Odyssey Neo G8 - 4K 240 Hz 32" Quantum Mini LED

Just want to report that now that I have had more time to adjust the settings (black equalizer and backlight to high), example video 4 at 2:20 looks MUCH closer to the OLED as far as minimizing black crush. However, these settings lead to noticeably more bloom in worst case FALD scenarios (the star field in the same video).

Still, this thing is competing with a $4000 OLED with a true RGB pixel substructure and mostly looking the same or better in most scenes. Damn impressive.

Just want to report that now that I have had more time to adjust the settings (black equalizer and backlight to high), example video 4 at 2:20 looks MUCH closer to the OLED as far as minimizing black crush. However, these settings lead to noticeably more bloom in worst case FALD scenarios (the star field in the same video).

Still, this thing is competing with a $4000 OLED with a true RGB pixel substructure and mostly looking the same or better in most scenes. Damn impressive.

What Black Equalizer setting did you use?

Neo G7 review is up which should be identical minus refresh rate:

1657827790564.png

Lol.....

I don't even buy that chart. I'm curious to know what real content he measured for the monitor to output 1230nits or even 1054nits @ 25% window because brief flashes of 900ish nits were a stretch when I measured stuff that was in the 5-10% ball park size.

To my eye, it looks no where near as bright in content as that chart indicates.

I don't even buy that chart. I'm curious to know what real content he measured for the monitor to output 1230nits or even 1054nits @ 25% window because brief flashes of 900ish nits were a stretch when I measured stuff that was in the 5-10% ball park size.

He mentions that monitor does get very dim in other scenarios, where highlights that are supposed to be 700 nits gets nerfed all the way down to 300 nits. So it looks like how bright it gets is going to wildly vary based on content, not a consistent experience. Also, input lag is 10ms with local dimming enabled so here come all the "iTs ToO lAgGy FoR mY sWeAtY cOmPeTiTiVe ShOoTeRs" complaints just like on the Alienware QD-OLED thread.

Do you have it on Auto or High? I noticed that the Auto setting completely skips over small highlights to stop blooming. Stuff like Ori and the wisp in Ori: WOTWs or the torch, HUD, and item pick ups in HZD are dimmer than everything else to avoid blooming. Turning it to high brought the highlights back up. Even the blue light on the Strider was brighter than it was on Auto. Honestly, they should have named Auto something like "Bloom-less" or "Bloom-reduction" since that's the majority of what it does. High and low are actually more traditional FALD algorithms.

He mentions that monitor does get very dim in other scenarios, where highlights that are supposed to be 700 nits gets nerfed all the way down to 300 nits. So it looks like how bright it gets is going to wildly vary based on content, not a consistent experience. Also, input lag is 10ms with local dimming enabled so here come all the "iTs ToO lAgGy FoR mY sWeAtY cOmPeTiTiVe ShOoTeRs" complaints just like on the Alienware QD-OLED thread.

There's this bizarre thought that a lot of people have (especially on the monitors subreddit) that "gaming" means only "competitive gaming." I'm pretty sure it's not anywhere close to noticeable unless you were playing shooters...in which case, I'm sure people would be using the BFI/MBR over local dimming.

Edit: Funny thing I noticed about that chart....if you look at Rtings review of the QN90B, The behavior is incredibly similar. Brightness drops by nearly half at 50% and goes down 200 nits more for 100%. Actually, 50% and below, this monitor is about 200 nits dimmer than the QN90B. Sad part is....this is probably still the best HDR implementation of a FALD compared to the PG32UQX and the horror-story the people who have the X32 FP in other countries are going through. Those got bright, but they came with a super slow IPS panel and blooming with a high black point.

Last edited:
There's this bizarre thought that a lot of people have (especially on the monitors subreddit) that "gaming" means only "competitive gaming." I'm pretty sure it's not anywhere close to noticeable unless you were playing shooters...in which case, I'm sure people would be using the BFI/MBR over local dimming.

