Odyssey Neo G8 - 4K 240 Hz 32" Quantum Mini LED

Yeah it looks like the monitors are just waiting in Amazon Warehouses ready to go. We should be getting real reviews really soon.

View attachment 485102
Weird. Earlier today it was June 24, and even now it's June 28. But my order from like a week and a half ago still estimates June 30. Did I accidentally pick slow/delayed shipping when I ordered or something?

Weird. Earlier today it was June 24, and even now it's June 28. But my order from like a week and a half ago still estimates June 30. Did I accidentally pick slow/delayed shipping when I ordered or something?
Once it's preparing for shipment your ETA will update. Amazon doesn't update ETA's until right before even when the live product page shows a earlier delivery than your order.

I expect early orders on Amazon to ship by tomorrow.

Once it's preparing for shipment your ETA will update. Amazon doesn't update ETA's until right before even when the live product page shows a earlier delivery than your order.

I expect early orders on Amazon to ship by tomorrow.
Thanks for letting me know; I was about to cancel my order and re-order for an earlier date. Bullet dodged.

Strongly considering this panel as a replacement for my FV43U which I like but it’s too damn big for most tasks other than gaming. Also the text is blindingly ugly.

Anyone else order from Best Buy just for an easy return if you have issues? I could save almost $400 buying from Samsung but hate packing and shipping returns.

Also.. I’ve read some reviews stating the G8 has good color but I wonder why Samsung settled at a 95% P3 gamut? Pg32 is 98% IIRC..

Strongly considering this panel as a replacement for my FV43U which I like but it’s too damn big for most tasks other than gaming. Also the text is blindingly ugly.

Anyone else order from Best Buy just for an easy return if you have issues? I could save almost $400 buying from Samsung but hate packing and shipping returns.

Also.. I’ve read some reviews stating the G8 has good color but I wonder why Samsung settled at a 95% P3 gamut? Pg32 is 98% IIRC..

I don't know how the text quality compares to the FV43U, but the G9 isn't known for good text quality, and the G8 is likely similar to that.

G9 text looks no different to me than any other RGB LCD. G8 is also RGB unlike the BGR Gigabyte while also being much higher PPI so text will look nice.

Only reason to buy from Bestbuy is for a 3 year geek squad warranty or if you have tons of gift cards. I could not stomach paying $1499 for this knowing I could get it for under $900 this past week from Samsung.

What a joke. My backup Amazon order shipped out of no where while my Samsung order is still cancellable.

Damn this monitor is sweet. BTW there are scan-lines at 240 Hz.

10-bit color works at 240 Hz.

None of my DP cables would work, I had to use the short thick DP cable included. Going to have to buy a fiber optic DP cable looks like.

The testing continues!

20220623_112105.jpg

None of my DP cables would work, I had to use the short thick DP cable included. Going to have to buy a fiber optic DP cable looks like.

The testing continues!

View attachment 485707
Woah 😲 the first review unit lol, is there any blooming? For a quick test, maybe put a '10 hour black screen' YouTube video up and move the mouse around to see if you can really notice the MiniLED zones?

Are there scanlines when using HDMI?

User already have it but there is still not one real review out there? Strange

What a joke. My backup Amazon order shipped out of no where while my Samsung order is still cancellable.
Yea my samsung order eta got pushed from today to saturday....but looks more like ups issue.

Also, Scan lines are not sexy like panty lines.

IMO probably best to use HDMI with this thing. You can do 12bit 240hz unlike DP since it has 40Gbps HDMI 2.1 ports.

Long gone. Was live for like 3-4 hours. My friend got his for like $650 after tax.
You should have posted in Hot Deals section...anyhow grats to all that got in. I got my AW3423 for like 900 all in so can't complain too much I guess.

So this thing has MBR (strobing) at both refresh rates (120/240). Not very good though, I just stick to VRR.

Also, this is the first curved monitor I've had that has "wings". I mean, the center is curved but then the ends/sides straighten out flat as a pancake for about 4-5 inches. Pretty distracting. Screws with your brain not seeing a constant curve. Looks like like a butterfly affect.

Looks like scan-lines present in all resolutions, color formats, color bit-depths and both DP and HDMI. HDMI interestingly is limited to 120 Hz 4K. I've tried three HDMI cables, so these likely aren't full bandwidth ports. Anyone find if they advertised 240 Hz on HDMI on this thing?

Looks like scan-lines present in all resolutions, color formats, color bit-depths and both DP and HDMI. HDMI interestingly is limited to 120 Hz 4K. I've tried three HDMI cables, so these likely aren't full bandwidth ports. Anyone find if they advertised 240 Hz on HDMI on this thing?
HDMI tops out at 120HZ on the G8 as per this review:

https://hometheaterreview.com/samsung-odyssey-neo-g8-32-240-hz-4k-gaming-monitor-power-beauty/

I started with DisplayPort, and I have zero issues from the get-go my PC recognized 240 Hz as the native refresh rate for UHD resolution (3840 x 2160). With HDMI I topped out at 120 Hz, so I stuck with the DisplayPort connection (Samsung includes a cable).

Chinese review confirmed 40Gbps through their EDID hardware tool and demo'd 240hz 12bit over HDMI.

EDIT: Maybe a ninja spec change? This is the first review on Amazon for the Neo G7.

Screenshot 2022-06-23 155849.png

Last edited:
Don't worry everybody Samsung will fix all the issues with firmware updates just like the G9!!!!

Hmm there's a few people on reddit with Neo G8 who say they see no scan lines, even with the special test pages that always show them on the Neo G9. Maybe a random QC issue?

Hmm there's a few people on reddit with Neo G8 who say they see no scan lines, even with the special test pages that always show them on the Neo G9. Maybe a random QC issue?
People on reddit don't have working eyes. Wouldn't trust anything they say.

Reactions: Zahua
like this
Ya definitely not 2000 nit on anything real content. Looks more like 1000 nit HDR monitor.

1656030987439.png

Funny, even the EDID information says max brightness is 1K nits.

Didn't need the EDID to figure that out. Samsung themselves gave you that information like 2 months ago:

Screenshot 2022-06-23 175138.png

No offense but are you new to Samsung? This thing has no Vesa DisplayHDR certification because it would only manage DisplayHDR600. Samsung can market it as Quantum bullcrap HDR5000 if they want. It's completely meaningless. We knew a month ago that its real HDR brightness is 800ish nits.

Nobody should be purchasing this based on Samsungs bogus HDR marketing claims.

HDMI 2.1 can be anywhere from 24Gbps to 48Gbps. Blame the HDMI forum for the ambiguity just like USB but this monitor has 40Gbps ports and supports DSC:

Screenshot 2022-06-23 182416.png

Whether Samsung ninja'd the hardware for actual launch units or this is yet another firmware hiccup is yet to be seen.

Last edited:
No offense but are you new to Samsung?

Uhh, I know the Samsung marketing is BS, that's why I posted what the EDID says. I never said I was expecting 2,000 nits, stop assuming things.

Vega hows the halo effect on the desktop? Is it better than the PG32UQX?

Oh ya the blooming on this is MILES better than the PG32. I can actually use FALD on the desktop and watch stars and firework HDR videos without cringing.

The motion clarity is crazy good. I can read smooth scrolling text clearer than the AW34 OLED. Of course the G8 is running 65 higher Hz.

Back