Odyssey Neo G8 - 4K 240 Hz 32" Quantum Mini LED

It is always the excuse of 1000bits can burn eyes. 1000nits is fine as long as the light source doesn't flicker. But AW3423DW is an OLED. It has worse flickers bonded with refresh rate which harms eyes in long term.
Sure if u say so 😑

It
Sure if u say so 😑
It's already captured on camera. AW3423DW flicker is below 175Hz. It is invisible but it can strain the eyes.

At most, miniLED from Samsung like G8 has the invisible PWM flicker around 958Hz. Samsung miniLED frequency is probably 15000Hz. It can drop below 1000Hz with local dimming but it is much better than QD-OLED 175Hz.
1657245309253.png

The miniLED from PG is DC dimming all along. This is a big difference.

HDR will get brighter to PQ 10,000nits. It is set as a standard for a reason. Flicker at high brightness needs to be dealt with first or it will be just like AW3423DW that doesn't even pass HDR 600 but already causes eye strain.

It

It's already captured on camera. AW3423DW flicker is below 175Hz. It is invisible but it can strain the eyes.

At most, miniLED from Samsung like G8 has the invisible PWM flicker around 958Hz. Samsung miniLED frequency is probably 15000Hz. It can drop below 1000Hz with local dimming but it is much better than QD-OLED 175Hz.
View attachment 490010

The miniLED from PG is DC dimming all along. This is a big difference.

HDR will get brighter to PQ 10,000nits. It is set as a standard for a reason. Flicker at high brightness needs to be dealt with first or it will be just like AW3423DW that doesn't even pass HDR 600 but already causes eye strain.

Great , let me chuck my OLED for a glowy IPS right now.

Great , let me chuck my OLED for a glowy IPS right now.
Have you ever seen FALD VA like G8/G7? FALD is better than OLED. OLED is mid-tier. If you have comparison, you won't say the same. Good luck using the flickering AW3423DW for long.

Have you ever seen FALD VA like G8/G7? FALD is better than OLED. OLED is mid-tier. If you have comparison, you won't say the same. Good luck using the flickering AW3423DW for long.
I've seen every kind of display imaginable starting from monochrome CRTs of yore, and have a high end FALD VA tv from Samsung...😉

FWIW premium VA TVs even edge lit ones have decent HDR, the NU8000 I had for a while pleasantly surprised me with it's HDR capabilities, barely any blooming to speak of, my G70A edge lit IPS monitor looks cartoonish in comparison despite being a very recent upper end monitor.

Last edited:
I've seen every kind of display imaginable starting from monochrome CRTs of yore, and have a high end FALD VA tv from Samsung...😉

FWIW premium VA TVs even edge lit ones have decent HDR, the NU8000 I had for a while pleasantly surprised me with it's HDR capabilities, barely any blooming to speak of, my G70A edge lit IPS monitor looks cartoonish in comparison despite being a very recent upper end monitor.
Again, good luck using the flickering dimmer AW3423DW for long unless you use it 10 feet away like one of your TVs. The way you praise AW3423DW makes me confirm that you have no idea what a true HDR1000 monitor is capable of.
Funny even IPS X27 looks better than AW3423DW in both SDR and HDR. OLED is the worst in HDR. OLED will only turn out to be as good as a SDR calibration monitor.

Last edited:
This monitor is so bizarre. Was testing HDR media and noticed the letterbox bars were grey. Thought it was just Obi Wan HDR file I was using so I threw it up on my C2 and got pitch black bars.

Moved it back to the G8 and went way off axis to see WTF the FALD is doing and got my answer:

20220707_221925.jpg

Basically the FALDs behavior seems to be completely based on APL even when it shouldn't be necessary. If APL is high enough it will not turn off zones completely. I'm guessing they're doing this as yet another attempt at managing bloom but it really backfires in movies/shows like this.

Last edited:
Again, good luck using the flickering dimmer AW3423DW for long unless you use it 10 feet away like one of your TVs. The way you praise AW3423DW makes me confirm that you have no idea what a true HDR1000 monitor is capable of.
Funny even IPS X27 looks better than AW3423DW in both SDR and HDR. OLED is the worst in HDR. OLED will only turn out to be as good as a SDR calibration monitor.
Sadly after this comment, I have no choice but to ignore.Enjoy your FALD displays. 'OLED worst in HDR' can probably be a funny meme.🤣

This monitor is so bizarre. Was testing HDR media and noticed the letterbox bars were grey. Thought it was just Obi Wan HDR file I was using so I threw it up on my C2 and got pitch black bars.

