Odd issue with my 1060 6GB

DeaconFrost

[H]F Junkie
I'm having a weird issue with the system in my signature. It was built last November (2017). It took me a while to get the fans all under control, but it has been running very quiet for all of 2018...until last week. I updated the BIOS of my motherboard, and it wiped out my Smart Fan 5 profiles. This past weekend, I was able to get them reset and back to being quiet. However, when running any game, my fan on the graphics card goes on full bore.

I had played the latest Call of Duty for a few months, with the tower being nearly silent. I fired up Lego Marvel Superheroes 2 for my nephew to play, and I get a very loud shrill from the video card. I have no idea why this would suddenly occur. I'm using the latest driver, according to Geforce Experience. Nothing internally has changed, from a hardware perspective. I'm thinking of rolling back a driver revision, but I don't fully believe this is the cause. I don't see any artifacts and no other issues aside from the sound.

I downloaded the eVGA Precision tool this morning, so I'll try that out tonight. I'm not sure why it would suddenly change so drastically.

Extreme coil whine? Try limiting the frame rate by forcing vsync in the Nvidia control panel and launch the game again.

Those Lego games are not hard to drive. Could easily be getting a couple hundred fps in menus causing ringing.

It's definitely the fan. I was able to slow the fan with my finger (high tech approach) briefly to be 100% certain. CPU load was relatively low during the game, according to CoreTemp.

Back