Odd issue, not sure what to google...

todlerix

2[H]4U
I have a shared folder on PC1.

PC1 has a camera with pictures and videos that export into said shared folder.

PC2 has read/write access to the shared folder.

On PC1 I export pictures into the shared folder, i go to PC2 they aren't there. After a while they show up, I haven't figured out a time frame on how long they take to show up. I've hit F5 to refresh the folder, I've closed windows explorer and rebrowsed to the folder, I've tried mapping the folder - no success.

I've tried googling but I either don't know the right string or it isn't a common enough problem.

edit, add: It is not the exporting process either, even if I create a text document.txt in the folder on PC1 and go check on PC2 it won't be there for some random amount of time. I can view and edit the contents of the folder and still not have the most updated list of files, I have not checked via command prompt yet, I'll try it tomorrow.

edit2 add: I pinged the machine while the file list was out of date, the pings went through fine.

I first noticed the problem a couple weeks ago.

Anyone have any ideas?

I think I got lucky by googling for "windows network share slow":

3) Listing the contents of a shared folder is slow - Desktop.ini

Another issue that will slow down browsing is the desktop.ini feature. This issue affects Windows clients using mapped drives or UNC connections, this issue was fixed in XP sp2 (Q840309), but from Q326549 has re-emerged in Windows 7.

When listing a directory, Windows will search for and parse Desktop.ini files. This will noticably affect performance when a large number of subfolders are involved, it does this for the current folder and one level down the directory tree.

Desktop.ini can be used to provide a custom icon, thumbnail view, and can make normal file folders into 'Special Folders' (eg Fonts, History, Temporary Internet Files, "My Music", "My Pictures", and "My Documents").

Desktop.ini files are only visible in Windows Explorer if you first un-check "Hide protected operating system files" (under Tools, Options, View)

To see the file locks created by this process run the following command on the file server, while a client is (slowly) listing a large directory:
NET FILE | Find "desktop.ini"

A quick solution to this performance problem is to remove the READ_ONLY attribute from the folder and/or delete the non-essential desktop.ini files.

http://ss64.com/nt/slow_browsing.html

You know I have this problem with my PS3 and file sharing from my Win7 box. This is interesting to read and I wonder if it's related.

The folder I'm having issues with doesn't have a desktop.ini file. It is not a "special folder" as listed in the #2 post.

Back