Odd router behavior

NeghVar

2[H]4U
Network problem.

Last week my internet performance fell to as low as 0.3 Mbps. My ISP is Spectrum and we have 300/20. Download speed tests in the past have ranged from 250Mbps – 275Mbps. Now they spike at the beginning up to about 75Mbps and then quickly fall and hover between 0.5Mbps – 1Mbps. Did a variety of troubleshooting. Removed my DD-WRT router from between my LAN and the gateway. Connected directly to the gateway, ran a speed test and it hovered between 300Mbps and 320Mbps. Reinserted the DD-WRT router, 0.5Mbps – 1Mbps. Changed the WAN port on my router to LAN, 300Mbps and 320Mbps. Any guess what could be causing this?

Physical interface problems on your DD-WRT? What box are you using to run DD-WRT?

Netgear WNDR3700 V4
To clear up any possible confusion, the WAN to LAN switch was logical. Within DD-WRT, i changed the WAN port to act as a LAN port. Not a physical swap of the cable to a physical LAN port.

Strange - so definitely something software related. Do you have another router that isn't DD-WRT available? I wonder if the ISP router does some funky stuff with double NAT?

I have an old Linksys, I believe the WAN port is only 10Mbps though.
Before this began, the ISP gateway operated in bridge mode. I switched it to bridge mode about two years ago when I could not get port forwarding for a game server to work with double NAT.

I also changed the ISP gateway back to router mode from bridge mode

Last edited:
I would definitely keep it in bridge mode if you can. ISP gateways are generally pretty crappy. Any chance you could switch this back and have your DD-WRT serve as your only gateway?

As would I, but with the ISP gateway in bridge mode and the WAN port acting as a LAN port, that would expose my whole network. I have a D-Link router. It too has DD-WRT, but the WAN port is 10/100. I'll test that when I get home. Could this possibly be directly caused by the ISP? I mean if they detect another internal router, could they be throttling down the connection to force me to use their gateway as the router?

As would I, but with the ISP gateway in bridge mode and the WAN port acting as a LAN port, that would expose my whole network. I have a D-Link router. It too has DD-WRT, but the WAN port is 10/100. I'll test that when I get home. Could this possibly be directly caused by the ISP? I mean if they detect another internal router, could they be throttling down the connection to force me to use their gateway as the router?

You would have a WAN interface for Internet and a LAN interface that would connect to an internal switch or to your devices using your D-Link's switch ports. If you place your ISP gateway into bridge mode, you can't use your D-Link LAN ports because you will need a router of some kind to provide internet access to your home devices.

Also, what service are you using for your speed tests? I recommend ISP Geeks capacity test - http://www.ispgeeks.com/wild/modules.php?name=CapacityTest

You would have a WAN interface for Internet and a LAN interface that would connect to an internal switch or to your devices using your D-Link's switch ports. If you place your ISP gateway into bridge mode, you can't use your D-Link LAN ports because you will need a router of some kind to provide internet access to your home devices.

Also, what service are you using for your speed tests? I recommend ISP Geeks capacity test - http://www.ispgeeks.com/wild/modules.php?name=CapacityTest

Numerous. Spectrum's, Ookla, Google now has it's own. I tried the ispgeeks one, but cannot get it to run on Edge, FF, or Chrome

I installed the D-Link router which has DD-WRT. Although the WAN port is only 10/100, speed tests and downloading, the now free, StarCraft, remained at a steady 98% - 99%. So perhaps it was some sort of issue between the two device. <shrugs> At least it works now

I installed the D-Link router which has DD-WRT. Although the WAN port is only 10/100, speed tests and downloading, the now free, StarCraft, remained at a steady 98% - 99%. So perhaps it was some sort of issue between the two device. <shrugs> At least it works now

Excellent - might be time for a Mikrotik or something!

I would say make sure the other router is set to auto negotiation on the wan port/lan ports and if that doesnt work, chalk it up to faulty hardware.

I have seen devices fail even though the blinky lights show everything is normal. Maybe what happened to your Netgear gizmo.

Back