Hiya,

Recently I put together the following system:

-A8N-SLI Premium MB
-AMD 3500+
-2gb (2x1gb) Corsair DDR400 XMS Duel Channel 2.5-3-3-6
-Soundblaster Audigy 2
-eVga 7800GTX KO
-Raptor 74gb SATA HD

Havent done any OC....mostly cause Im planning on replacing the CPU in the next month or so.

Anyhow whats really odd is I can run games like EQ2, Doom 3, etc all day long with no problems. But if I leave the pc idle..with no apps running, i.e at the login screen, etc after 20min or so it freezes. If i surf the web and stop to read a web page for more than 20min it will lock up.

I have run Prime95 12hours+ with no errors. I have run memtest 12hours+ with no errors.

Basically as long as its doing something its ok...but when no apps besides whats in the systray are running it will lockup.

I did notice that idle the CPU temp is around 50 which seems high but under heavy load the highest it gets is 54ish.

Any ideas?

Did you do a fresh install of windows with all the updates and all the updated drivers for the mobo, sound card, video, etc?

Sounds like maybe a software problem.

Maybe a virus or spyware?

-Run a Virus Scan / Spyware scan / Adware scan.

-Driver conflict? Reinstall drivers, update drivers. If it still freezes, try reinstalling any SPs / Windows fixes

-Maybe there's a temp. threshold set too low for the mobo? See if you can adjust that a wee bit.

Are the temps ok? They seem odd and high...especially the idle.

Oh and should I be using the EZPlug power connector to power the GTX even though im not doing SLI?

Back