Moved it back to the G8 and went way off axis to see WTF the FALD is doing and got my answer:

View attachment 490060

Basically the FALDs behavior seems to be completely based on APL even when it shouldn't be necessary. If APL is high enough it will not turn off zones completely. I'm guessing they're doing this as yet another attempt at managing bloom but it really backfires in movies/shows like this.
Obi Wan originals use DV and their HDR10 recodes are not good, hence LG panels superiority here since no Samsung screens even sadly QD OLEDs support DV.

Don't listen to these two. They are two LG OLED shills who like to trash FALD LCD, don't even know how to test a monitor properly.

OLED cannot maintain brightness. HDR doesn't look that good in comparison.

The top-tier products from manufacturers are always FALD LCDs. They have the brightness and contrast. They don't flicker like QD-OLED.

Of course, Samsung G8/G7 with ABL backlight are not true HDR1000 monitors because they are mid-tier in FALD LCD with relative low price. But it is still better than OLED that has even more ABL.

It's obvious enough to see the difference between a true HDR 1000 FLAD monitor and the latest QD-OLED. OLED monitors cant catch up with HDR with low brightness. OLED flickering hasn't been solved in high brightness. That's why manufacturers are trying to popularize FALD LCD much more than OLED.
ISO 100, shutter speed 1/125
52201430947_c3fbbed5e1_o_d.png

ISO 100, shutter speed 1/25
52202702244_85a7b11986_o_d.png

In some cases, even in SDR, a true FALD HDR 1000 monitor with its caliber can look even better than HDR on AW3423DW due to ABL.
52202429031_b8c1eb3658_o_d.png

52202455918_0f92476f49_o_d.png

DC dimming HDR vs AW3423DW flicker HDR

People thought OLED with the infinite contrast looks better. It doesn't. The contrast of OLED loses to FALD LCD if the brightness is not enough. The infinite (x/0) contrast of OLED is not the true contrast due to the compromise of brightness. The higher the brightness goes without rising the black level, the more contrast the monitor displays. And FALD LCD has more contrast in this regard.

Obi Wan originals use DV and their HDR10 recodes are not good, hence LG panels superiority here since no Samsung screens even sadly QD OLEDs support DV.
Ah I see. That makes sense.

Today is the official launch so hopefully we get some legitimate reviews.

OLED cannot maintain brightness. HDR doesn't look that good in comparison.

The top-tier products from manufacturers are always FALD LCDs. They have the brightness and contrast. They don't flicker like QD-OLED.

Of course, Samsung G8/G7 with ABL backlight are not true HDR1000 monitors because they are mid-tier in FALD LCD with relative low price. But it is still better than OLED that has even more ABL.

It's obvious enough to see the difference between a true HDR 1000 FLAD monitor and the latest QD-OLED. OLED monitors cant catch up with HDR with low brightness. OLED flickering hasn't been solved in high brightness. That's why manufacturers are trying to popularize FALD LCD much more than OLED.
ISO 100, shutter speed 1/125
View attachment 490128

ISO 100, shutter speed 1/25
View attachment 490129

In some cases, even in SDR, a true FALD HDR 1000 monitor with its caliber can look even better than HDR on AW3423DW due to ABL.

DC dimming HDR vs AW3423DW flicker HDR

People thought OLED with the infinite contrast looks better. It doesn't. The contrast of OLED loses to FALD LCD if the brightness is not enough. The infinite (x/0) contrast of OLED is not the true contrast due to the compromise of brightness. The higher the brightness goes without rising the black level, the more contrast the monitor displays. And FALD LCD has more contrast in this regard.

I get what you're saying, maybe it's true for monitors but for TVs it doesn't seem to be the case. My friend has a really nice QLED TV I watched the Hobbit on, and watched a bit of the same movie on my brother's C1 and the picture quality seemed night and day to me. I suppose maybe if the the QD-OLED gives you eye strain it could be an issue. I think the brightness is pretty solid in the HDR 1000 mode, but I'm not totally sure. Haloing on a monitor seems like it would be more of an issue too, when I'm watching a movie from a distance I don't notice it as much.

Last edited:
Without 2 sets of different exposure, you cannot really tell how a single HDR monitor looks on SDR.

