Odyssey Neo G8 - 4K 240 Hz 32" Quantum Mini LED

Seems like neo g8 certainly has scanlines. But for whatever reason some people have very little and others have more, so either it's variance among units or just people's different vision.

I haven't seen anyone with neo g7 say they saw this, maybe it is immune. Or just not enough people with it yet.
There is no variance. What you're reading is the difference between those with eye balls and the blind.

There is no variance. What you're reading is the difference between those with eye balls and the blind.

Yeah it's hard to trust people. I'm currently talking to someone with a Neo G7, he swears it has no scan lines. I showed him all the test pages and other stuff to try, still says nothing. If he's right the 165hz Neo G7 seems like the better buy. But like you said a lot of these people are blind and/or on copium.

Guess we'll find out the actual truth soon enough as more people get these.

Yeah it's hard to trust people. I'm currently talking to someone with a Neo G7, he swears it has no scan lines. I showed him all the test pages and other stuff to try, still says nothing. If he's right the 165hz Neo G7 seems like the better buy. But like you said a lot of these people are blind and/or on copium.

Guess we'll find out the actual truth soon enough as more people get these.
There is a possibility that 165hz is below the threshold that the panel exhibits scanlines and may have been a deliberate choice on Samsung's part. Like the Neo G8, the Neo G9 is stuck with either 120hz or 240hz refresh rate but will accept 167hz with a custom res where like 120hz, scanlines aren't present.

My last resort if the scanlines bothered me at 240hz was find the G8's highest scanline free refresh rate which I hope is closer to 200hz. Realistically it's probably also 165ish hz.

Main reason I didn't want anything to do with the Neo G7 is I found the product segmentation super bizarre. $200 difference for strictly refresh rate? How does that make sense for them to even bother creating a separate product line.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/vk43vj/i_had_the_g7_neo_g8_came_in_today_i_can_sum_it_up/

Guy above says the panels and FALD behavior are completely different between Neo G7 and G8.

Reactions: Zahua
like this
There is a possibility that 165hz is below the threshold that the panel exhibits scanlines and may have been a deliberate choice on Samsung's part. Like the Neo G8, the Neo G9 is stuck with either 120hz or 240hz refresh rate but will accept 167hz with a custom res where like 120hz, scanlines aren't present.

My last resort if the scanlines bothered me at 240hz was find the G8's highest scanline free refresh rate which I hope is closer to 200hz. Realistically it's probably also 165ish hz.

Main reason I didn't want anything to do with the Neo G7 is I found the product segmentation super bizarre. $200 difference for strictly refresh rate? How does that make sense for them to even bother creating a separate product line.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/vk43vj/i_had_the_g7_neo_g8_came_in_today_i_can_sum_it_up/

Guy above says the panels and FALD behavior are completely different between Neo G7 and G8.
My understanding is main difference is refresh rate, the G7 is black vs white on G8 , G7 is glossy screen vs G8 matte. I’m gonna cancel my G8 and try the G7. Will report back.

My understanding is main difference is refresh rate, the G7 is black vs white on G8 , G7 is glossy screen vs G8 matte. I’m gonna cancel my G8 and try the G7. Will report back.
According to this infographic yes the only real difference is refresh rate but it also shows G8 is HDMI 2.1 equipped while G7 is not. This contradicts Samsungs own spec page showing the Neo G7 has HDMI 2.1. This is probably because HDMI 2.1 is ambiguous now days so the G8 has higher bandwidth HDMI 2.1 ports while the G7 may have the bare minimum for HDMI 2.1 branding (24Gbps) like the Neo G9.

https://news.samsung.com/global/inf...find-the-right-odyssey-gaming-monitor-for-you

The AR coating on both look the same. As you can see from the above guys G7 photo its a thick anti glare as usual. Might be the G8 is using a fancier matte anti glare with even more anti reflective qualities worth marketing and therefore it gets a advertising spot. G7 is definitely not glossy. Samsung knows better than to do that on a 1000R monitor because it would be unusable with any form of light warping off the entire panel.