Edit: Funny thing I noticed about that chart....if you look at Rtings review of the QN90B, The behavior is incredibly similar. Brightness drops by nearly half at 50% and goes down 200 nits more for 100%. Actually, 50% and below, this monitor is about 200 nits dimmer than the QN90B. Sad part is....this is probably still the best HDR implementation of a FALD compared to the PG32UQX and the horror-story the people who have the X32 FP in other countries are going through. Those got bright, but they came with a super slow IPS panel and blooming with a high black point.

I don't disagree at all. I think out of all of the FALD monitors out there the Neo G7 is still the one to get right now. I'm bummed that I missed out on the pricing error when people were snagging them up for $800, but if it ever hits that low again whether it's an actual discount or a pricing error and I'm able to get it then I will. I just don't see much reason to shell out full price for one since my X27 from 2018 is still running strong and honestly it just feels like the G7 would be more of a sidegrade rather than a full blown upgrade since I would be trading the X27's HDR brightness for the G7's faster pixels + 165Hz.

Last edited:
Looks like I'm stuck waiting another year, there's no way I can do any productivity work on this thing. Really excellent review, bummed there's nothing that's flat, 32 inch, 4k 144hz+ at around this price. Maybe QD-OLED will be around at the end of 2023.

Looks like I'm stuck waiting another year, there's no way I can do any productivity work on this thing. Really excellent review, bummed there's nothing that's flat, 32 inch, 4k 144hz+ at around this price. Maybe QD-OLED will be around at the end of 2023.
Do you mean that's a VA Panel, or has FALD? If you're just looking for a 32'', 4k, 144hz option, there's the M32U. If you're looking fora FALD option, the X32 FP is coming out in the US at some point soon (it's already out in other countries.) Then there's the Cooler Master GP27-FUS. Granted, both those have 576 dimming zones. Just be warned, the blooming will be insane and the black point being high will still mean the black look kind of greyish.

Do you mean that's a VA Panel, or has FALD? If you're just looking for a 32'', 4k, 144hz option, there's the M32U. If you're looking fora FALD option, the X32 FP is coming out in the US at some point soon (it's already out in other countries.) Then there's the Cooler Master GP27-FUS. Granted, both those have 576 dimming zones. Just be warned, the blooming will be insane and the black point being high will still mean the black look kind of greyish.
I'm waiting for HDR, if I buy a 4k monitor now I'll replace it for a FALD or OLED monitor in like a year, I like keeping monitors for at least 3 years.

Samsung miniLED packed with the algorithm is not that bright but already brighter than OLED.
You need to wait for AUO/BenQ next-gen LED/miniLED optimized for IPS. It's called amLED in general. PG27UQ IPS already has good LED, good dimming control as well.
Not many people know that the most expensive part of a HDR monitor is the backlight LED, not the panel itself.

Can anyone give https://www.eizo.be/monitor-test/ a try and check out the 3rd slide (uniformity) to see if this is just terrible QC or they al have a huge DSE band dead center because both mine and my brothers have it. Originally gave this thing to my wife to use but swapping between it and a flat side display made her nauseous (lmao) so went to sell to a friend but he wants nothing to do with it because of the DSE. It looks much worse in person almost like the right half is darker than the left and is most noticeable with HDR content on solid colors like the skies in games.

20220715_155215.jpg

20220715_155656.jpg

Last edited:
Can anyone give https://www.eizo.be/monitor-test/ a try and check out the 3rd slide (uniformity) to see if this is just terrible QC or they al have a huge DSE band dead center because both mine and my brothers have it. Originally gave this thing to my wife to use but swapping between it and a flat side display made her nauseous (lmao) so went to sell to a friend but he wants nothing to do with it because of the DSE. It looks much worse in person almost like the right half is darker than the left and is most noticeable with HDR content on solid colors like the skies in games.

View attachment 492372

View attachment 492373
Yours seems to be particularly bad. I tried getting a good picture of mind, but it kept showing a very darkspot on the right side that isn't there at all in person.
50%

20220715_194213.jpg

75%
20220715_194459.jpg

75% looks a lot worse than it does in person. The curve kind of distorts the image on the camera.

Yeah yours is better than both of ours. My picture is of my bros, gave him mine since it was cleaner but both had identical DSE/band down the center just to varying degrees. Looks like this may be some manufacturing trait with some of these panels.

