Odyssey Neo G8 - 4K 240 Hz 32" Quantum Mini LED

DLSS 3 actually makes 240fps a real possibility (Yes yes I know, fake frames, input lag, yada yada yada) I tried it out on Bright Memory Infinite completely maxed out including all RT, DLSS set to Quality mode with frame generation enabled and was getting over 150-160fps at 4K.

I'm getting 225+ fps on cod @4k max settings with my 7950x + 4090 using DLSS and its pretty epic. Im actually more than competetive against the console tards with their massive aimbots.

DLSS 3 actually makes 240fps a real possibility (Yes yes I know, fake frames, input lag, yada yada yada) I tried it out on Bright Memory Infinite completely maxed out including all RT, DLSS set to Quality mode with frame generation enabled and was getting over 150-160fps at 4K.
Fair - I don’t play any games where that matters (I’m single player only outside of star citizen) that much - 140 is good by me! Never competitive games certainly - 240 is overkill. 4K, hdr 1000, max settings, 140hz/fps, and I’m happy. Just don’t want to blow 3k on a screen.

240 is overkill only until you've used it. This monitor is literally 2x+ clearer in motion vs a PG32UQX which is a one trick pony (HDR).

240 is overkill only until you've used it. This monitor is literally 2x+ clearer in motion vs a PG32UQX which is a one trick pony (HDR).
I care a lot more about HDR than motion. I play RPGs and RTSs and things like subnautica and horizon.

I’ve used 240hz screens. Didn’t make a drop of difference to me- I’ve got a 144hz screen locked to 120 as I can generally keep a locked 120 FPS and ignore it - at any quality setting (1440P and a 3090)

Resolution and quality win for me every time. I’m picky - and it drives me nuts to have things like scan lines on the screen, so from my perspective, this isn’t a 240hz screen. I’d be searching every pause menu or action scene for them and when I saw them it would make me pissy.

Plus I’m just not sold on the curve. I have a G9 and while I love it for work stuff (it’s on a different system), I’m not fond of it for games.

Last edited:
I know this sounds crazy but a 4000hz polling mouse actually looks and feels tangibly smoother on this monitor.
I upped my MZ1 RGB sensitivity from Cyan to Green...never could have used this setting on 144hz monitors

I care a lot more about HDR than motion. I play RPGs and RTSs and things like subnautica and horizon.

I’ve used 240hz screens. Didn’t make a drop of difference to me- I’ve got a 144hz screen locked to 120 as I can generally keep a locked 120 FPS and ignore it - at any quality setting (1440P and a 3090)

Resolution and quality win for me every time. I’m picky - and it drives me nuts to have things like scan lines on the screen, so from my perspective, this isn’t a 240hz screen. I’d be searching every pause menu or action scene for them and when I saw them it would make me pissy.

Plus I’m just not sold on the curve. I have a G9 and while I love it for work stuff (it’s on a different system), I’m not fond of it for games.

PG32UQX would be epic for your needs. Still my favorite monitor for bright HDR, BRIGHT SCREEN and super POPPY colors.

Wake me up when there is a 4k240 version with 10,000 fald zones and faster pixels though....I'm greedy and want it all when it comes to a display lol

So end of the year is approaching and I noticed a local store is going to sell a small batch of the G8 for 999 euros next Friday. I'm kinda tempted to get one and try it out considering I can return it if I don't like it. The price seems right. I took a look at a demo model of the older G7 32" 1440p at a store today and the size felt quite right and I was not bothered by the curve.

I was thinking of waiting for the 8K x 2K super ultrawide, but have concerns that it will have all the problems of the current ones: no HDR/VRR in PbP mode, fullscreen in apps tends to be annoying as you get black bars, games not working well with the aspect ratio. I expect it will also be quite expensive at release. I am also feeling that equivalent size of 2x 27" 4K is smaller than I would like for gaming purposes. I feel my LG CX 48" is better showing off the extra detail of 4K than my 28" G70A.

How are y'all feeling about this display now that 4K 240 fps is actually possible either through sheer 4090 horsepower, DLSS and/or frame generation? How bothered have you been about the scanlines which most likely won't get fixed? Are you facing any other problems other than the HDR dimming not following EOTF curves quite right to avoid blooming?

^^ If you read the last two pages you will find enough user impressions to make your decision.

I love the G8. I use it for both work productivity and gaming. I predominantly play flight sims and FPS though, so if you play RTS type games or stuff like that then maybe a pg32uqx.