Just a quick summary of pro's and con's for the monitor in my testing:

Pro's:
32" 4K is a nice sweet spot size
240 Hz at 4K is incredible. Motion clarity in my testing around 4ms MPRT. Among the fastest I've seen. 240 Hz motion clarity a tad better than the AW34 OLED at 175 Hz.
Nice/futuristic looking monitor case
Color volume is pretty good
Native VA contrast ratio works fairly well even with the FALD turned off
Whites are really white (better than my OLEDs)
My unit is pixel perfect
No fan/noise

Wash:
Soft membrane type small button OSD controls under center of monitor not the easiest to use for people with large hands
HMDI ports only work at 4K/120 Hz. Read mentions of updating firmware to get them to work at 4K/240 Hz. I put this as a wash as it doesn't matter to me/I don't use consoles.

Con's:
Scan lines on certain colors are quite obvious. Once you see them, your brain is always looking for them.
Sparkle in AR film
Front of monitor bezel/case is kind of chunky/cheapish feeling/looking
FALD algorithm to hide blooming is pretty aggressive at diming not only small highlights, but the overall image. Blooming is not as bad as something like the PG32UQX, but it's still noticeable in a lot of scenes.
HDR highlights can get up to ~1,000 nits, but works much better on larger HDR bright light sources as small ones like stars and fireworks are dimmed way down by the algorithm to reduce blooming. Small/bright HDR highlights WAY better on an OLED. HDR images on the G8 are pretty good for bright HDR scenes but fall quite behind OLED for more of the more difficult/dark stuff.
Really wonky curve that accomplishes the entire monitor curve in the middle 50% of the panel and then the 25% on either end are flat. Messes with your brain. When comparing directly next to the AW34 OLED that has a constant curve (and not as small of a curve radius), the curved OLED looks way more natural and appealing.
Panel uniformity
LCD panel radiates a noticeable amount of heat out the front and my sample unit has a potent "electronics smell".

Still testing between the G8/AW34 OLED/42C2 OLED. But I think the 42C2 leading the pack at the moment.

Pro's:
240 Hz at 4K is incredible. Motion clarity in my testing around 4ms MPRT. Among the fastest I've seen. 240 Hz motion clarity a tad better than the AW34 OLED at 175 Hz.
My unit is pixel perfect
No fan/noise

Wash:
Soft membrane type small button OSD controls under center of monitor not the easiest to use for people with large hands
HMDI ports only work at 4K/120 Hz. Read mentions of updating firmware to get them to work at 4K/240 Hz. I put this as a wash as it doesn't matter to me/I don't use consoles.

Con's:
Scan lines on certain colors are quite obvious. Once you see them, your brain is always looking for them.
Sparkle in AR film
FALD algorithm to hide blooming is pretty aggressive at diming not only small highlights, but the overall image. Blooming is not as bad as something like the PG32UQX, but it's still noticeable in a lot of scenes.
HDR highlights can get up to ~1,000 nits, but works much better on larger HDR bright light sources as small ones like stars and fireworks are dimmed way down by the algorithm to reduce blooming. Small/bright HDR highlights WAY better on an OLED. HDR images on the G8 are pretty good for bright HDR scenes but fall quite behind OLED for more of the more difficult/dark stuff.
Really wonky curve that accomplishes the entire monitor curve in the middle 50% of the panel and then the 25% on either end are flat. Messes with your brain. When comparing directly next to the AW34 OLED that has a constant curve (and not as small of a curve radius), the curved OLED looks way more natural and appealing.
Panel uniformity
LCD panel radiates a noticeable amount of heat out the front and my sample unit has a potent "electronics smell".

Still testing between the G8/AW34 OLED/42C2 OLED. But I think the 42C2 leading the pack at the moment.

Does your 42C2 have the blue tint / white uniformity issue noted on tftcentral and other places? I cannot stand non uniform whites.

