oem Maxtor sata 250gb 16mb buffer HDD

Bad juju. Even though I had a raincheck in my account, they won't honor that price now. If anyone gets the hdd for that price from them, let us know.

Okay, ladies and gentlemen, get your phones out....

the number is: 1-888-611-4165 and you all will be calling them once you recieve the email I just got.

Basically they found out that they priced this sucker entirely too low. Hence the price jacking.

Now the bad news. They are re-routing all the packages back to them.
The worse news. They wont credit your account back until they get the drives back in their possesion. Probably sometime early next week according to the woman on the phone.

This royally sucks and I am royally pissed (not really pissed at them, typos happen, but pissed I'm not getting this drive for $116)
I will be calling them as well as watching my FedEx number to see where this magical package goes (hopefully to my door) and will post back with any furthur details.

My main concern, they say they charged my credit card, my credit card statement (online) doesn't show a charge but does show that there is money missing (no purchase just $116 less than I expect there to be) I now have to call them. Fun fuckin day I have ahead of me.

Now the bad news. They are re-routing all the packages back to them.
The worse news. They wont credit your account back until they get the drives back in their possesion. Probably sometime early next week according to the woman on the phone.

Well that part does suck. Once they shipped the drives the sale has been made and IMO the contracts have been made and it should be their loss. At that point it IS their bad.

Yep, just had the same email myself. According to Fedex tracking, my package left NJ this morning, it will be interesting to see where it goes.

I agree that with them charging your card and shipping theres a contract, but what can you do?

Ditto my email also has the same message... Oh well shit happens.... and worth blowing a heart valve over...

Man that is cold, I am glad I did not order now.......

Let's just see what happens.

If they fail to honor their price, I say boycott them, tell your friends to boycott them, bad bizrate reviews, bad BBB reviews, bad epinions, pricegrabber, etc.

A responsible business will accept the loss of a mistake and then make sure it doesn't happen again, NOT penalize people who find a mistake before them.

Yeah This really blows, Once they bill your credit card, and even if they ship, they should cut the loss.

This reminds me of the Best Buy GeForce4 Fiasco all over again. :p
  1. The product has already transferred hands to a third party. This may constitute acception of the terms of sale.
  2. Everyone got the "Successfully Charged" Email, which sounds like they did indeed charge the cards. (My account does not yet reflect this)
  3. At least with my order, my shipment has crossed state lines. There may be interstate commerce ramifications to this.
  4. Their refusal to refund (I have not confirmed this myself) the money until they have the drives in their posession could constitute inter-state wire fraud.

At this point, I don't really care if I get the drive. I'm not pissed in particular about the drive -- however I'm tired of seeing online retailers (read: Best Buy, Buy.Com, and now ChiefValue.com doing this all the time.

In Michigan, if a store mis-marks an item, they are liable for selling the item at the marked price.

I swear, buying maxtor is like buying bad luck. This is just another example.
sorry to you guys who ordered one, it was a good price.

I'll be sure to leave bad feedback on reseller ratings. Its one thing to refuse an order on a price mistake, i can accept that. But to charge my CC, ship and THEN tell me they are asking Fedex to return the box before delivery is poor service.

Summoner said:
I'll be sure to leave bad feedback on reseller ratings. Its one thing to refuse an order on a price mistake, i can accept that. But to charge my CC, ship and THEN tell me they are asking Fedex to return the box before delivery is poor service.

Can they do this? legally?

Whoa, maybe i haven't been paying attention till now BUT, this is the first time i've heard of a bunch of packages being re-routed due to a price mistake.

It'll be interesting to watch where their resellerratings will go. (i'm betting south)

I can undertsand if they had thousands of orders to fill BUT, if they're just re-routing a hundred drives then it may not be worth the damage in ratings. Cost of doing good bussiness imho. Complaints travel ten times further than compliments in the bussiness world.

SJetski71 said:
Whoa, maybe i haven't been paying attention till now BUT, this is the first time i've heard of a bunch of packages being re-routed due to a price mistake.

It'll be interesting to watch where their resellerratings will go. (i'm betting south)

I can undertsand if they had thousands of orders to fill BUT, if they're just re-routing a hundred drives then it may not be worth the damage in ratings. Cost of doing good bussiness imho. Complaints travel ten times further than compliments in the bussiness world.

They don't have a lot of ratings Every bad one seems to drop them at least a quarter point to 1/2 a point.

Well, the drive got within 20 miles of home before Fed Ex were told to not deliver it. I left feedback on resellerratings and emailed them my comments, i hope everyone else does too.

Mine was out for delivery and then it says the business was closed or unavailable. That really shouldn't happen cuz I had it sent to the university I am at. Hopefully I will be able to pick it up from the fedex depot.