Setting keybinds in CSGO for fps_max 120 and fps_max 240 (or 999) I am confident saying I can not reliably, or perhaps even hardly ever, tell the difference. RTX 3070 + 5600x + Gigabyte M27Q X, I get around 400fps in the game. 120 really did seem to be the sweet spot as toggling between 120 and 110 I could just begin to notice a difference.

PG32UQX would be epic for your needs. Still my favorite monitor for bright HDR, BRIGHT SCREEN and super POPPY colors.

Wake me up when there is a 4k240 version with 10,000 fald zones and faster pixels though....I'm greedy and want it all when it comes to a display lol
Oh I do too - but I try to grab them when it's "this tech is finally there and starting to trickle down" - 4k FALD is out there, just wish it was a ~little~ cheaper right now.

So end of the year is approaching and I noticed a local store is going to sell a small batch of the G8 for 999 euros next Friday. I'm kinda tempted to get one and try it out considering I can return it if I don't like it. The price seems right. I took a look at a demo model of the older G7 32" 1440p at a store today and the size felt quite right and I was not bothered by the curve.

I was thinking of waiting for the 8K x 2K super ultrawide, but have concerns that it will have all the problems of the current ones: no HDR/VRR in PbP mode, fullscreen in apps tends to be annoying as you get black bars, games not working well with the aspect ratio. I expect it will also be quite expensive at release. I am also feeling that equivalent size of 2x 27" 4K is smaller than I would like for gaming purposes. I feel my LG CX 48" is better showing off the extra detail of 4K than my 28" G70A.

How are y'all feeling about this display now that 4K 240 fps is actually possible either through sheer 4090 horsepower, DLSS and/or frame generation? How bothered have you been about the scanlines which most likely won't get fixed? Are you facing any other problems other than the HDR dimming not following EOTF curves quite right to avoid blooming?

I personally wouldn't bother with buying a new display right now with CES just around the corner. Yes I know whatever is announced at CES will not come out for months, possibly even years if it's an Asus product. But it would suck to buy a G8 only to see something much better announced at CES and obsolete the G8 a few months after.

I personally wouldn't bother with buying a new display right now with CES just around the corner. Yes I know whatever is announced at CES will not come out for months, possibly even years if it's an Asus product. But it would suck to buy a G8 only to see something much better announced at CES and obsolete the G8 a few months after.
That's a fair point too. I am tempted by the about 300-500 euros cheaper sale price and immediate availability of the G8 though.

Scanlines really don't bother me at all. You have to be sitting really close for them to cause an issue IMO and in actual games/content they are very difficult to spot even when peeping.

4090 + G8 is a crazy combo and at this point I refuse to settle for less than 240hz (maybe 200hz if its the right combination of panel tech/size/HDR). I ended up getting rid of my C2 because this monitor just feels light years faster/smoother and the PPI difference started to really bother me. I lose OLED contrast but in exchange the monitor is way brighter in larger window sizes so its a pick your poison situation.

Screenshot 2022-11-17 130825.png

This is what the G8 support page is showing so hopefuly a firmware update is coming.

Scanlines really don't bother me at all. You have to be sitting really close for them to cause an issue IMO and in actual games/content they are very difficult to spot even when peeping.

4090 + G8 is a crazy combo and at this point I refuse to settle for less than 240hz (maybe 200hz if its the right combination of panel tech/size/HDR). I ended up getting rid of my C2 because this monitor just feels light years faster/smoother and the PPI difference started to really bother me. I lose OLED contrast but in exchange the monitor is way brighter in larger window sizes so its a pick your poison situation.

View attachment 527529

This is what the G8 support page is showing so hopefuly a firmware update is coming.
In the country I live in, the g8 costs $1200 and the g7 is $1100. Do you think I should get the g8 or g7? Does the g8 scanlines issue bother you? Does it do HDR? Is the image quality worth buying? my current monitor is Samsung odyysey g5 144hz 2k

If you have an EDU email you can get both for pretty cheap right now - That's the price with an EDU emal. My old college email is still active, picked up the G7 for just under 700 after tax. Don't want to deal with scanlines. Now I'm slightly regretting purchasing a 6800 XT, guess I'll just have to use FSR and turn the setting down for a while until I can get my hands on a 7900 XT or XTX. Even without the EDU email it's 800.

32" Odyssey Neo G7 4K UHD 165Hz HDR2000 - $655.99

32" Odyssey Neo G8 4K UHD 240Hz HDR2000 - $839.99

I would pay the difference for the G8 just for the variable overdrive and way better overdrive tuning in general. Custom res it to 165hz or whatever to avoid scanlines.

If you have an EDU email you can get both for pretty cheap right now - That's the price with an EDU emal. My old college email is still active, picked up the G7 for just under 700 after tax. Don't want to deal with scanlines. Now I'm slightly regretting purchasing a 6800 XT, guess I'll just have to use FSR and turn the setting down for a while until I can get my hands on a 7900 XT or XTX. Even without the EDU email it's 800.

