Odin's Sphere Impressions anyone?

JoRos

Limp Gawd
Did anyone pick up Odin's Sphere? It looks good, but the reviews have been kind of average, I'm thinking about renting it. has anyone played it yet and if so, what do you think?

rpgamer.com gave it a 4.5/5.

I want to buy it so bad it's killing me but I'm going from one job to another and money is the tight so I have to wait like 4 weeks for a few pay checks to come in. I think I might download it and keep the one I buy unopened because I have a feeling this might become a hard title to find in about 5 years and be worth a bunch of money for a unopened copy like FF7 and Valkrie profile are.

i got to play the first couple chapters on my friends PS2

first off, the game is gorgeous. the 2D sprites are massive and highly detailed. once you see the game in action you notice all the small details. anywho, the battle system is basicly action oriented with RPG elements. i found myself messing with the alchemy part of the game alot. the dialogue is well written (was using the japanese audio ;)) but the story is your typical RPG story.

my one real complaint would be the frame rate gets janky. you would think a 2D game would be smooth as silk but during the boss battles (the bosses are MASSIVE) the PS2 starts to choke.

I hope Atlas gets money to make a game on a next gen console. a game of this caliber deserves better.

4.5/5

the game is pretty good so far, i have the Japaneses audio on (one of the selling points for me). the sprites are beautiful. my gripe is that when i try to hit triangle or circle, you basically have to be not moving at all in order for the little menus to come up, but other than that the game is great.

i had it reserved and picked it up when it hit, this game is beautiful, it was almost exactly what i was looking for.

its a 2d anime style game, the graphics are superb, though yeah it does get a tad laggy when something big hits.

what was said above is true, i would adore seeing atlus move to the wii. i know its not way more powered, but it has the largest installed userbase and i think this kind of game would be appreciated there the most, though i would prefer using the gc controller like i do for metal slug.

as for the reviews, this is not a mainstream title, people that want flashy 3d graphics and such (aka the bad sony mainstream gamer) are not going to care about this game and it will be lost to the niche classics, of course the people who give it average reviews are the people that cream themselves over games like "insert sequel here 39"

Beautiful game, I just ordered it. I played it at a friends house and we played it for hours. Somethign I haven't truly done since Valkyrie Profile 2, and that i put down and pick up alot because of just not feeling the mood to play recently.

Good music, graphics, gameplay. Only 2 things bug me right now. Lag or slowdowns... whatever you wanna call it. Its not horrid cept for certain bosses but at those bosses it can cause you to die. The other is that 2 out of 3 stories so far, I'm sort of disappointed in. Gwendolyn's story is so muc better than the 2n'd and 3rd stories. I hope the 4th and 5th is better.

I honestly couldn't stand it. The art was great, but not particularly well designed. Nothing about the backgrounds seemed especially or unique.

More importantly, the controls where horrible. I don't know if I was right to assume something similar to Symphony of the Night, but the game felt very unresponsive.

Admittedly, I didn't give it much of a chance, but I think it means something significant if I didn't want to continue playing it any longer than five minutes.

I've given it about two hours so far and each time I'm forcing myself to continue.

The level design is repetitive and boring along with the enemies. I can't understand what made them decide to go with this spherical level design. It takes all of 10 - 20 seconds to run through a level.

Inventory management is nothing but a pain in my ass. They have this in depth system that requires you to collect tons of items and then they hardly give you room to carry them. I constantly find myself using or dropping items just to clear up room.

Combat is your standard affair so I can't really complain about it. I highly dislike the unresponsiveness while trying to access your spell list or inventory though.

I'll tell you when it gets released over here (NZ)

By then you'll probably have brought it and finished it though. :(

you can buy more bags as you progress, and i'll agree it does blow in the beginning having to pick in choose what to keep and what to toss.

How often does the slowdown occur? I was watching a gameplay video on IGN and it seems like it is pretty often.

Back