Odd issue where I don't get video some times

GhostCow

Limp Gawd
I'm starting to wonder if my computer is on it's way out so I thought I'd post here and see if anyone has had a similar issue. Maybe I can preemptively figure out what part is crapping out so I can replace it quickly if it does die.

Sometimes when I restart or shut down my computer I won't get any video. I'm not even sure if the PC is booting all the way but I don't think it is. It turns on and fans spin but the monitor never gets a signal. Lately I think it's getting worse because I've been seeing some other weird things. Sometimes when I sit down in my chair without touching anything on my desk or PC the monitor will lose signal for half a second and go blank. I'm not a huge fatty that shakes the floor when I sit down so I don't think it's caused by anything jiggling. It may be a static electricity thing though even if I'm not feeling a shock.

I thought maybe this could be a loose cable or something but nothing happens when I jiggle my displayport cable so I'm at a total loss here. Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this or have any idea what it might be? I want to guess it's the video card but it could be the mobo or anything else. I really have no clue.

I don't think it's the monitor. I also use my monitor for console games and I've never had an issue with the PS4 or Switch

I don't have any spare parts to try switching out with and I don't know how else to troubleshoot a problem that only randomly happens which is why I posted here to see if anyone else has experienced the same thing

yeah someone probably has something similar but they had to trouble shoot to figure out if it was the monitor or the gpu or the psu. anyway you cut it youre gonna need to start trying things and are going to need parts.

0 experience with this in particular, but if I had to wager a guess, it's the PSU or monitor.

Follow ups:
Do you use the same inputs for the other devices?
When you have the blank boot, do the fans spin up and down or stay at 100% (assuming they normally spin down a bit after boot)?
Can you use hdmi and does it do the same thing?
Is on board video an option for testing?

0 experience with this in particular, but if I had to wager a guess, it's the PSU or monitor.

Follow ups:
Do you use the same inputs for the other devices?
When you have the blank boot, do the fans spin up and down or stay at 100% (assuming they normally spin down a bit after boot)?
Can you use hdmi and does it do the same thing?
Is on board video an option for testing?

Other devices use HDMI while the PC uses Displayport so that could be a difference that points to the monitor

The fans on my PC are always the same speed to my ear. The only time it sounds different is when I play games and the video card fans spin up

Trying HDMI is probably an option, I'll switch to that for a while and see if I still have issues

On board video is an option. Hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

Seems like a GPU issue, but try with another PSU maybe the power isn't being delivered correctly to the GPU.

Back