Odd issue with Gigabyte ga-z77x-ud3h and GFX cards

masterosok

Gawd
Recently moved my ga-z77x-ud3h to a different case and now I am unable to get the video card installed in the board to launch games. Every game gives some type of error indicating that it my video card is unsupported by the game (tried a 7590 and Rx380). Both the 7950 and 380 were both previously working in this motherboard at one time or another. I have tried a different power supply and tested the cards out successfully in another system, reformatted and reloaded Windows, various different driver versions, a different PCI slot on the board, updated bios and cleared cmos but I can't seem to get it to work. The system boots up fine and has no stability issues. GPUZ shows the cards correctly as well. I did notice that some times the post beep is a long beep and sometimes its a short beep but I haven't found anything to indicate a difference.

I suppose its always possible that the board got damaged somehow when transferring to the different case but just seems like there would be other symptoms if there was damage. It seems more like something really stupid but at this point I am just about ready to chalk it up to some sort of hardware issue with the board and leave it at that.

My server board just died on me as well (won't power) so I could probably use this one as my server board but was hoping to get this fixed so I could use it for spare gaming system for the g/f.

If anyone has any ideas as to what I could try that I haven't it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
if your cpu has an igpu make sure that its disabled properly in the bios

good but also check in device manager that the igpu is gone. then id tear it all apart and try it barebones out of the case. board, chip, 1 ram, 1 hdd/ssd, gpu and psu, nothing else.

Did you pull the board out of the case and try it bare on a table?

Maybe there is a stand-off shorting underneath you overlooked or a loose screw or something under there. Or some other short caused by the case.

I did end up taking it out of the case and still could not get it working. Then I decided to give up on the fixing the issue and put the board in my server to replace the board that died. I got windows installed and setup with another mobo/cpu and it did the same damn thing. Turns out its some sort of issue with the card and the monitor. There seem to be some sort of issue when using the DVI port on the monitor and the DVI on the card together. Tried a 2nd DVI cable to confirm and it did the same crap. Tried a DVI to HDMI cable, DVI on the monitor to HDMI to the card and it works. Then tried connecting a different monitor to the card with the original DVI cable and it works.

Just going to chalk this up to FML!

Thanks for all the help... I had a feeling it was something stupid but never imagined it would be THAT stupid.

Back