Yeah yours is better than both of ours. My picture is of my bros, gave him mine since it was cleaner but both had identical DSE/band down the center just to varying degrees. Looks like this may be some manufacturing trait with some of these panels.
My first Neo G7 had the same defect. I returned it and the 2nd one was better. Your average consumer probably wouldn’t notice it. My wife didn’t think anything of it, I actually noticed it when using notepad on a bright white background.

I just got my replacement neo g8 from amazon today.

Old one seems to be little brighter than the new one at same settings.

Old one is on newer firmware 1003 and replacement monitor is on 1002.

There is an issue with the new neo g8, there is noticeable flickering when running gync demo on the left side of the moving bell. Flickering is resolved when turning on VRR control.

The old neo g8 does not have flickering whether vrr control is on or off.

It would be cool if you guys can check your monitors and tell me what firmware you are on and test with vrr on and off with gsync demo

Thanks

I just got my replacement neo g8 from amazon today.

Old one seems to be little brighter than the new one at same settings.

Old one is on newer firmware 1003 and new one is on 1002.

There is an issue with the new neo g8, there is noticeable flickering when running gync demo on the left side of the moving bell. Flickering is resolved when turning on VRR control.

The old neo g8 does not have flickering whether vrr control is on or off.

It would be cool if you guys can check your monitors and tell me what firmware you are on and test with vrr on and off with gsync demo

Thanks
A friend who has a 1003 version firmware says his desktop flickers too with FALD on high the same way the Gsync pendulum demo does.

A friend who has a 1003 version firmware says his desktop flickers too with FALD on high the same way the Gsync pendulum demo does.

Ok thanks for confirming so it is not a firmware issue. I need to decide which one to return.

Old one is perfect except for the fudge coating spot. Replacement monitor is also good but has much smaller black fudge dot in the corner but has flickering issue. I don’t see flickering on desktop or playing hdr videos on YouTube.

Does your friends monitor have flicker with vrr control on? Because there is no flicker with vrr control on.

I saw no flicker with VRR on my 1002.1 version in games other than loading screens nor do I see it on the desktop. He's saying he sees very subtle flicker on his 1003 during gameplay that is visible in skyboxes and stuff but also when he sets FALD to high and has two windows side by side, opening a folder or app on the other half causes the entire screen to flicker.

VRR control on alleviates flicker but causes really bad stutter. Its basically disabling VRR that's why the flicker goes away.

I saw no flicker with VRR on my 1002.1 version in games other than loading screens nor do I see it on the desktop. He's saying he sees very subtle flicker on his 1003 during gameplay that is visible in skyboxes and stuff but also when he sets FALD to high and has two windows side by side, opening a folder or app on the other half causes the entire screen to flicker.

VRR control on alleviates flicker but causes really bad stutter. Its basically disabling VRR that's why the flicker goes away.

I now see the flicker on my old monitor as well, like you say it is not very pronounced and it is very hard to notice. it is more pronounced on the replacement monitor.

I am not sure if VRR control disables vrr, that would cause screen tearing and no point of turning on G-Sync.

I heard on the G9, turning vrr control causes micro stutter, but I don't seem to be getting micro stutter with VRR control on. I played doom eternal for an hour or so...

I now see the flicker on my old monitor as well, like you say it is not very pronounced and it is very hard to notice. it is more pronounced on the replacement monitor.

I am not sure if VRR control disables vrr, that would cause screen tearing and no point of turning on G-Sync.

I heard on the G9, turning vrr control causes micro stutter, but I don't seem to be getting micro stutter with VRR control on. I played doom eternal for an hour or so...
VRR control is doing some kind of frame duplication and you can see some investigation here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidem...ungs_consumer_deception_truth_of_vrr_control/

I can pretty clearly see the difference between VRR control on/off on this monitor. With VRR control on it looks like Vsync off but no visible tearing which looks terrible in smoothness compared to VRR control off.

Today, I no longer see flickering on the replacement monitor with VRR control off with default settings. maybe it needed break in time?

it was especially bad in notepad but it is gone same with Pendulum demo.

