Office Depot/ Office Max store closures

HvyMtl

[H]ard|Gawd
FYI: Office Depot and Office Max have a series of closings of stores. (They used to compete with each other, before they merged, and therefore have stores too close to each other. Therefore, they are closing the redundant stores.)

Office furniture, supplies, some tech stuff, etc. will go on sale. Supposed to start this weekend.

Be careful. They do a have a liquidator coming in. They sometimes increase the price, then discount, so make sure you are getting a good deal.

Mine was liquidated last year around November. The prices are bad until about 60%+ but by then my store was 90% cleared out.

The one Office Max we had left had c-rap prices when they closed. Was a total waste of time. So yeah, beware those damn liquidators. You say liquidator, I say extortionists. :D

Who can forget the CompUSA closeout/liquidations? That was quite a joke. I know some people actually scored deals, but the good items were gone quickly and it was quite comical to see the prices they had placed on the remaining (not wanted) items.

Kid

Mine was liquidated last year around November. The prices are bad until about 60%+ but by then my store was 90% cleared out.

I don't know about Depot/Max, but when CC and CompUSA went under, there definitely weren't great deals until late in the game, but I got some CDs at good prices and I picked up a file cabinet for 10-25 bucks. They raised the prices a day or so later (when I bought it, the small ones as well as the large 3 drawer 3-4' wide cabinets were all the same price.

Also got some great deals on some TV and speaker stands, which I resold for a hefty profit a month or 2 later.

Who can forget the CompUSA closeout/liquidations? That was quite a joke. I know some people actually scored deals, but the good items were gone quickly and it was quite comical to see the prices they had placed on the remaining (not wanted) items.

Kid

My recollection is that they had no deals until the very end. Prior to that, the stuff was cheaper than CUSA's normal price, but not better than online.

I LOVE Office Max I got some pretty cool drafting Mechanical pencils there along with cool erasers and a few keyboards and a trackball.
I get all of my PC chairs from there.....which is a total of 10 or so since I stated buying them. I mean you get to try them out which is the best part about the place.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was little to no deals due to the fact that Staples owns them both now.

I don't know about Depot/Max, but when CC and CompUSA went under, there definitely weren't great deals until late in the game, but I got some CDs at good prices and I picked up a file cabinet for 10-25 bucks. They raised the prices a day or so later (when I bought it, the small ones as well as the large 3 drawer 3-4' wide cabinets were all the same price.

Also got some great deals on some TV and speaker stands, which I resold for a hefty profit a month or 2 later.

My recollection is that they had no deals until the very end. Prior to that, the stuff was cheaper than CUSA's normal price, but not better than online.

I scored 8 boxes of Bawls for $10 each during CompUSA closing. Came out to almost .50c a bottle, greatest score ever.

I really don't understand why people jump on such crappy deals when you could probably find a better deal online. I went to check out my local TigerDirect that is closing the other day, and most things were still only 10% off and people were buying up a lot of stuff already.

Here is a good thing to know if you are getting a good deal from Office Max/Depot..

Look at the cents of the of the product. ($xxx.91) If the item has $xx.91 in the cents area, that is the first mark down of the price. The final mark down will have $xx.94.

This will give you an idea of the lowest price possible.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was little to no deals due to the fact that Staples owns them both now.
And they'll be the next to go under. Their regular sale prices are ridiculously high and the store layout is a mess. It's as bad as Best Buy.

Staples does not own shit yet. Just like the merger of equals between Office Max and Office Depot, the FTC has to evaluate before making a decision for approval.

Staples does not own shit yet. Just like the merger of equals between Office Max and Office Depot, the FTC has to evaluate before making a decision for approval.

I'm glad the government is standing up for us little guys against those big mean sellers of office products :eek: Price fixing of Papermates will not be tolerated!

Of course it doesn't, but there's really nothing barring the sale other than the few customary lawsuits that every acquisition brings about. Deal will probably close in the next month or two I bet.

Back