Office 2013 to be unveiled Monday

heatlesssun

Extremely [H]
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/technology/story/2012-07-12/microsoft-office-15/56173368/1

This really is the last great unknown piece of Microsoft tech coming this year, assuming that it shows up on Windows RT tablet this year. And it may very well be the most important. Personally, I really want to see OneNote. This really is a fantastic program and in my opinion is the first great tablet application. Office 2013 if it's good I think does put a serious crimp in iOS and Android in the tablet productivity space.

I hope this means the beta launches as well.

Paul Thurrott previewed it back in March; I would assume most of these things will probably come unchanged with the official unveiling today.

I'm most curious to see what happens to the look of the suite on anything other than 8.
Office 2k7 was a very good suite; 2k10 I didn't feel like it improved too much on 2k7. I wonder what this one will bring for people running traditional Windows.

Paul Thurrott previewed it back in March; I would assume most of these things will probably come unchanged with the official unveiling today.

I'm most curious to see what happens to the look of the suite on anything other than 8.
Office 2k7 was a very good suite; 2k10 I didn't feel like it improved too much on 2k7. I wonder what this one will bring for people running traditional Windows.

The rumors are that Office 2013 will only work on Windows 7 & 8, which makes sense since XP support ends in 2014 and Vista is declining rapidly. My guess is that Office 2013 will work very much the same on both 7 & 8, even the touch capabilities since it's still a desktop app and Windows 7 does have essentially the same touch capabilities as 8 on the desktop.

The rumors are that Office 2013 will only work on Windows 7 & 8, which makes sense since XP support ends in 2014 and Vista is declining rapidly.

Wikipedia claims Vista SP2, 7 and 8, although it's not exactly a super credible source of info (especially when in this case there are no sources given). ;)

Sounds like XP's done with 2010 though as the last supported release for sure, which makes sense. I'm actually surprised they got anything past 2007 though if Vista does indeed get 2013 I'm sure we'll be saying the same thing when the next version comes out in 2-3 years. :)

My take on Vista support is that Vista lacks the OS level multi-touch capabilities of Windows 7, so that might represent a technical barrier. Plus I don't see the Vista market as important enough to support this though I guess I wouldn't be surprised if it did. Though yeah, XP is done which as this point I don't think is going to cause too much complaining and might even be cheered.

Back