation of 32-bit Office 2010 if you want to continue to use WMDC.

Not the best answer, but it isn't exactly a surprise either.

Back