Odd Ethernet Issue

cornelious0_0

[H]F Junkie
Just wanted to throw my situation to the wind and see what some of my fellow [H]'ers thought.

Within the last 24 hours I had been noticing some abnormally poor download speeds and latency in WoW and it wasn't until this afternoon that I actually took the time to start looking into some of the specifics of the situation. Basing actions on the low download speeds and poor latency I proceeded to do the following...all to no avail:

- Power cycle cable modem/router
- Update router firmware (D-Link DIR-655)
- Move ethernet cable to a known working port on the router
- Try a new ethernet cable
- Re-install LAN drivers
- Confirm D/L speeds of 2 other computers (1 wired, 1 wireless) on the network

The last bit of information that I came across was the fact that when the onboard LAN is set to 100 Mbps/Full Duplex (down from the default 1 Gbps/Full Duplex) my download speed jumps from 220kbps to 2.1Mbps. This is still nothing outstanding but it does say something...I'm just not sure what. :p

For as long as I've spent engrossed in PC hardware tweaking I never have taken it upon myself to become sufficiently competent with networking in general beyond basic initial setup and file/printer sharing.

Curious to see if anyone has any thoughts that don't involve me swapping out this Intel DP55KG for the spare I have waiting. :p

gimp

[H]F Junkie
tried bypassing the router?

and by "- Confirm D/L speeds of 2 other computers (1 wired, 1 wireless) on the network" you mean what, exactly?
download speed on those 2 are what it should be? or they are the same?

cornelious0_0

[H]F Junkie
Sorry for not clarifying intially...my bad. :(

I have been using the online speedtest directly through my ISP to measure download and upload speeds. The tier of connection I currently have gives me $hit for upload but in terms of download speeds the laptop comes in at 10.5Gbps and my wife's desktop is sitting at 14Gbps...whereas I'm at a pitiful 220kbps. :mad:

I haven't bothered to bypass the router, I was under the impression that if I tried all available ports with more than one ethernet cable and my wife's hard-wired system using the same router is fine I shouldn't have to consider the router an issue.

I find it odd that when the onboard LAN is set to 1Gbps I come in at 200kbps download but setting it to 100Mbps nets me a rough download speed of 2Gbps. :confused:

keenan

2[H]4U
The default should be 'Auto Negotiation' or something similar. If you're manually setting the link speed it's not going to work properly. This sounds like a duplex/speed mismatch to me, though it is a bit strange.

cornelious0_0

[H]F Junkie
Setting it to auto results in the same slower speeds as setting it to 1 Gbps...not really sure at this point what's up. Faulty ethernet port?