Odyssey Neo G8 - 4K 240 Hz 32" Quantum Mini LED

Nah thats not going to get fixed and is intentional on Samsungs part. Neo G9 behaves identically to this day. The smaller the highlight in real content the more their FALD algorithm limits brightness to prevent bloom unless APL is very low like test slide conditions. Its only up to around 10% sizes that they let the panel flex because the larger the highlight the less perceived bloom to the eye and even then the stars have to align in terms of APL for a 10% highlight to really get bright. The alternative is how something like the PG32UQX behaves where even tiny stuff like those in the picture get blasted to 600nits+ and cause a huge amount of bloom to pollute the surrounding area. This is Samsungs compromise.

Smaller highlights like that will always look razer sharp in terms of brightness and defnition on a OLED compared to this monitor. Its difficult to come to a conclusion currently regarding brightness because the HDR is busted right now and enabling contrast enhancer as a bandaid screws stuff up on its own.

You can see though from the picture that even up against a OLED its black levels are pretty impressive and thats thanks to how aggressive the FALD is in maintaining an overall bloom free frame. I'm going to wait 1 firmware update before writing it off because I see the potential is there but just held back by terrible implementation on Samsungs part. This is the first LCD I've ever used where the pixel response is close enough to OLED to not bother me.

BTW this was the only highlight I could manipulate in any game I tried to get the monitor over 800nits+

20220709_145719.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I was testing the local dimming with very little on the screen and with things displayed mostly against completely black backgrounds, and in those cases I felt it Auto was more aggressive.

Also, here is a picture comparison in RE2 in a dark scene between the Neo G8 and AW3423DW. My biggest compaint with the Odyssey is that with the local dimming certain scenes are just too dim especially when compared with the QD-OLED.

The caution signs on the canister-like objects just get lost in darkness on the Odyssey and I haven't been able to rectify that with local dimming on.

Side question, is anyone else having an issue with this monitor where you can't turn on DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution) in NVIDIA Control Panel? I don't see the option at all.

Odyssey Neo G8
View attachment 490540

AW3423DW
View attachment 490541
Reconfigure the HDR slider. The scene has less than 20% window highlight.

Also I think DSR isn't possible on monitors that use DSC but someone else can confirm.

Also I think DSR isn't possible on monitors that use DSC but someone else can confirm.
Yeah a confirmation would be nice to have, it would be a bit of a bummer if true. 8k looks so good in early 2010's titles like Metro 2033 for example.

Yeah a confirmation would be nice to have, it would be a bit of a bummer if true. 8k looks so good in early 2010's titles like Metro 2033 for example.
Drop down to 120hz for your desktop refresh rate and see if DSR becomes available.

I get what you're saying, maybe it's true for monitors but for TVs it doesn't seem to be the case. My friend has a really nice QLED TV I watched the Hobbit on, and watched a bit of the same movie on my brother's C1 and the picture quality seemed night and day to me. I suppose maybe if the the QD-OLED gives you eye strain it could be an issue. I think the brightness is pretty solid in the HDR 1000 mode, but I'm not totally sure. Haloing on a monitor seems like it would be more of an issue too, when I'm watching a movie from a distance I don't notice it as much.
AW3423DW QD-OLED has massive ABL on HDR1000 mode. C2 TV is larger, the ABL impact has less effect. But ABL is still a lot on both of them.
Samsung's miniLED monitors could have black level issues or less color space. But it is already a lot brighter than OLED.
Compared to other FALD True HDR 1000 monitors, OLED doesn't look good.

Hello Everyone.

I have received the neo g8 about a week ago and I have been using it expensively.

I currently have PG32UQ and LG OLED GX and Neo g8 connected to the RTX 3090.

So far I am pretty impressed with Neo G8 and I love the black levels, it is miles ahead of PG32UQ which has edge lit dimming zones which looks horrible.

the heavy coating does not bother me as much, having no reflection is nice when coding.

I have tried to find the scan line issue on the G8 at 240hz but I don't see them unlike the pictures from reddit.

My Neo g8 does not have any dead pixels but it does have a minor defect which looks like a smudge on the coating(not outside), it is very small but visible in light back grounds but disappears when viewed from angle. I have a replacement coming this Thursday.

It also appears I have newer firmware version on the monitor 1003.0 then the person who posted earlier.

I don't see the any firmware updates available on the support page, but I do see the monitor driver which I installed.

I tried check the Korean Samsung site for the firmware updates but odyssey neo g8 is not even listed on the Korean version of the Samsung site. They do have the neo g7 listed.

