Oem vs Retail cpu markings

digiram

[H]ard|Gawd
I just purchased an a64 2800 from a forum member. His thread said that the chip was retail. However, when I got the package and opened the box the marking on the cpu was ada2800aep4ap. Is this chip oem, or retail?? He sent it in a retail box /w stock hsf as well as coa. I still feel that I got a good deal from him, but I'm just wondering.

One more thing

Is thermal greese necessary with the a64 chips?? If so, How do you guys normally apply it??

thanks in advance for any suggestions

I wasn't aware that AMD coded the chip as retail or OEM, the last time I sent one in (2700xp) they(AMD) asked for the number on the fan itself.

digiram said:
I just purchased an a64 2800 from a forum member. His thread said that the chip was retail. However, when I got the package and opened the box the marking on the cpu was ada2800aep4ap. Is this chip oem, or retail?? He sent it in a retail box /w stock hsf as well as coa. I still feel that I got a good deal from him, but I'm just wondering.

A64 OPN Guide:
http://www.amdboard.com/amd64_opn.html

ADA -> AMD Athlon 64 Desktop
2800 -> Speed rating
A -> 754 pin Lidded OµPGA -> Package Type
E -> 1.50V -> Operating Voltage
P -> 70°C -> Case Temp
4 -> 512KB -> L2 Cache Size
AP -> Model 4 up to 1 processor -> Part Definition (Rev C0, 754 pins)

Sounds like a retail box CPU...The OPN's are the same for OEM or Retail, they do not differentiate them.

MD

Back