Does your 42C2 have the blue tint / white uniformity issue noted on tftcentral and other places? I cannot stand non uniform whites.
I do not have a 3" stripe like TFTC mentioned. The screen on mine is pretty uniform on full white/light grey.

My Amazon order went from delayed in transit to damaged in transit and is now on route back to Amazon. Samsung order still hasn't shipped for some strange reason and I can still cancel.

I have the patience of a toddler so gonna give it another day.

My Amazon order went from delayed in transit to damaged in transit and is now on route back to Amazon. Samsung order still hasn't shipped for some strange reason and I can still cancel.

I have the patience of a toddler so gonna give it another day.
Originally my order ETA was Thursday, then when it did not come it updated to Saturday. On Friday, I called UPS to find out what was going on and they told me this:

There is a weight adjustment on your shipment. It was weighed during a routine audit, and the results indicate that the actual weight of the package differs from the weight provided to us at the time of shipment. Please get in touch to your sender for further arrangement

I pressed the issue with Samsung supervisors and they were insistant that UPS was glitched and that I would be receiving my order on Saturday. When my order did not arrive on Saturday UPS status changed to Standby for new ETA and Samsung refused to process a refund on Monday.

I had to go in my UPS.com account and file a claim to manually force status to update to lost package / investigation. Then when I pressed Samsung for my refund they told me 24-28 hours to process and maybe 7 business days for refund. Then they linked me a product link to order again at full price ROFL. No thanks, I'm done. I'm gonna stick with my Alienware 34 oled for gaming and switch out my PG32 for an LG42C2.

Its hilarious, Vega received, tested and returned his G8 and will get his refund before I do!
Vegas review was great though....good therapy....helped me not give a shit about this display as I hate aggressive AG, fucked up curve, scan lines and shitty fald. Samsung would have to release a solid gold 4k240 hz oled with 1600 nits for me to give a fuck about another display from them.

PS: The alienware 34 has been amazing and that is sayin MUCH because I loath 1440pee and am not a UW fan. Dell/Alienware did a fantastic job with it. If they make a 4k240hz version that will be my goldilocks zone and ill be done buying monitors for a long while.

Last edited:
Well I had both the AW and now main the 42" C2 and think the C2 is a better monitor than the AW. Lets see if you agree when you get yours.

I have pretty low expectations for this G8 especially given I paid $800 + tax for it. Seems like reports online indicate the Neo G7 is a better buy.

So what's the difference between G8 and Neo G7? 240 vs 165 Hz and G7 has lower peak brightness?

The confirmed differences are 240hz vs 165hz along with the AR coating with the G8 having a far more aggressive matte.

The controversial difference is HDMI 2.1 support because Samsung lists the G7 as having it in one place and says otherwise else where.

Peak brightness is the same between both.

The confirmed differences are 240hz vs 165hz along with the AR coating with the G8 having a far more aggressive matte.

The controversial difference is HDMI 2.1 support because Samsung lists the G7 as having it in one place and says otherwise else where.

Peak brightness is the same between both.
Yeah looking at the specs on Samsung's website they seem largely the same including HDMI 2.1. With only a $200 price difference maybe this is just a way for them to use panels or controllers that could not handle 240 Hz? If the G7 is basically the same thing but without the scanline issues then that sounds like a win.

Well I had both the AW and now main the 42" C2 and think the C2 is a better monitor than the AW. Lets see if you agree when you get yours.

I have pretty low expectations for this G8 especially given I paid $800 + tax for it. Seems like reports online indicate the Neo G7 is a better buy.
Samsung is doing everything in their power NOT to give me my money back in a timely manner. WTF. UPS has told me that package is GONE every time I talk to them and at this point I dont want it anymore anyway. My God.

1656414777504.png

And that is after I had received this email from them yesterday.
1656415886178.png

Last edited:
Wow, yeah now I'd be ticked off.

You know last month I did the upgrade swap of my S21 Ultra phone for the S22 Ultra and it was an amazing seamless transaction. Its just one of those modern day things when everything goes right its a smooth process, but if anything along the way breaks the whole system collapses.