For those of you who are considering going back down to a small 32" after owning a 42" 48" 50" display with hdr mini led or oled I would advise against it.

Just for the hell of size comparison I threw up my previous 32" 1440p curved 165hz monitor and it was laughably miserable as far as the size & overall experience is.

I immediately disconnected the little 32" screen and threw it back in the basement never to be seen again unless used as a spare troubleshoot monitor, I'm not even kidding lol.

Going back to the 50" mini led hdr display I can assure you there is NO WAY I will ever go back to anything smaller than a 40" minimum. So, there is no amount of hype that can overcome the smallish size of this monitor. Yes, it is small imo. It is just too tiny in comparison now and there is no going back no matter how fast it is the size compromise affects the experience way too much to even consider this as an option.

Now if this was in 42" or 48" I would probably have one on my desk right now testing it out for a couple weeks & I'm sure larger faster displays will be coming soon in 2022-2023.

For those of you who are considering going back down to a small 32" after owning a 42" 48" 50" display with hdr mini led or oled I would advise against it.

Just for the hell of size comparison I threw up my previous 32" 1440p curved 165hz monitor and it was laughably miserable as far as the size & overall experience is.

I immediately disconnected the little 32" screen and threw it back in the basement never to be seen again unless used as a spare troubleshoot monitor, I'm not even kidding lol.

Going back to the 50" mini led hdr display I can assure you there is NO WAY I will ever go back to anything smaller than a 40" minimum. So, there is no amount of hype that can overcome the smallish size of this monitor. Yes, it is small imo. It is just too tiny in comparison now and there is no going back no matter how fast it is the size compromise affects the experience way too much to even consider this as an option.

Now if this was in 42" or 48" I would probably have one on my desk right now testing it out for a couple weeks & I'm sure larger faster displays will be coming soon in 2022-2023.
Just position it closer to take up the same FOV?

All depends on your desk, mine is a built in, I can feel my neck straining and eyes burning out of my head sitting infront of a 50 inch lcd panel.

Not sure if the Neo G8 does this, but one of the reasons I returned my Neo G7 was massive vertical gamma shift. Unless I raised the monitor height to a point that it was no longer ergonomically feasible (IMO), the bottom, middle, and top of the screen all had a different colors. Gradually shifting even in a solid screen color. Showed like a sore thumb in Discord or this Forum. G7 and G9 were like that for me too, I guess that's just a VA thing? Couldn't stand it for even a minute.

Apart from that I noticed no scan lines or flicker. Blacks and local dimming were good. HDR was okay. I ended up very much not liking the 32" 4k format at all, very subjective but it's simply just not for me. Personally felt too tall for my use cases (work and games). I also lost a lot of FPS but sadly didn't notice that much of a difference in gfx.

Last edited:
Hopefully this newer firmware fixes my scanline issues. I'm also on the older version.
Hopefully Samsung will post the new firmware on their support site soon.

I have been trying to see the scan lines based on the reddit posts for G9, but I cant see them. Maybe I am blind.

You can perhaps confirm once the new firmware is available.

Hopefully Samsung will post the new firmware on their support site soon.

I have been trying to see the scan lines based on the reddit posts for G9, but I cant see them. Maybe I am blind.

You can perhaps confirm once the new firmware is available.
The scanlines are present at times on the red horizontal post headers of this forum.

I have the firmware version 1003 too, ordered it on the 4th and I still have scanlines.

EDIT: I just bought my first HDMI 2.1 cable so I'm going to test if I can use 4k 240hz & Nvidia DSR with it.

Last edited:
I have the firmware version 1003 too, ordered it on the 4th and I still have scanlines.
Think that all monitors have the scanlines but some people just don't notice them? Or some monitors really don't have the scan line issues? I know for sure that at 120hz they disappear, but at 240hz it's clearly present.

Think that all monitors have the scanlines but some people just don't notice them? Or some monitors really don't have the scan line issues? I know for sure that at 120hz they disappear, but at 240hz it's clearly present.
At 240hz I see them easily when sitting close to the screen on certain colors. I suspect some people may not know what scanlines look like so they are unable to identify that they're there. I would guess that most panels have the issue and that people don't notice them. If not, it's great that not all panels have that defect but it would be bad that they would allow defective panels ship out...

At 240hz I see them easily when sitting close to the screen on certain colors. I suspect some people may not know what scanlines look like so they are unable to identify that they're there. I would guess that most panels have the issue and that people don't notice them. If not, it's great that not all panels have that defect but it would be bad that they would allow defective panels ship out..