32" Odyssey Neo G7 4K UHD 165Hz HDR2000 - $655.99

32" Odyssey Neo G8 4K UHD 240Hz HDR2000 - $839.99

Nice find ! Just grabbed the G7 to use as a 2nd monitor for FPS, $655 is just too good to pass up

I would pay the difference for the G8 just for the variable overdrive and way better overdrive tuning in general. Custom res it to 165hz or whatever to avoid scanlines.
This is probably a valid point I just don't care haha I'm coming from a 32 inch 1440p monitor. I'll be fine with it for the next 3 years or so, by then 32 inch 4K OLED should be around.

This is probably a valid point I just don't care haha I'm coming from a 32 inch 1440p monitor. I'll be fine with it for the next 3 years or so, by then 32 inch 4K OLED should be around.
Yeah I know its really preference given $184 separate the two but for anyone else on the fence the Neo G7 is kind of smeary in comparison even at like for like refresh rate vs the G8. This is really important for me because VRR carries my experience and the G8 performs consistently across the refresh rate.

Screenshot 2022-11-21 113411.png

Yeah I know its really preference given $184 separate the two but for anyone else on the fence the Neo G7 is kind of smeary in comparison even at like for like refresh rate vs the G8. This is really important for me because VRR carries my experience and the G8 performs consistently across the refresh rate.

View attachment 528474

those scan lines tho .......

Do I need an HDMI 2.1 cable or is it enough to just use DP 1.4? Thinking about ordering a high quality cable but I do have some very nice display port cables.

Hello, forgive my English, I am Spanish and I use a translator :), I have had 6 neo G7 and 6 neo G8, to do tests and changes since some were defective, so in the end I have stayed with the neo G8. I wish I could get rid of the flickering I get when using gsync and adaptive sync, I can't stand the flickering it produces in menus and games. I know turning on VRR eliminates flicker, but that adds stutter. My question is, is there a way to create a custom resolution with custom Hz? from the nvidia panel it is not possible, unless the panel frequency is reduced to 120hz, and that does not allow me to go higher. I have tried with CRU custom resolution utility, but I am unable to get anything... could someone help me? Thanks in advance! :)

Do I need an HDMI 2.1 cable or is it enough to just use DP 1.4? Thinking about ordering a high quality cable but I do have some very nice display port cables.
HDMI 2.1 is funky on these still with a lot of people having issues getting higher than 120hz. Just use DP.

Amazon and Bestbuy have the neo 8 for 999.99. I cant decide between the Neo G8 or The LG 42 C2.

Amazon and Bestbuy have the neo 8 for 999.99. I cant decide between the Neo G8 or The LG 42 C2.
FWIW I have the Asus PG42UQ and used to use a LG CX 48. I still see an advantage with 240+hz and the G8 is probably the best PQ you can get at high refresh until newer OLED models come out. I have a G8 coming in tomorrow to compare to my 42 OLED as well as my 360 Asus IPS. With return periods you should have plenty of time to try it out.

I'd rather use the C2 but my desk is a built in, no shot I can fit it on there and sit comfortably. 32 inches is my sweet spot. Depends on if you want a higher refresh rate or not, I don't mind 120 as my max.

What kind of issues does it have over HDMI 2.1?
Some people are stuck at 120hz while others have 240hz working. Its a 40Gbps HDMI 2.1 port so its capable but probably just another firmware mishap.

Some people are stuck at 120hz while others have 240hz working. Its a 40Gbps HDMI 2.1 port so its capable but probably just another firmware mishap.
Would it theoretically make any real difference? I guess if DSC is capable enough it shouldn't matter right?

Would it theoretically make any real difference? I guess if DSC is capable enough it shouldn't matter right?
The main advantage is that you can do 240hz/12bit over HDMI vs DP being limited to 10bit due to the lower bandwidth.

I'm reading there are differences between windows 10 & 11 in terms of HDR implementation (auto HDR for win 11, also fixes some issues with monitors washing out), has anyone noticed a difference with this monitor?

Auto HDR is better with W11 but it won't matter for this monitor currently because HDR on the desktop is busted and translates to Auto HDR games being busted too. They are all blown out and washed out where as native HDR games look okay.

La principal ventaja es que puede hacer 240 Hz/12 bits a través de HDMI frente a DP, que está limitado a 10 bits debido al menor ancho de banda.
If I connect hdmi 2.1, I get 240hz at 12bits, but I can't activate gsync, is it normal?

Back