Office 2010 no longer on MSDN(AA) - I missed the memo

Thuleman

Supreme [H]ardness
So I am setting up hosted delivery of MSDNAA and just happened to notice that Office 2010 is no longer part of the package.

I look through my program emails and I can't find a notice that they pulled it. I check Google and find some reference that it was pulled in 2010 due to Word XML patent issues and then reinstated later(?).

I contact the program support and they just write that
Please note that the Office 2010 suite will not be available through the MSDNAA
system, by request of the publisher - Institutions must have a Student Select,
Student Option or Work-at-Home agreement through Microsoft in order to have access to
Office products.

How bizarre. Office has been on MSDNAA for ..., well ..., like a decade or something and now it's gone just like that. Anyone have any more info on this?

In the past 4 years that I've been attending university as a CS major I have never seen the full Office suite offered through MSDNAA, only certain applications like Access or OneNote. Same thing goes for ACM and IEEE student/faculty memberships.

In the past 4 years that I've been attending university as a CS major I have never seen the full Office suite offered through MSDNAA, only certain applications like Access or OneNote. Same thing goes for ACM and IEEE student/faculty memberships.

Weird, I had a MSDNAA account and was able to get the full office suite.

Well from an MSDNAA admin perspective I can make certain apps/OSes available or not. The MSDNAA Developer definitely used to come with Office, and I did actually download an MSDNAA Office 2010 DVD last year.

Very bizarre indeed.

Because of users abusing and selling lincenses on ebay.

When I was in college and received mine, we only got 1 license and 1 activation for that license (but that was Office 2003). If someone was reselling, it would have to be a higher up that has access to more than 1 key because of that.

I had access to MSDNAA for 3 years and never had the full version of Office available to me. The software on the site is decided by your site administrator. They may of decided to include it but I do not believe they are supposed to.

I would assume that Microsoft charges universities significantly more for providing Office on MSDNAA, otherwise they would be giving the software away for free and never get anyone to ever purchase the student/university editition.

A quick look at various MSDNAA pages for organizations and universities suggests that it's not commonly offered to students for free (my old university's CS program, IEEE, ACM, and McNeese all do not offer the main Office products through their MSDNAA subscription).

Back