Odd Maintenance message in Win7 Action Center? What to do about it?

DaRuSsIaMaN

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a message from the "Action Center" in Win7 that is telling me the following:

Firstly, I'm not 100% sure what that means. Is it saying that this occurrence of a malfunctioning USB driver only happened once, on that date? And that since then the issue has not come up, and that it has been working just fine since? Is that correct?

If that's the case, then can I safely just forget about it?? I checked the device manager, and there didn't seem to be any problems. There weren't any yellow exclamation marks like the kind that WinXP used to display whenever there were driver issues. So should I try to do anything or just forget it?

Also, if I understood the error correctly, how is it possible that the usb driver failed to work on just one day and has been working fine the rest of the time? Usually with computers if something like that doesn't work once, the issue doesn't just magically go away on its own...

Have you tried, I don't know, reading the message and doing what it says? You know, like it's telling you to?

It says "follow the update instructions". What does it tell you to do when you click "View message details"?

you probably incorrectly disconnected a USB device.. ive had the message come up before when i disconnected my usb drive without using the safe disconnect thing because i was rushing to transfer something to a different computer..

you probably incorrectly disconnected a USB device.. ive had the message come up before when i disconnected my usb drive without using the safe disconnect thing because i was rushing to transfer something to a different computer..

Ahh. Ok thanks! That sounds quite plausible.

What does it tell you to do when you click "View message details"?

It doesn't tell me anything helpful, which is why I'm asking. It took me here
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=975599
which talks about getting a stop error "0x9F" as a result of hibernation, sleep, or computer restart, but doesn't mention anything at all about usb or any driver. It appears very much unrelated. I have since put my computer in sleep, hibernate, and done computer resets multiple times, and I never get any "stop error". Nor has that "usb class driver" problem come up again.

Yeah, it just means that the service crashed once or there was an issue. Most of the time these don't help at all other than help you keep track of what happened. If you archive it, it will stop popping up.

Back