Today when I contacted Samsung support they denied that supervisor Yardol ever promised 24 hour refund and said they could not find records of that anywhere. I had to screen shot the above email and paste it in our conversation for them to then begin to backtrack. I know times are tough and the world is a mess and these are first world problems, but damn this situation is so cut and dry. Its really, really bad when I have to tell a company in a crude manner, "GIVE ME MY FUCKING MONEY BACK."

Yeah, I think I'm just gonna refuse delivery when it arrives later today. This thing's too wonky to take seriously. Better luck next CES, I guess.

I want to order the Neo G7 to compare the two, and return whichever one I find worse. But the Samsung site has been out of stock for that, wanted those sweet deals.

Yeah, I think I'm just gonna refuse delivery when it arrives later today. This thing's too wonky to take seriously. Better luck next CES, I guess.
If your gonna receive it you may as well test it. Probably better to do that and get proper return label. You don't want the frustration of falling into the Samsung / ups package lost dick dance carousel

like this
I ordered from Amazon. It'll be fine. Not worth my time, honestly.

Good point. I would try a Neo G7 from Amazon since they seem to have a good stock and it comes in 2 days, but I already have too many returns from them don't wanna' risk it.

I'll just mention it again. Has anyone actually tried CRU to get a custom refresh rate of 200Hz on the Neo G8 and see if it mitigates the scanlines since using NVCP doesn't allow 200Hz?

Pro's:
My unit is pixel perfect
No fan/noise

Wash:

Con's:
Sparkle in AR film
Panel uniformity

do you have a camera to show the scan lines? I thought HDMI 2.1 can take 240hz 4k.
this is a bit disappointing since there's nothing from AU until end of next year. Asus Acer, MSI, Gigabyte won't have anything until then

do you have a camera to show the scan lines? I thought HDMI 2.1 can take 240hz 4k.
this is a bit disappointing since there's nothing from AU until end of next year. Asus Acer, MSI, Gigabyte won't have anything until then
a bit disappointing is this hobbies maiden name

like this
I'll just mention it again. Has anyone actually tried CRU to get a custom refresh rate of 200Hz on the Neo G8 and see if it mitigates the scanlines since using NVCP doesn't allow 200Hz?
Yes people on the monitor discord have done it and scanlines are still present. Seems like 167ish Hz is the ceiling for a scan line free experience like the Neo G9.

I just setup my G8 and so far I'm impressed by what I'm seeing. The desktop colors seem muted a bit but HDR Youtube videos look stunning and the blooming is almost completely gone vs something like the PG32UQX. It's close to OLED black levels on the linked video. The one thing I can say about this monitor with the limited amount of time I've had is that this thing is NOT producing 2000 nits of brightness. Far from it. The PG32UQX blows this away in HDR bright highlights. I'll update this thread once I use it for my work and play some games.

Last edited:
Got the Neo G7 in from newegg today. Did a fair amount of testing tonight. Keep in mind my prior panel was the big boy FV43U. I've kept local dimming set to auto which works ok.

Good:
No scanlines
165 Hz is nice and smooth
Blooming is minimal compared to PG32UQX
32" is a lot more tolerable than my FV43U
No odd smells with my unit
Text looks quite nice
I didn't like the G8's white back panel. This is all black and imo looks better.
Thinner AR coating than the G8.

Bad:
Pretty lousy uniformity. On a 100% white screen it's slightly darker right in the middle where the screen bends. Any normal person wouldn't notice, but I'm not normal so there's that.
Curve is ridiculous and unnecessary. It curves so much the panel feels smaller than 32" which some might like.
As Vega mentioned, out of the box colors look quite muted. Looks better on "RPG" picture mode but still not as punchy as I was used to on the FV43U.
Limited HDR testing (games only to this point) so far, but what I've seen I'm not overly impressed. Highlights are not as bright or impactful as the FV43U. If I were to estimate just off an eye test, it feels somewhere between VESA DisplayHDR 600 and 1000.

