Odd HDTV phenomenon...

I have two Vizio 120hz LCD's. A 55 inch in the living room and a 42 inch in the bedroom. Both are solid performers.

When I watch Uverse HD, occasionally, there is artifacting, so I got a little nervous and popped in Blu-Ray on each and picture is perfect. No complaints.

The phenomena I am referring to is when another HDTV set is being reviewed on television. For instance, on G4's Attack of the Show. It's funny, but the picture on the television being depicted on a portion of my own television seems to be more vibrant and crisp or 3D looking than the picture I'd normally see on my set.

Am I crazy or has anyone else experienced this?

It doesn't seem possible, but it sure does seem to be so...

Hahaha. I know. It's such an odd statement. But it is true. I see a TV reviewed and think "Wow, that picture looks BETTER than my set."

This is an IMPOSSIBILITY though because I am seeing that "better picture" on my own tv.

I suppose another run through w/ DVE might help.

I am wondering if maybe the sets on TV are set to showroom brightness/contrast. This could be making them "pop" more, The picture on those sets does seem a little more to the cool end. Maybe my taste is not to the NTSC standards :) .

I am wondering if maybe the sets on TV are set to showroom brightness/contrast. This could be making them "pop" more, The picture on those sets does seem a little more to the cool end. Maybe my taste is not to the NTSC standards :) .

Unfortunately, I'd say you are crazy. Ever heard of a green screen?

What would a green screen have to do with a review of a TV on a LIVE SET? And there is little doubt that I am a little crazy...

I am going to post a couple of links to the type of review I am talking about. I have pretty much decided it comes down to how they calibrate their sets for the reviews.

Not sure how well it comes across w/ the internet video vs. cable/satellite.

http://g4tv.com/videos/50460/Toshiba-46WX800U-3D-LED-TV-Review/

http://g4tv.com/videos/50011/Panasonic-TC-P50U2-50-Plasma-TV-Review/

What would a green screen have to do with a review of a TV on a LIVE SET? And there is little doubt that I am a little crazy...

Just because it's live doesn't mean they can't use a green screen to simulate images. It's done all the time and you just don't realize it.

You're right. I actually green screened this reply. It's not occurring on your monitor.

I am actually typing it from right behind you. I am doing it using the same technology I used to fake Tupac's death.

They do live green screens on the news all the time during the weather segments.

Thank you for the input. They also give lottery #'s and school closings but those don't explain it either. The televisions in the reviews I linked to are clearly not green screened in.

Sorry to be a smartass (only a little sorry), but a green screen wouldn't account at all for what I am describing since even if something is green screened or blue screened in, it is still showing up on MY television and my question is to why a television appearing on MY own screen might seem to be clearer (even though said on screen TV is being DISPLAYED by my tv).

I went back and looked and as noted, it is most likely just an illusion created by the way they have their sets calibrated. They always seem a little bluer/cooler. Doing that on my own set actually does help the illusion of a "better" picture, albeit one that is not set to home theater spec.

I know my original question was a bit obtuse. Thanks for the effort folks.

Last edited:

I think you kinda answered your own question right there. Just like when you go to Best Buy and the screens look so amazing. They have the contrast and brightness set so high(or low) that everything almost jumps out at you. I'd say just tweak your settings a bit and you'll be good.

Back