Office 2010 Beta 2 - Your Thoughts?

So, redirect it to a different Personal Folder. It's NBD. It's a option. Microsoft puts options in their products so people have options. That's why there's options.

I get 2 "windows" yes, sorta kinda. The taskbar shows 2 open spreadsheets.
But, if I maximize one, move it, then maximize the other, it opens in the same "window"
That is because there is only one running instance of Excel.exe. The behavior you see is controlled by an option in Excel (Excel Options | Advanced | Display | Show all windows in the Taskbar). This allows you to switch workbooks via the Taskbar. You have to manually launch Excel to get additional instances.

Hated the menu bars layout and design and deleted the beta within a few days, i'll stick with Office 2003 for awhile longer
Moving from 03 to 07/10 is a big change. I don't blame you. It takes a long time to get used to but I'm forcing myself to. It's getting easier over time and you can start to see why they did it. Pretty much everything has a button rather than drilling through menus.

That is because there is only one running instance of Excel.exe. The behavior you see is controlled by an option in Excel (Excel Options | Advanced | Display | Show all windows in the Taskbar). This allows you to switch workbooks via the Taskbar. You have to manually launch Excel to get additional instances.
Ahhhh, so that's a feature huh? Makes sense...
Makes sense but then it doesn't... IDK. I can see both sides of the aisle.

Moving from 03 to 07/10 is a big change. I don't blame you. It takes a long time to get used to but I'm forcing myself to. It's getting easier over time and you can start to see why they did it. Pretty much everything has a button rather than drilling through menus.
Exactly... Easier once you get used to it. And especially easier for novices.

It's also heavily keyboard driven as well, you never have to touch your mouse if you don't want to (Windows 7 follows the same philosophy).

I've got to say, one bug in Outlook I wish they'd fix...

The envelope icon that shows up in the taskbar or "Notification Area" of a new message. If you delete it server-side (from your phone, webmail client, etc)... It syncs outlook but that envelope never goes away.

I dig it so far. My only complaint is that I have to click a meeting twice to open it, and when it does open, it opens twice. Then when I close the requests, Outlook crashes. It could be these piece of shit resource scheduling add-in that we use, though. It's awful.

Finally got the Office Web Apps installed, just starting to dig into. Every slick and it ties seamlessly into SharePoint.

ah ha!
although it still doesn't make sense why you would have to manually start another instance of Excel, when it should open a new instance each time you open a spreadsheet.

I will never get that, especially since there are enough non-computer-savvy people that sometimes don't even understand how to start the application, short of double-clicking their document.

but.... that's just me :D

I agree... Everything else in Windows... Double click opens a new instance, new window, whatever.
Why Microsoft opted out of this with Excel is beyond me.

I will also move to office 2010 once they release its full version :p
hmm or suggest me should i move now only?

No use to move unless you want to test it out.

I personally don't care about testing it out so I'll just wait for RTM :D

Ahhhh, so that's a feature huh? Makes sense...
Makes sense but then it doesn't... IDK. I can see both sides of the aisle.
The other advantage I realized exists with showing each document on the taskbar is the ability to Alt-Tab between them.

although it still doesn't make sense why you would have to manually start another instance of Excel, when it should open a new instance each time you open a spreadsheet.
Well, one example why you don't want that to happen is that you can't copy worksheets between workbooks opened in different instances.

I installed it at work to test it in our production environment and had crash after crash. One of the motivations for me to try it was something called PowerPivot which allows you to join 2 tables (excel sheets) with a common element and run a pivot from that, very powerful stuff.
Eventually I had to uninstall since I couldn't take the bugs.

I don't see how Microsoft has changed enough to make it super buggy like that... 90% of it should be the same.

2003 to 2007 was a huge jump, like XP was to Vista. But 2007 to 2010 is more akin to Vista to 7 jump.

I don't see how Microsoft has changed enough to make it super buggy like that... 90% of it should be the same.

2003 to 2007 was a huge jump, like XP was to Vista. But 2007 to 2010 is more akin to Vista to 7 jump.
Vista and 7 look the same on the outside but are much different inside. 03 to 07 looks different but who knows what behind the scenes stuff is the same. Maybe the long-term changes they want are being done in Office 10.

Back