I hate to say this, because I don't wanna make everyone mad at me, but I got lucky and FedEx was fast. I received mine.

Summoner said:
Have they said you can keep the drive at that price though? Id check your credit card or wait for a knock at the door from fed ex ;)

Seems like they did a similar thing on CPUs too - http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=822309 more bait and switch :mad:

They have no choice. Let's look at it this way: I have a bill of sale, an invoice of how much I paid. If they even think of trying to charge me the difference, I will dispute it with my bank (Credit Union) and they'll wipe out the charge - especially when I show them all the emails. Also, if they charge without my authorization they will definately be guilty of inter-state wire fraud.

I got mine too, I had to go pick it up. Now to see if they charge me more. It hasn't showed up on my credit card yet.

wazoo42 said:
I got mine too, I had to go pick it up. Now to see if they charge me more. It hasn't showed up on my credit card yet.
Like I said, if they charge you more - take all your emails to the bank, explain the situation and dispute the extra charges...

Yeah this is really interesting, I got the email like everyone else saying that my order was cancelled, rerouted, whatever.....The next day they ship them, wierd....now I got a tracking #, and track the package, it has been through 3 cities.....ARe these people just the dumbest, most unprofessional people, that don't know what they are doing, or did they change there mind, It looks like I will get them, and if I do and they charge me more, woah I will disput this with Amex in a hurry.

well, kept tracking it, was supposed to get it today, but the FedEx page said it was returned to send

This sucks, where do I go from here?

I really wanted this drive, time to send some hate mail and leave ALOT of bad reviews.

I will NEVER buy anything from this company again, I suggest all of you do the same.

Just because a company makes a mistake and doesn't catch it until after they get sold out, thats not our fault.

Boycott Chiefvalue.com

Is there any type of legal recourse for this? I find no pricing mistake policies on the site or anything that would clear them from not honoring there mis-posted price.

But they still need to face the consequences of their mistake.

Only through experience will they learn not to make the same mistake.

Their actions thus far only go to teach them they can make a mistake, recall a bunch of orders, try to buy us off with $15 coupons, and face no specific consequences.

To err is human...yet as humans we pass judgement and punish millions for so called "errors" or mistakes?

True though, it really isn't that big of a deal.

Hooligan said:
to err is human... :rolleyes:

quit being such hardasses. fuck!

Maybe when you order something and the company takes your money but doesnt deliver you'll change your opinion. :rolleyes:

Tenchi4U said:
Is there any type of legal recourse for this? I find no pricing mistake policies on the site or anything that would clear them from not honoring there mis-posted price.
The specifics vary state-by-state, but generally there is no legal recourse, only negative PR.

Despite the fact that many (most?) folks believe otherwise, no retailer has a legal obligation to sell a product that has been incorrectly priced. Even B&M retailers occasionally have misprints in their ads, and will have a retraction or disclaimer posted in the store. In my experience, if the retailer hasn't caught the price mistake yet, most will let you have it for that price. I recently bought something in a local store that was mispriced. The manager who was checking me out recognized the error, but let me have it for the wrong price. He turned and immediately told somebody to pull the stock off the shelf and fix it. They do that not because they're legally obligated to do so, but more out of good customer service and PR. Keeping a potential repeat customer (as was the case in this example, it was a place I frequented regularly and they knew it) is far more valuable than pissing one off over a few bucks that will never set foot in your store again.

IMHO where ChiefValue really messed up here is in turning around the FedEx trucks. I can forgive their price mistake and cancelling orders before they were shipped, but shipping and then still going after the customer is bad, bad, customer relations. They should have eaten the loss on those already shipped, cancelled those still pending, and apologized for the error. I can virtually assure you that if they had honored the price for those who had already ordered (or at least shipped) that we'd all be singing their praises now and they would probably go right up on my list with Newegg and ZipZoomFly as vendors to shop around with, because customer satisfaction is important to them.

I vote for a ChiefValue boycott as well, and I think one of you who got stiffed should e-mail them a link to this thread... :)

I won't know for sure till I get home from work, I just checked the tracking on the two drives I ordered, and it says delivered. I wonder if it slipped past the system, seeing how it didn't even ship till after there nasty email saying they were rerouting all packages.

Malatov said:
Despite the fact that many (most?) folks believe otherwise, no retailer has a legal obligation to sell a product that has been incorrectly priced. Even B&M retailers occasionally have misprints in their ads, and will have a retraction or disclaimer posted in the store.

This is partially correct (and this varies from state to state). For example, here in Michigan, for B&M stores, yes, if an Ad is mis-printed and the store posts a retraction somewhere publicly viewable the price in the ad does not have to be honored. However, items that are mis-marked with a price tag are required (at least in Michigan) by law to be sold at that price.