Below is the difference between G8 and C2 in most games/media. Like I said there are rare exceptions where for some reason the G8 looks mostly right like Doom Eternal. I have a suspicion that we didn't get the usual tech influencer review bonanza on this monitor because they were likely told to hold off for a fix.

G8 HDR:

20220708_123912.jpg

C2 HDR:

20220708_123840.jpg

Below is the difference between G8 and C2 in most games/media. Like I said there are rare exceptions where for some reason the G8 looks mostly right like Doom Eternal. I have a suspicion that we didn't get the usual tech influencer review bonanza on this monitor because they were likely told to hold off for a fix.

G8 HDR:

View attachment 490200

C2 HDR:

View attachment 490201
Meanwhile, while everyone is looking at the car trying to figure out what the difference is, I'm looking at the house in the background and wondering why the AC unit is floating over the roof.

While certain n00bs will cry otherwise till blue in the face, HDR is best achieved with per pixel lighting and that means OLEDs, nothing else can come close to that level of ideal lighting precision by definition.

While certain n00bs will cry otherwise till blue in the face, HDR is best achieved with per pixel lighting and that means OLEDs, nothing else can come close to that level of ideal lighting precision by definition.
I set that guy to ignore a long time ago. Sounds like he's still at it.

Don't listen to these OLED shills who don't even know monitors.
Again, without 2 sets of different exposure, you cannot tell how a single HDR monitor looks on SDR. You need at least put two monitors in the same photo with the same settings. C2 or AW3423DW are both dimmer compared to G8.

This is the appropriate settings for G8.
ForzaHorizon5_2022_07_08_18_31_50_193 copy.png

They don't even know how to use HDR properly.

kramnelis

Why does it have to be black & white, us vs them, wrong or right? If you want to show people you're right, just show the facts. Let people make up their own minds. No need to insult. In fact, insults are the worst way to get someone to respect your opinion (right or wrong).

Also, you should consider toning down the vitriol until you've been on the forum longer than a week and have some "street cred". You're like the new guy in a boxing ring talking trash and throwing punches, but no wins under your belt to prove yourself.

kramnelis

Why does it have to be black & white, us vs them, wrong or right? If you want to show people you're right, just show the facts. Let people make up their own minds. No need to insult. In fact, insults are the worst way to get someone to respect your opinion (right or wrong).

Also, you should consider toning down the vitriol until you've been on the forum longer than a week and have some "street cred". You're like the new guy in a boxing ring talking trash and throwing punches, but no wins under your belt to prove yourself.
I already told them the facts. G8 10% is above 2000nits. 50% is 600nits.
It's not a true HDR monitor. But It's already brighter than OLED like C2 or AW3423DW.
The problem is they use only HDR1000 footage to compare is very questionable.
They show a single HDR monitor on SDR pictures without locked exposure.
Then they use Forza Horizon that doesn't have the appropriate settings.
It is questionable, very questionable.

If you really want to trash a monitor, at least trash it with legit fasts by having survived attempts to poke holes in them.
Everybody knows Samsung HDR is not what it appears to be.
But this time saying OLED has better HDR than Samsung will be challenged.

OLED owns. But there's no 32" 4k 120+hz version that I know of :(, so the on sale Neo G7 seems like my best bet for now. Damn thing is taking forever to get here tho.

Individually lit pixels with infinite contrast vs huge dimming zones and moderate contrast. Done and done! So what was your old username?
This is laughable.
Without brightness, infinite contrast is unless.
In HDR content, a 2000nits peak monitor with 0.002nits black level has 1,000,000:1 contrast already. But a 800nits peak OLED with 0.002nits black level has only 40,000:1 contrast.
So tell me how OLED looks better. I have seen times and times again OLED only looks dim in comparison. Of course, 200nit peak and 0nits black level is infinite. Keep using 200nits monitor then.

OLED owns. But there's no 32" 4k 120+hz version that I know of :(, so the on sale Neo G7 seems like my best bet for now. Damn thing is taking forever to get here tho.
The bowtie curve on this counts it out for me. I'd love a flat 27-28" 4k 120hz+ oled. 32" is too low ppi for my desires, but I'd settle :D.

