Odd Paypal refund

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelvarr

Supreme [H]ardness
So this didn't happen here, but I'm wondering if anyone else has seen anything like this? Is it legit? Should I worry?

I purchased some magic fire buttons from a bang stick auction site about a month ago. I paid with a Credit Card via Paypal. I got the items, and everything was happy and fine.
Today, I got an email stating that the seller gave me a partial refund (the total was $198). I logged into Paypal (different browser), and checked my pending transactions, and sure enough, it shows up as a pending credit. Attached is a screenshot of the transaction from the Paypal website.

Attachments

• GunBroker refund.PNG
    GunBroker refund.PNG
    43.6 KB · Views: 0
Is your email address [email protected] and did the email say Dear XYZ and not Dear Mr. (your real name)?

Scammers will make you click but not know your real name so they will use the former. If it is a real paypal transaction they have your name on file and will say Dear Mr. your real name.

For paypal emails, I always use a specific email account - not my main general mail account. if a PP email arrives anywhere else, I know its a scam. Also, I never click the link in the email and go to paypal via my browser and check manually. They know they can get lazy clickers to jam themselves up.

Is your email address [email protected] and did the email say Dear XYZ and not Dear Mr. (your real name)?

Scammers will make you click but not know your real name so they will use the former. If it is a real paypal transaction they have your name on file and will say Dear Mr. your real name.

For paypal emails, I always use a specific email account - not my main general mail account. if a PP email arrives anywhere else, I know its a scam. Also, I never click the link in the email and go to paypal via my browser and check manually. They know they can get lazy clickers to jam themselves up.
The email started "Dear <myrealname>".

While my PayPal does use my primary email, I never click links in the email. In this case, I opened an incognito window, and specifically went to PayPal's website and logged in (and subsequently, got the "someone just logged into your account from a device we don't recognize" email) manually. Once in PayPal, I looked at recent transactions, and it indeed shows the partial credit Goin back to my credit card I used for payment (not a credit of PayPal dollars).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210413-015726_Email.jpg
    Screenshot_20210413-015726_Email.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 0
Urgh... I should have known better... Self-locking due to originating outside of [H].

Sorry Admins...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back