Today, I no longer see flickering on the replacement monitor with VRR control off with default settings. maybe it needed break in time?

it was especially bad in notepad but it is gone same with Pendulum demo.
Were you using the supplied DP cable?

I couldn't help getting one in to try out, seeing the mixed reception everyone else has been giving it here. Honestly, I'm really impressed with the HDR on this thing; it looks really good.

I'm not so impressed with the SDR on it… which is the bulk of the content I'm looking at on my screen. It looks muted out and desaturated. I'm not sure if it's because of the thick matte coating or if the actual colors underneath are just poor, but the end result is horrible. It makes me want to run back to my LG 5K, which is 5 years old (not my unit, but the monitor) with no HDR, no variable backlighting, no variable refresh rate, and no high refresh rate.

no. I need a longer cable so I am using my old one
That might be the reason you're seeing issues. Vega mentioned that he ran into problems when he didn't use the supplied DP cable. I would look into getting another DP cable if I were you. Something like THIS .

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I couldn't help getting one in to try out, seeing the mixed reception everyone else has been giving it here. Honestly, I'm really impressed with the HDR on this thing; it looks really good.

I'm not so impressed with the SDR on it… which is the bulk of the content I'm looking at on my screen. It looks muted out and desaturated. I'm not sure if it's because of the thick matte coating or if the actual colors underneath are just poor, but the end result is horrible. It makes me want to run back to my LG 5K, which is 5 years old (not my unit, but the monitor) with no HDR, no variable backlighting, no variable refresh rate, and no high refresh rate.
Are you on the default custom preset or sRGB?

Hi. I've had this monitor for a few days now and wanted to report some observations after learning a few things from this thread.

I don't think this was mentioned here, but I turned the monitor to Gamma Mode 3 in the color options while in HDR mode, and it at least appears to give a more accurate, less washed-out image. This accomplishes what people were trying to do with the Contrast Enhancer or Black Equalizer without crushing dark and light levels so much. I tested out the Eizo Gamma Test in Windows SDR mode with sRGB mode on in the monitor, and I got 2.2/sRGB gamma as expected in the default mode of 1. With HDR mode enabled in Windows and custom color mode on the monitor, the image looks washed out by default and I get around 1.8 gamma in that same gamma test. Black Equalizer and Contrast Enhancer doesn't touch the gamma at all, so they're only band-aid fixes. Turning the gamma mode to 3 in the color settings though changes the result to around 2.0 for me. Still below what you'd typically want, but it's certainly less washed out, and I think the image is nicer. The brightness levels go down just a little as a result, though. So maybe Samsung is trying to cheat out some extra brightness by messing with the gamma curve by default? I wonder if you can calibrate the display for HDR mode to improve performance even more. I don't have a calibration tool to do this though, and Hardware Unboxed only provides sRGB calibration profiles to supporters, no HDR.

One thing I've noticed is that I'm seeing some banding on people's faces in the transition from light to shadow. My phone camera isn't capturing this well unfortunately, but some banding happening here along his cheekbone, for instance. I have 10-bit color enabled in the nvidia drivers. Is this something that can be fixed by using 12-bit color? And will VRR still work with an Nvidia card through HDMI 2.1?

Last edited:
That might be the reason you're seeing issues. Vega mentioned that he ran into problems when he didn't use the supplied DP cable. I would look into getting another DP cable if I were you. Something like THIS .
Before mounting my monitor, I tested it with supplied cable. Had same issues.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Update:

I sold my AW3423DW. In dark games with nighttime scenes the AW3423DW is optimal but I would rather have 4k, the 16:9 aspect ratio and the still pretty good contrast that the Neo G8 offers. It also helps that I picked up my G8 for $1,170.

Update:

I sold my AW3423DW. In dark games with nighttime scenes the AW3423DW is optimal but I would rather have 4k, the 16:9 aspect ratio and the still pretty good contrast that the Neo G8 offers. It also helps that I picked up my G8 for $1,170.
ya. I agree. I also have a GX 55 Oled in my gaming room which is awesome but it is good for couch gaming not for desk. 32 inch is perfect for 4k. Even with some issues, I think G8 is great. I also picked it up from amazon for 1099 + tax at midnight when prime day started.

Back