So I received delivery of my Odyssey Neo G8 from Amazon. I have it side by side with my AW3423DW. Yes there are definitely scanlines on my unit at 240hz, I noticed them on my blueish green wallpaper. I have the local dimming set to 'Low' because when it's set to 'High' or 'Auto' I can see a bit of noticeable blooming on bright objects against dark backgrounds. It definitely isn't OLED contrast but it's still very good to the point that I would consider it good even side by side with my OLED. The most annoying thing is the mouse being extremely dark when up against a dark background due to the dimming zones. HDR looks pretty bad as others are saying. The colors are more noticeably vibrant on the AW3423DW. I've noticed a bug with Auto Dimming turning off when exiting HDR games but it not actually displaying that in the menu. Power cycling the monitor makes Auto Dimming turn on again. I've noticed this bug twice in two days. IMO for $1,300 the Alienware is a better buy, the 108 PPI is pretty bad but you can use super sampling (Nvidia DSR for example) to get 2160p in games which makes it the ultimate monitor at that point for me.

Last edited:
Back from doing a fair amount of testing the 42" C2 against the Neo G7. I was pleasantly surprised at the stand packed in with the C2. The legs are designed in such a way that you can keep it really far back on your desk, which is important since this is such a large display.

I'm not here to bash one display or another, but the C2 is the clear winner in my book. The C2 is stunningly beautiful in both SDR and especially HDR content. In SDR content, the C2 comes out on top but by only a small margin. The colors on the Neo G7 (and Neo G8) are surprisingly rich and if you don't plan to use HDR you will probably be happy with it. Games with HDR are insane on the C2. The colors and depth that it brings out of games is really something to behold. I'm hoping Samsung can release a firmware that fixes the HDR because as of now it just doesn't add anything to the games I tested. Also, on my Neo G7 I noticed a fair amount of flickering that could only be fixed by enabling VRR control which caused stuttering issues. There is a possibility my panel was defective as well. I'm not getting any noticeable flicker on the C2. LG must have also improved on the image retention this generation as I've been browsing the web without auto-hiding the taskbar and so far not seeing any retention when doing gray to white uniformity checks afterward.

At this point I'll likely keep the C2 and send the Neo G7 back. However, if a 42" display is too big for your needs I think you'll be happy with the Neo G7/G8 assuming yours doesn't flicker and Samsung releases a firmware that improves the HDR experience. It has a lot of potential.

So I received delivery of my Odyssey Neo G8 from Amazon. I have it side by side with my AW3423DW. Yes there are definitely scanlines on my unit at 240hz, I noticed them on my blueish green wallpaper. I have the local dimming set to 'Low' because when it's set to 'High' or 'Auto' I can see a bit of noticeable blooming on bright objects against dark backgrounds. It definitely isn't OLED contrast but it's still very good to the point that I would consider it good even side by side with my OLED. The most annoying thing is the mouse being extremely dark when up against a dark background due to the dimming zones. HDR looks pretty bad as others are saying. The colors are more noticeably vibrant on the AW3423DW. I've noticed a bug with Auto Dimming turning off when exiting HDR games but it not actually displaying that in the menu. Power cycling the monitor makes Auto Dimming turn on again. I've noticed this bug twice in two days. IMO for $1,300 the Alienware is a better buy, the 108 PPI is pretty bad but you can use super sampling (Nvidia DSR for example) to get 2160p in games which makes it the ultimate monitor at that point for me.
That's strange because "low" is more aggressive than Auto. Auto is almost like no local dimming except when very little is on screen. I had the AW and my real issue with it was desktop use where it looked terrible not just because of PPI but the resolution itself. It would be awesome in a 38" size because 27" vertical equivalent as it is just feels claustrophobic and lacking immersion coming from a 32 or worse yet the 42.

Back from doing a fair amount of testing the 42" C2 against the Neo G7. I was pleasantly surprised at the stand packed in with the C2. The legs are designed in such a way that you can keep it really far back on your desk, which is important since this is such a large display.

I'm not here to bash one display or another, but the C2 is the clear winner in my book. The C2 is stunningly beautiful in both SDR and especially HDR content. In SDR content, the C2 comes out on top but by only a small margin. The colors on the Neo G7 (and Neo G8) are surprisingly rich and if you don't plan to use HDR you will probably be happy with it. Games with HDR are insane on the C2. The colors and depth that it brings out of games is really something to behold. I'm hoping Samsung can release a firmware that fixes the HDR because as of now it just doesn't add anything to the games I tested. Also, on my Neo G7 I noticed a fair amount of flickering that could only be fixed by enabling VRR control which caused stuttering issues. There is a possibility my panel was defective as well. I'm not getting any noticeable flicker on the C2. LG must have also improved on the image retention this generation as I've been browsing the web without auto-hiding the taskbar and so far not seeing any retention when doing gray to white uniformity checks afterward.