Michigan Pricing And Advertising of Consumer Items Act 449 of 1976 states:

445.354 Charging more or less than price indicated; evidence of violation.
Sec. 4. (1) A person shall not knowingly charge or attempt to charge for a consumer item a retail sale price
exceeding the price required to be indicated pursuant to section 3. It shall not be construed to be a violation of this
act to charge for a consumer item a total price less than the price required to be indicated pursuant to section 3.

The reference to section 3 outlines how a price tag is to be displayed on an item and which items are not required to be price tagged.

Michigan [H] people can read up more about the Michigan Pricing Act here: http://www.michiganlegislature.org/documents/mcl/pdf/mcl-act-449-of-1976.pdf

deadsoulz said:
I won't know for sure till I get home from work, I just checked the tracking on the two drives I ordered, and it says delivered. I wonder if it slipped past the system, seeing how it didn't even ship till after there nasty email saying they were rerouting all packages.

Does it say delivered to your city? If so, it wasn't re-routed. Congrats! ;)

They have warehouses in NJ and TN too (they are Newegg remember) so maybe laws there apply too? Im waiting to see what they say after i told them the $15 wasnt good enough. Dont forget to complain to the BBB too - i did.

Summoner said:
They have warehouses in NJ and TN too (they are Newegg remember) so maybe laws there apply too?
Newegg???? Says who? Nobody here said anything about them being Newegg. This is ChiefValue.com we're talking about here. Their internet domain is however registered out of NJ:

Code:
Registrant:
Chang, Yueh-Pai (YLBXQKNNWD)
   78 Brick Plant Road
   South River, NJ 08882
   US

Domain Name: CHIEFVALUE.COM

Administrative Contact:
      Chang, Yueh-Pai  (35737618P)              [email][email protected][/email]
      78 Brick Plant Road
      South River, NJ 08882
      US
      7329678811 fax: 7329679224

Technical Contact:
      Network Solutions, LLC.  (HOST-ORG)               [email][email protected][/email]
      13200 Woodland Park Drive
      Herndon, VA 20171-3025
      US
      1-888-642-9675 fax: 571-434-4620

Record expires on 06-Aug-2005.
   Record created on 06-Aug-2003.
   Database last updated on 25-Oct-2004 21:31:11 EDT.

Domain servers in listed order:

DNS.MAGNELLMAIL.NET          65.119.30.156
   SVL-ANS-01.INET.QWEST.NET    205.171.14.195

Unless I've totally missed something, which is of course entirely possible... :confused:

Okay... something weird is happening.

I got the same emails as everyone else, then I get the $15 off. Fine.

Then I get one saying they got it back. Fine.

Now I get an email about an RMA? Then another about my RMA order. And a third saying my RMA should take 2-3 days.

Hoping thier going to send this fucker back to me. If so I'm definetly calling FedEx and telling them to hold it and I will pick it up.

Credit Card is still showing the order, but not the credit back. But my card doesn't always show transactions immediately. Getting new card because of this.

I can post the emails if anyone wants.

Malatov said:
Newegg???? Says who? Nobody here said anything about them being Newegg. This is ChiefValue.com we're talking about here. Their internet domain is however registered out of NJ:

Code:
Registrant:
Chang, Yueh-Pai (YLBXQKNNWD)
   78 Brick Plant Road
   South River, NJ 08882
   US

Domain Name: CHIEFVALUE.COM

Administrative Contact:
      Chang, Yueh-Pai  (35737618P)              [email][email protected][/email]
      78 Brick Plant Road
      South River, NJ 08882
      US
      7329678811 fax: 7329679224

Technical Contact:
      Network Solutions, LLC.  (HOST-ORG)               [email][email protected][/email]
      13200 Woodland Park Drive
      Herndon, VA 20171-3025
      US
      1-888-642-9675 fax: 571-434-4620

Record expires on 06-Aug-2005.
   Record created on 06-Aug-2003.
   Database last updated on 25-Oct-2004 21:31:11 EDT.

Domain servers in listed order:

DNS.MAGNELLMAIL.NET          65.119.30.156
   SVL-ANS-01.INET.QWEST.NET    205.171.14.195

Unless I've totally missed something, which is of course entirely possible... :confused:

Their billing, ordering and warehouse system is all newegg. I'll try and dig out where i read they are connected to the egg.

Yeah, I'd be interested in the details on that Newegg connection. Newegg walks on water in my book, and to have them a part of something like this doesn't add up, unless they're just acting as a supplier or something and aren't actually running the business. In which case they need to know that this operation is pissing off good customers and possibly giving Newegg bad PR.

Back