No matter what I do, I can not see them. I spent too much time looking for them so now I just enjoy the monitor.

I have a replacement neo g8 coming this Thursday. (I am returning this one due to very minor defect on coating - very small fudge spot near middle to the left). Once I get the replacement monitor, I will look for the scan lines again.

I seen the examples of scan lines on neo g9 but I don't see them on my g8. Maybe you can post a picture with scanline example on your G8? that would be helpful.

Hopefully we will get better support from Samsung in the near future.

Thanks

EDIT: I just bought my first HDMI 2.1 cable so I'm going to test if I can use 4k 240hz & Nvidia DSR with it.

I thought DSR only at 120hz?
Didn't know HDMI 2.1 can do 4k 240hz. hmm maybe with DSC?

I have both the NEO G7 (for one day so far) and LG 32EP950 OLED monitors. I also had the PG27UQ for two years until it died recently and the PG32UQX. I have also had a few other FALD monitors that are not worth comparing. I am posting my impressions. These are the some VERY quickly made 4K HDR videos (shot on iPhone 13 Pro) to compare the 32EP950 OLED and NEO G7 (G7 is on the right) both playing 4K HDR YouTube content:

Neo G7 initial impressions:

*No scanlines except in VERY rare situations. Example would be the intro video FF VII Remake with the clouds. You can see them very visibly in the clouds. Honestly, this is essentially NOT an issue. You have to try hard to find content to get them to appear. Cannot speak to the G8.
*Coating is ok. Kind of makes the image a *little* "soft", but it's not that bad.
*For MacOS users - this thing actually runs 4K 120hz on a Mac.... I have NEVER had a high hz 4K monitor be able to run anything greater than 4K 60hz on a Mac.....
*I agree with those who say black levels are OLED black in your eye unless you are doing a direct comparison with OLED.
*Seriously question if this thing is anywhere close to 2000 nits.... Probably 1000 nits tops to my eye.
*Bloom/halo essentially DO NOT EXIST when viewed head on.
*Tested quickly on PS5/XSX. Everything appeared to work great - VRR, 120hz, 4K, HDR. Full HDMI 2.1 bandwidth.
*Curve is a non-issue. I noticed it for the first few minutes. After that, your eyes/mind adapt and you don't even see it unless you think about it.
*Probably in order to minimize bloom/halo, worst case scenario scenes for an FALD (like the particle effects on black in the last FF VII Remake video above) simply do NOT appear on screen... obviously, the zones are getting too dim in those areas of the screen. Notice how more particles are CLEARLY visible on the OLED but simply don't even appear visible on the G7.
*100% am keeping this monitor. It is a total win IMO.

G7 vs 32EP950:

*G7 is CLEARLY brighter. Really bright parts of the screen look dull on the 32EP950 OLED in comparison.
*G7 does really well in dark scenes, but 32EP950 wins here hands down. Can clearly see detail in really dark areas that are not visible on G7. (G7 still annihilates non-FALD, non-OLED monitors in dark content, however.)
*Colors are more vibrant on the G7.

G7 vs PG27UQ:

*PG27UQ gets MUCH brighter in certain scenarios.
*G7 actually has noticeably better halo/bloom performance. (I consider the PG27UQ to be the best halo/bloom performance I have seen before this in a monitor, so this is HIGH praise.). This is, however, at the expense of certain details in dark scenes just being visible....

G7 vs PG32UQX:

*PG32UQX is complete TRASH in comparison to G7 (and PG27UQ). It is a massive bloom/halo fest with one of the worst FALD algorithms I have ever seen for three times the cost of the G7.

CONCLUSION:

I 100% recommend the Neo G7. I am keeping it. If you can get it on sale/with discounts, it is one of the best monitors you can get for gaming purposes right now hands down. If you are looking for true HDR gaming on on a monitor on both PC and HDMI 2.1 consoles (PS5/XSX), you can't go wrong. To me the only consideration at this point is what matters most to you - better dark scenes or bright scenes? If one dark is more important, go OLED. If dark, go G7. If you are 50/50 and don't care much either way, probably go G7.

No matter what I do, I can not see them. I spent too much time looking for them so now I just enjoy the monitor.

I have a replacement neo g8 coming this Thursday. (I am returning this one due to very minor defect on coating - very small fudge spot near middle to the left). Once I get the replacement monitor, I will look for the scan lines again.

I seen the examples of scan lines on neo g9 but I don't see them on my g8. Maybe you can post a picture with scanline example on your G8? that would be helpful.

