Offered a BFG 6800 Ultra Extreme for $200... Take it?

aNtHrAx323

2[H]4U
A friend of mine offered to sell me his BFG 6800 Ultra Extreme AGP for $200... Should I jump on it given the next generations of cards coming out? I'm on a god-forsaken FX5600 right now, so I want out.

$200? Hell yes.. it's not even a question worth asking.

You could buy it and sell it on eBay for twice as much.

Yes, but BFG didnt make an "Ultra Extreme", probably an OC or he flashed the cards BIOS.

Who cares if he could sell it for twice as much, I would buy it and keep it, and be happy that I paid half as much as everyone else did for the same card. :)

He cares, if he looks past the fact that it's an amazing card for $200. If he wants next gen, he could take it and sell it.

ASUS cards are the extreme version. I read on monarch forums that many people are having issues with BFG cards especially in SLI. They lock up in games and under heavy load propably due to overheating.

zoz123 said:
ASUS cards are the extreme version. I read on monarch forums that many people are having issues with BFG cards especially in SLI. They lock up in games and under heavy load propably due to overheating.

I havent heard of them locking up, but they do generally operate higher than the others, but this is because most of them are slightly OC'd out of the box.

The "Ultra Extreme" cards were cards that never came out. They were Ultra's with 450Mhz core and maybe a slight boost in memory speed. The Asus cards are simply cards that the company names this way to trick the consumer into buying crap.

Skrying said:
The "Ultra Extreme" cards were cards that never came out. They were Ultra's with 450Mhz core and maybe a slight boost in memory speed..

eVGA released a limited quantity and nVidia did not formally speak of their existence.

aNtHrAx323 said:
A friend of mine offered to sell me his BFG 6800 Ultra Extreme AGP for $200... Should I jump on it given the next generations of cards coming out? I'm on a god-forsaken FX5600 right now, so I want out.

There is no BFG Ultra Extreme. Find out if he flashed the BIOS, or if it is just a 6800U OC

I believe the card is watercooled? So you probably wont be able to use it. At least not without getting a NV silencer or something. That may or may not cool well enough to keep the temps down. I would say 470Mhz core would be hard to do on air.

NOoo that's a ripoff.... give me his phone number and I will talk to him about it ;)

heres a better question.... would you like me to hit you in the head with a tackhammer?

..... GET THE CARD ASAP :p

zoz123 said:

He said it was AGP, so don't think SLI is a consideration.

OP.... If you don't plan on upgrading to a PCI Express system any time soon, I would say hell yes. Even if you do, as has been said, sell it when you do, should be able to easily make your money back.

That's less than I paid for my 6600GT.

Ok, I know it was a bit of a dumb question, but I bought it. And yes, the "Ultra Extreme" was released. It's an early pseudonym for the "6800 Ultra Overclocked", but was called the Extreme because BFG made this batch for Falcon Northwest to help them have the absolute cutting edge when the 6800 hit the market. Just do a quick run through Pricewatch and you'll find them... They ain't cheap.

zoz123 said:

No, the Ultra extreme was never sent to retail, other than the Gainward 6800U GS which was clocked like an UE

ASUS and BFG clock their cores to 425

the bfg cards that have overheating problems are the GTs with the two fan design due to poor surface contact

does it matter?? he has a badass card that will eat my ultra for 200 bucks!!!

BFG made a watercooled 6800 Ultra 470mhz core. Maybe that's what he has.

Well, this thing is clocked out of the box at 440 MHz core and 1.2 GHz memory. Slick, I must say :)

Definitely nice being able to run HL2 at 1920x1200 at 60+ fps, and having scaling that works correctly! :D

AFAIK eVGA has Ultra Extremes, 440MHz/1200MHz...but not BFG, he must have flashed the BIOS.

btf said:
BFG made a watercooled 6800 Ultra 470mhz core. Maybe that's what he has.

Bingo. It was THE ultra extreme to get until they discontinued them due to people's shitty watercooling systems not keeping the card cool enough. I was real pissed after I saved up the cash to get it and they tell me that tthe watercooled version now runs at stock speeds....

My BFG runs 440/1200 stock also, so does that mean it's an extreme?
Purchased when they first came out.

Guy probably just said extreme instead of OC. :) I betcha. Just ask to see, maybe even he is confused. It will say right there. I doubt a guy in town flashed the bios. Still a really good deal. Its a card that will set you well for awhile. WAY better than new cards in that price range.

Thanks for the input.

Like I said, it was released when they first came out specifically to Falcon Northwest. My buddy has such a stick up his ass to be on the absolute cutting edge that he called and bartered with them for 2 days until he convinced them to sell him one... For $750. It was called the Ultra Extreme at the time, and I was totally unaware that they later released water-cooled versions. Kinda cool. Regardless, the Source engine is beautiful, and I'm all set for my final and 100% migration to Linux (already bought a subscription to TransGaming.com for Cedega, so I won't be SOL).

Herbs - It's labeled as a 6800 Ultra Overclocked. If that's what you bought, and those are your speeds (just like mine), then it's what you've got :) . They must've just used the name "Extreme" to set it apart before they decided to throw "Overclocked" into the mainstream retail market.

And no, he definitely did not flash the BIOS. I built every single one of this guys' computers since he switched from Mac a few years back, and I think the only time he's ever updated any BIOS of any kind was on a system I built for him based on an Intel reference board which he flashed from within Windows (using an executable downloaded from Intel)... So no, this is how it was shipped :)

If you don't buy it, you might as well step back and re-evaluate your life right about now.

The EE wasEVGA only and was clocked 450/1200and you got a bunch of useless shit with it

Well, it's installed, and I must say... HL2 at 1920x1200 at 8x anisotropic filtering and 4x FSAA is simply mindblowing. I'm experiencing a few framerate dips though, so I'm gonna start looking into overclockin this SOB a bit more (after some cooling changes). Regardless, $200 was definitely worth it.

aNtHrAx323 said:
I'm experiencing a few framerate dips though, so I'm gonna start looking into overclockin this SOB a bit more (after some cooling changes).

hmm, sounds like a dud. Since i hate to see a fellow [H]'er get stuck with a lemmon, what do you say i cover your costs and take it off you hands for $200? :p

btw, you got some cool fuckin friends.

pigpen said:
hmm, sounds like a dud. Since i hate to see a fellow [H]'er get stuck with a lemmon, what do you say i cover your costs and take it off you hands for $200? :p

btw, you got some cool fuckin friends.
Hahahaha, I'll consider it someday.

And yeah, I must say I do. This guy has been my best friend for as long as I can remember, so we've helped each other out quite a bit along the line and this is just another case (and since he's recently gone back to Apple, he's hell-bent on seeing me run the 6800 UE with the 23" Apple Cinema Display on Linux... I've been planning a full migration for a while, but unfortunately the FX5600 has some major problems using adapter-side scaling, whereas the 6800 does it flawlessly).

Congrats on having a great friend. Shesh, 200 bucks for an BFG Ultra OC. Overclock it and see how further it went.

Hell yeah, jump on it!

On a side note, there are like 13 nivida 6800 videocard for sale in like the first 5 pages of the FS forum. And about 9-10 of them were 6800 Ultras!! I think the 7800 GTX being available is why!! So now is a great time to buy a 6800 from the people with the upgrade bug.

Back