Office 2010 OneNote vs OneNote Web App (free)

Thuleman

Supreme [H]ardness
So I read somewhere on [H] that someone was using OneNote to successfully keep track of their deployed hardware and quirks that go along with it etc.

I have access to Office 2010 via site license but the issue of course is that a local project can't be accessed from anywhere but the local machine. Then I came across OneNote Web App which is free via office.live.com

My question is; Is there any issue with the web app in terms of essential functionality that is missing when comparing it to the local app? I noticed that I made an Office Live account in September 2009 but haven't used it since. Can't recall why I didn't use it but obviously there was something I didn't like about it.

Any insights into OneNote Web App will be much appreciated.

Not sure if this helps, but you can share the Onenote notebook with multiple computers. Simply create the notebook on a network share and have multiple computers open it from there. All computers will sync any changes in near realtime when Onenote is open.

Although Onenote allows syncing the notebook to Windows Live, this is one option I haven't tried or played with.

If you can get the OneNote 2010 client that's a better way to go I think. There's no issue using notebooks across different machines. As SJ noted you can share and sync notebooks either locally or over the web using the desktop OneNote client. I have my main notebook setup on my sig rig and it syncs up across six other machines. I like it setup this way as I can take my Tablet PCs with me anywhere I want access to my entire notebook collection and not need a network connection.

When I get back home all of my changes will sync up across all of my machines automatically, it's slick as hell. This gives you the best of both worlds and doesn't require a constant connection or cloud storage and you get the full power of OneNote.

Thanks! I had no idea that the OneNote 2010 client would sync to the web. This is very awesome indeed and just what I needed.

Back