Hopefully we will get better support from Samsung in the near future.

Thanks
Look at the Battlenet Icon and the Microsoft Edge Icon

Attachments

• 240hzEicon.jpg
    240hzEicon.jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 120hzEicon.jpg
    120hzEicon.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 0
  • 240zhBicon.jpg
    240zhBicon.jpg
    461.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 120hzBicon.jpg
    120hzBicon.jpg
    458.4 KB · Views: 0
Yeah the G7/G8 easily have the best contrast performance of any LCD monitor up to now. If you don't have an OLED beside it to really A/B between there really is little to complain about when it comes to its FALD performance other than crushing small highlights and some pretty minor bloom in the absolute worst case scenarios like really small particle effects moving across the night sky, etc.

I'm still really amazed at how clean this thing is in motion. There is some pale purple overshoot if you look (move your dark mode Windows 11 display settings window across the screen) but in actual games its like 90% as clean as an OLED while also offering significantly better motion clarity if you can manage 160FPS+.

As for HDR, TBH to the eye it really only "looks" marginally brighter than my C2. If I had to quantify it's like 25% brighter most of the time. Given how aggressively it dims at higher APL its disappointing how dim highlights are. I don't even think its panel or backlight limitation, its just Samsung is hellbent on reducing bloom so much that they settled on this level of brightness as if they focus grouped the HDR to what it is.

I have both the NEO G7 (for one day so far) and LG 32EP950 OLED monitors. I also had the PG27UQ for two years until it died recently and the PG32UQX. I have also had a few other FALD monitors that are not worth comparing. I am posting my impressions. These are the some VERY quickly made 4K HDR videos (shot on iPhone 13 Pro) to compare the 32EP950 OLED and NEO G7 (G7 is on the right) both playing 4K HDR YouTube content:

*No scanlines except in VERY rare situations. Example would be the intro video FF VII Remake with the clouds. You can see them very visibly in the clouds. Honestly, this is essentially NOT an issue. You have to try hard to find content to get them to appear. Cannot speak to the G8.
*Coating is ok. Kind of makes the image a *little* "soft", but it's not that bad.
*For MacOS users - this thing actually runs 4K 120hz on a Mac.... I have NEVER had a high hz 4K monitor be able to run anything greater than 4K 60hz on a Mac.....
*I agree with those who say black levels are OLED black in your eye unless you are doing a direct comparison with OLED.
*Seriously question if this thing is anywhere close to 2000 nits.... Probably 1000 nits tops to my eye.
*Tested quickly on PS5/XSX. Everything appeared to work great - VRR, 120hz, 4K, HDR. Full HDMI 2.1 bandwidth.
*Curve is a non-issue. I noticed it for the first few minutes. After that, your eyes/mind adapt and you don't even see it unless you think about it.
*Probably in order to minimize bloom/halo, worst case scenario scenes for an FALD (like the particle effects on black in the last FF VII Remake video above) simply do NOT appear on screen... obviously, the zones are getting too dim in those areas of the screen. Notice how more particles are CLEARLY visible on the OLED but simply don't even appear visible on the G7.

G7 vs 32EP950:

*G7 is CLEARLY brighter. Really bright parts of the screen look dull on the 32EP950 OLED in comparison.
*G7 does really well in dark scenes, but 32EP950 wins here hands down. Can clearly see detail in really dark areas that are not visible on G7. (G7 still annihilates non-FALD, non-OLED monitors in dark content, however.)

G7 vs PG27UQ:

*G7 actually has noticeably better halo/bloom performance. (I consider the PG27UQ to be the best halo/bloom performance I have seen before this in a monitor, so this is HIGH praise.). This is, however, at the expense of certain details in dark scenes just being visible....

G7 vs PG32UQX:

*PG32UQX is complete TRASH in comparison to G7 (and PG27UQ). It is a massive bloom/halo fest with one of the worst FALD algorithms I have ever seen for three times the cost of the G7.

CONCLUSION:

I 100% recommend the Neo G7. I am keeping it. If you can get it on sale/with discounts, it is one of the best monitors you can get for gaming purposes right now hands down. If you are looking for true HDR gaming on on a monitor on both PC and HDMI 2.1 consoles (PS5/XSX), you can't go wrong. To me the only consideration at this point is what matters most to you - better dark scenes or bright scenes? If one dark is more important, go OLED. If dark, go G7. If you are 50/50 and don't care much either way, probably go G7.