At this point I'll likely keep the C2 and send the Neo G7 back. However, if a 42" display is too big for your needs I think you'll be happy with the Neo G7/G8 assuming yours doesn't flicker and Samsung releases a firmware that improves the HDR experience. It has a lot of potential.
Yeah I was conflicted mainly because the jump from 120hz to 240hz is extremely noticeable to me in terms of smoothness and motion clarity. What wasn't as significant to me was the jump in PPI between the 42 and 32. Its there fore sure but not as significant to the eye. TBH the biggest thing I'll miss is the 240hz smoothness.

Not gonna lie the scanlines are not a big deal to me. Saw them pop up in games like 10% of the time and here and there on the desktop and in either scenario I'd have to be pretty close for it to be intrusive. The Neo G9's scanlines on the other hand were terrible probably because of the lower resolution.

I swung by my bros place to check his G8 out and confirm the HDR issue and same thing with his setup. Whats appalling is the QC of these monitors. Mine has pretty moderate DSE with a prominent vertical band near the center while his is super clean but has a few dust/debris spots. Neither have dead/stuck pixels so there's that.

I swung by my bros place to check his G8 out and confirm the HDR issue and same thing with his setup. Whats appalling is the QC of these monitors. Mine has pretty moderate DSE with a prominent vertical band near the center while his is super clean but has a few dust/debris spots. Neither have dead/stuck pixels so there's that.
My G70A develops a red line if I press on the middle bezel and given the 'stellar' rep of their NJ service center, I'm just going to see iff it becomes a permanent problem before risking a 'repair'.

That's strange because "low" is more aggressive than Auto. Auto is almost like no local dimming except when very little is on screen. I had the AW and my real issue with it was desktop use where it looked terrible not just because of PPI but the resolution itself. It would be awesome in a 38" size because 27" vertical equivalent as it is just feels claustrophobic and lacking immersion coming from a 32 or worse yet the 42.

Yeah I was conflicted mainly because the jump from 120hz to 240hz is extremely noticeable to me in terms of smoothness and motion clarity. What wasn't as significant to me was the jump in PPI between the 42 and 32. Its there fore sure but not as significant to the eye. TBH the biggest thing I'll miss is the 240hz smoothness.

Not gonna lie the scanlines are not a big deal to me. Saw them pop up in games like 10% of the time and here and there on the desktop and in either scenario I'd have to be pretty close for it to be intrusive. The Neo G9's scanlines on the other hand were terrible probably because of the lower resolution.

Yeah, I was testing the local dimming with very little on the screen and with things displayed mostly against completely black backgrounds, and in those cases I felt it Auto was more aggressive.

Also, here is a picture comparison in RE2 in a dark scene between the Neo G8 and AW3423DW. My biggest compaint with the Odyssey is that with the local dimming certain scenes are just too dim especially when compared with the QD-OLED.

The caution signs on the canister-like objects just get lost in darkness on the Odyssey and I haven't been able to rectify that with local dimming on.

Side question, is anyone else having an issue with this monitor where you can't turn on DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution) in NVIDIA Control Panel? I don't see the option at all.

Odyssey Neo G8
_DSC0680.JPG

AW3423DW
_DSC0681.JPG

Yeah, I was testing the local dimming with very little on the screen and with things displayed mostly against completely black backgrounds, and in those cases I felt it Auto was more aggressive.

Also, here is a picture comparison in RE2 in a dark scene between the Neo G8 and AW3423DW. My biggest compaint with the Odyssey is that with the local dimming certain scenes are just too dim especially when compared with the QD-OLED.

The caution signs on the canister-like objects just get lost in darkness on the Odyssey and I haven't been able to rectify that with local dimming on.

Side question, is anyone else having an issue with this monitor where you can't turn on DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution) in NVIDIA Control Panel? I don't see the option at all.

Odyssey Neo G8
View attachment 490540

AW3423DW
View attachment 490541
Do you think it's a firmware thing that could be resolved, kind of seems like it is.

Do you think it's a firmware thing that could be resolved, kind of seems like it is.

Definitely should be fixable with a firmware update. Samsung has botched FALD behavior before with firmware, even their QN90B FALD TV suffered from broken FALD behavior after a firmware update which had to be fixed with another one.

Back