For $1299, I'm not sure. I'm disappointed with the uniformity, that curve, and the HDR is a bit underwhelming.

Even with its limited brightness the Neo G7 should destroy the FV43U in HDR. That things an 8 zone edge lit monitor that isn't even capable of "highlights" since it just behaves like a globally lit monitor and blasts the entire panel which can be mistaken for looking brighter but in reality its just killing contrast. Rtings show its real scene brightness which is indicative of roughly a 10-15% highlight to be 650nits. I think you need to spend some more time with it.

FV43U:

FV43U.png

Samsung keeps telling me the monitor is backordered yet my friend who ordered after me got shipping notification yesterday. I'm about to call it quits. Kind of want to get another PG32UQX or XG321UG to goof around with.

Got the Neo G7 in from newegg today. Did a fair amount of testing tonight. Keep in mind my prior panel was the big boy FV43U. I've kept local dimming set to auto which works ok.

Good:
No scanlines
165 Hz is nice and smooth
Blooming is minimal compared to PG32UQX
32" is a lot more tolerable than my FV43U
No odd smells with my unit
Text looks quite nice
I didn't like the G8's white back panel. This is all black and imo looks better.
Thinner AR coating than the G8.

Bad:
Pretty lousy uniformity. On a 100% white screen it's slightly darker right in the middle where the screen bends. Any normal person wouldn't notice, but I'm not normal so there's that.
Curve is ridiculous and unnecessary. It curves so much the panel feels smaller than 32" which some might like.
As Vega mentioned, out of the box colors look quite muted. Looks better on "RPG" picture mode but still not as punchy as I was used to on the FV43U.
Limited HDR testing (games only to this point) so far, but what I've seen I'm not overly impressed. Highlights are not as bright or impactful as the FV43U. If I were to estimate just off an eye test, it feels somewhere between VESA DisplayHDR 600 and 1000.

For $1299, I'm not sure. I'm disappointed with the uniformity, that curve, and the HDR is a bit underwhelming.
Not sure about the G7 but on the G8 there's a setting in the "Picture" menu called "Contrast Enhancer". Setting this to "On" will improve the desktop image once you enable HDR in Windows 10/11.

Not sure about the G7 but on the G8 there's a setting in the "Picture" menu called "Contrast Enhancer". Setting this to "On" will improve the desktop image once you enable HDR in Windows 10/11.
Thanks, I did try that setting with HDR off and it looked oversaturated. I’ll try it with HDR on and see how it looks. Are you leaving HDR on at all times?

Samsung keeps telling me the monitor is backordered yet my friend who ordered after me got shipping notification yesterday. I'm about to call it quits. Kind of want to get another PG32UQX or XG321UG to goof around with.

Where does your friend live? Maybe it depends on Country. I'm in USA, mine also are not shipping (I ordered both Neo G7 and Neo G8 to compare) while people who are putting in orders after me on their site are getting theirs. Sad times.

Where does your friend live? Maybe it depends on Country. I'm in USA, mine also are not shipping (I ordered both Neo G7 and Neo G8 to compare) while people who are putting in orders after me on their site are getting theirs. Sad times.
Yeah their order processing makes no sense. Friend lives in Texas. Amazon and Bestbuy are basically shipping on demand right now while Samsung is backed up because of their recent quarterly sales event and I think way more purchased these monitors directly from them for all the discounts.

Whats funny is they offered to provide me "expedited shipping" by cancelling my order and reordering through a link provided cart. When I asked why coudn't I pay or add expedite shipping when I originally placed the order I got crickets.

Tested the G8 vs the 42C2 and there is no comparison across the board. G8 returning to Samsung.

Attachments

• 20220630_205238.jpg
    20220630_205238.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 1
Best Buy doesn’t even have the Neo G7 listed yet and they’re still showing the G8 as pre-order.
Bestbuy started shipping G8's last week with plenty receiving theirs. They are constrained to maintaining the listing based on Samsungs July 8th release date.

Back