Odyssey OLED G8: Official Introduction | 34" Samsung OLED

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
Samsung just released this official video of their upcoming OLED Ultrawide gaming monitor;

Probably opening a big can of worms here but what would be better, 175hz with .1ms response time or 240hz with 1ms?
I will say that on my xb271hu bumping the response time to overdrive, while it created ghosting it made things so beautifully fluid when moving them around I couldn't resist upgrading to an m27q x (240hz and like half the response time according to rtings)

Probably opening a big can of worms here but what would be better, 175hz with .1ms response time or 240hz with 1ms?
I will say that on my xb271hu bumping the response time to overdrive, while it created ghosting it made things so beautifully fluid when moving them around I couldn't resist upgrading to an m27q x (240hz and like half the response time according to rtings)
The higher refresh rate, OLED is still limited by sample and hold.

I've got the AW3423DW, and I found my old G9 Neo was still a better experience overall in motion

Neither of those numbers are anywhere near correct. The problem with LCDs is their response times are heavily inconsistent, and vary widely depending on what color they transition to and from. Even fast 240hz ones typically have >10ms response times for some colors. This will produce awful ghosting in certain cases.

On the other hand, OLED is much more consistent, staying within 0.5ms no matter what transition is happening. Overshoot is also not an issue at all.

Which is subjectively better probably depends on the specific content, but realistically the other benefits of OLED make it a pointless comparison. Incrementally less motion blur in only SOME cases(worse in others) is hardly any compensation for trash tier LCD black levels. To me at least.

Neither of those numbers are anywhere near correct. The problem with LCDs is their response times are heavily inconsistent, and vary widely depending on what color they transition to and from. Even fast 240hz ones typically have >10ms response times for some colors. This will produce awful ghosting in certain cases.

On the other hand, OLED is much more consistent, staying within 0.5ms no matter what transition is happening. Overshoot is also not an issue at all.

Which is subjectively better probably depends on the specific content, but realistically the other benefits of OLED make it a pointless comparison. Incrementally less motion blur in only SOME cases(worse in others) is hardly any compensation for trash tier LCD black levels. To me at least.
Definitely wouldn’t call it a pointless comparison, I still regret getting rid of my Neo G9 for the AW3423DW.

Ugh, where is my 6k 1000nitt HDR OLED productivity/grading monitor for $1000 coming?
Display tech, so slow.

I'll wait until they have an ultrawide with 2160p vertical so I can at least get normal 4k for games that don't work well with the ultrawide format. Also while I have a Samsung OLED tv and occasionally use it for games, I'd like to wait a while longer on others experience with using it as a main monitor long term.

It would be nice if Samsung differentiated their model names a little more.

Ugh, where is my 6k 1000nitt HDR OLED productivity/grading monitor for $1000 coming?
Display tech, so slow.
Well, make that 165+ Hz and I'm pretty sure people would line up to pay 5 figures for it.

Hell, I'd be tempted to take out a loan if it came with a 5+ year burn-in warranty.

Back