Office 2003 to 2007

QwertyJuan

[H]F Junkie
Was talking to a guy today at programmersparadise.ca and he confuses me... maybe someone here can help me understand what he meant.

He tells me that Office 2007 licenses are out now, but the media is not available for another month.

Sooooo he tells me he will send me the 2003 media kit, and when the 2007 version becomes available I will be able to update to 2007 automatically via an update tool(Windows update??).... he seemed VERY unsure of himself, and wanted to verify is this is correct or not. OR will I have to purchase ANOTHER media kit in another month, when the 2007 becomes available?? He says no, just upgrade it online.

Thanks a ton for your guys help.

Office 2007 is out for businesses with volume license agreements, MSDN, and TechNet subscribers. Plus you can probably pick up free copies at various launch events around the country if you're an MS partner.

I haven't heard a single thing about updating Office 2003 to 2007 online, so i'm gonna guess that's a load of crap.

Well I kinda figured as much.... ANYHOW.... what I am saying is THIS.... I am trying to purchase this for the school where I work.... we are wanting to buy five licenses for the secretaries, and it's REALLY cheap.... $90cdn each. BUT they don't have the media kit yet. Sooooo I really DON'T want to buy the 2003 media kit, and then turn around and have to buy the 2007 media kit in 3 weeks.(they are only $30 for the kits, BUT why spend it, if I don't have to??)

So, what do you think?? Is he full of it, and I'm going to end up buying the 2007 media kit in 3 weeks anyhow??

Thanks.

Guess it depends on the licensing. If you signed up for a subscription, Vista and Office Enterprise are slated for the January 2007 kit. We get free updated kits monthly as part of the Campus Agreement.

Did you sign up under Academic Open? It might already be available according to this page. I don't know about eOpen, but it's been available from MVLS for download for over 3 weeks now. If they do charge you again for a physical kit, maybe you could just download it and burn the images instead. Plus, the Jan 2007 kits might be 10 days late due to the volume of discs going out (Office, Groove, Sharepoint, Vista, Project, etc...).

Ahhhh I see... I can download it off of the net once I buy my license.... ok cool.... I got hispeed. Shouldn't be a problem.

I dont know about individuals yet, but we got our 2007 disk the other day and my co-worker installed it today. Looks nice. I think I will make the jump during the holiday when I can sit at my desk and play with it.

We are a k-12 school system.

Back