Thanks for the detailed notes! Especially happy to hear that it can run 4K 120 Hz on MacOS which is not a given. Does HDR support work on MacOS at 120 Hz?

For showing two displays side by side it would be better to film them separately from the same distance and then stitch them together in a video editor so the camera does not measure white point etc based on one or viewing angles don't have an effect.

G7 vs 32EP950:

G7 vs PG27UQ:

G7 vs PG32UQX:

CONCLUSION:

On the example 4 vid at 2:20 is that just the exposure on the camera or is it actually black crushing the scene that bad that the entire right half of the screen is missing?

On the example 4 vid at 2:20 is that just the exposure on the camera or is it actually black crushing the scene that bad that the entire right half of the screen is missing?

Just checked. In real life, the black crush isn't quite as bad, but yes, there is a lot of black crush going on. I just turned off the "contrast enhancer" setting. That helped to some extent as well.

@TsbitPrik

Please show us photos from the ufo test of your Samsung Neo G7. Samsung is historically using much slower panels, for monitor with <240 hz, with huge black to grey response times, causing massive black smearing. In addition the heavily increased other transition times are leading to distinctive motion blur.

@TsbitPrik

Please show us photos from the ufo test of your Samsung Neo G7. Samsung is historically using much slower panels, for monitor with <240 hz, with huge black to grey response times, causing massive black smearing. In addition the heavily increased other transition times are leading to distinctive motion blur.

RTings has purchased both a G7 and G8 so we will be able to get a direct comparison between the two at some point and find out if that's the case.

Until Rtings releases their review (I believe they said late this week or next,) there was a user on reddit that measured the G2G response times for VRR 240, 180, and 120hz. It's here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/vwsabn/neo_g8_review_part_1_sdr/

Basically, an average of 1.67ms GTG with a total response of 4.42ms @240hz.

Anyway, I've had the Neo G7 for two weeks now. I haven't had any issues with it (no scanlines, ect,) which are probably due to it not being set to 165hz. I saw someone on reddit claims he got to overdrive it to 200hz, but, considering CRU isn't locking out any adjustments, I highly doubt he actually did.

I have noticed something with the Local Dimming. Besides the already known issue with it being a bit off in EOTF (due to the backlight being raised too high in dark areas,) I noticed that there IS a difference between Local Dimming on "Auto" and "High." They're mostly the exact same in HDR content, but Auto will not emphasis very small highlights (like the mouse button or a HUD/white text,) where as the high setting will. You can actually see the zones if you few it off angle, and the phone does emphasis blooming that you don't see in person as much.

Here's local dimming on High:
Local Dimming on High 1.jpg

Here's local dimming on Auto:
Local Dimming on Auto.jpg

If you look at the torch on the left and the big bright spot, you can see that the "High" setting is brighter with those two areas. The text (especially Back and Quit) are both a lot brighter as well. You can't see that blooming in person unless you go off access, but they're definitely brighter.

Here's another case:
Local DImming High
Local Dimming on High 2.jpg

Local Dimming Auto:

Local Dimming on Auto 2.jpg

Besides the text being obviously higher, you can see the item pick up on the center-left of the screen has the zones activated on the High setting, but it isn't on the Auto setting.

Now, I will note that HZD at night is very, very, very, very prone to black crush on every display in HDR that I've tried it on. That includes the LG C1 AND C2.

Another fun thing I found was that Contrast Enhancer does introduce a lot of crush and I don't think it actually corrects much. If anything, it overcorrects. Black Equalizer, however, controls how bright/dark the backlight is in dark spots. You can see it when you look off access. By setting Black Equalizer to ~17, it corrected the lifted blacks without crushing it completely like Contrast Enhancer did. It also corrected the saturation/color being way off compared to SDR.

No dsc needed.... It can do 8k60 which is the same bandwidth needed :) for 4k240. 8k = 4x the pixels of 4k.
Interesting, my HDMI 2.1 cable came in today, I've plugged it into the Neo G8 and I have HDMI 2.0+ and 240hz selected in the OSD. I checked and even with HDR disabled the option for Nvidia DSR is not there. I wonder if HDMI 2.1 is actually working?

Interesting, my HDMI 2.1 cable came in today, I've plugged it into the Neo G8 and I have HDMI 2.0+ and 240hz selected in the OSD. I checked and even with HDR disabled the option for Nvidia DSR is not there. I wonder if HDMI 2.1 is actually working?
I'm not him, but I noticed CRU and Nvidia custom ratios do not work. It just won't accept them. Yet, some people are able to do it, so IDK.

Back