OEM vendor for work PC's

Kelvarr

Supreme [H]ardness
Currently, we are an HP house. That said, we don't have any specialized pricing due to size (we have ~700 PCs), nor do we have any special tech levels of support other than standard business.

We are in a position where we contracted out some infrastructure work, and we went into that project vendor agnostic. The vendor that won the bid uses Dell equipment.

This got us thinking about switching out desktops out to Dell also, moreso for the sake of only having one support number to call.

What is your guys' opinions on Dell vs HP for OEM vendors? Is there any glaring reason why we should stick with one over the other? Thanks.

I'm an IT guy..... both Dell and HP make good products.
That said, I think you may be able to get a little better pricing from Dell.

Dell paid business support is very good. Free support is terrible.
I haven't dealt with HP support lately, but I'm guessing it's the same.

Setup and in-house support on workstations is pretty much the same on both.
I find setup and in-house support on Dell servers to be easier.

I'm assuming you replace them in groups/departments as needed.
I can't see replacing all of them just to have one brand if that's what you meant.

Next time you have a batch of them up for replacement, order Dells and see how it goes.

I prefer Dell support/warranty. But HP workstations are engineered better (but that's their higher end stuff). For cheapy desktops, Dell is fine.

Convenience and price. Dell tends to win those items.

HP's cheap desktops don't reflect the quality of their high end workstations and server lines. Let's just say, I think Dell Optiplexes are better.

You get more flexibility with their MT. I mean if you just have to have their SFF or USFF, fine, but if you want to be able to easily augment on the cheap, I'd go MT (7xxx or 9xxx).

I'm assuming you replace them in groups/departments as needed.
I can't see replacing all of them just to have one brand if that's what you meant.

Next time you have a batch of them up for replacement, order Dells and see how it goes.

Correct. LOL, no we wouldn't replace all of them just to have one brand. Win10 upgrades suck enough as it is...

From my experience Dell 3 yrs support is great, but the onsite repair dudes in DFW are completely useless, so I opt to send stuff in. Not sure about Hp except rack mount stuff, but dell does a good job with firmware updates even on 5yr old machines to patch out exploits. Also the support assist is clutch to get drivers.

From personal experience, Dell is generally better. Their hardware is on par with HP, but their cases and mounting systems are definitely better (one-touch hard drive and expansion card removal is super super nice).
For consumer desktop use I wouldn't ever touch an HP.

IIRC, Dell also has a training program so your onsite techs can get trained as a certified Dell tech, and get warranty/support work done locally "through Dell" without requiring someone to come from offsite for every case. Not sure if that program is still around though, you'd have to talk to your local rep.

Back