Odd DX10 Performance with 8800 GTX

evilmedic

Limp Gawd
I tried the "Lost Planet Demo" with dx9,dx10 with xp,vista 64 and got some odd results.

My setup is as follows.
CPU: Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3200MHz (457*7)
RAM: 4 x 1024 DDR2 @ 914MHz
MB: Asus P5B-Deluxe @ 457MHz
Display: 8800GTX @ 630/1025 (158.18 xp / 158.18 vista 64 / 158.43 )
O/S: XP-SP2 / Vista x64

Any ideas on why?
1. Why with vista 64, 4 x AA perfroms worse than 8xQ AA ?

Here are the results.

LostPlanet.jpg

Nope, DX 10 only works on Vista 32 or Vista 64...... The DX10 looks alot better. The materials look more "realistic" due to the new shader programs allowed in DX10.

After running this demo, I am starting to get the feeling that the current generation of DX10hardware is nowhere near powerful enough to run up and coming dx10 content at high resolutions.

Nope, DX 10 only works on Vista 32 or Vista 64...... The DX10 looks alot better. The materials look more "realistic" due to the new shader programs allowed in DX10.

After running this demo, I am starting to get the feeling that the current generation of DX10hardware is nowhere near powerful enough to run up and coming dx10 content at high resolutions.

LOL, I've had that feeling all along. Glad I held off on my major graphics card purchases until later this year. First-Gen is always a wee-immature. But my new, shiny, GTS should fair pretty well until then; when it arrives, of course.

As to your concerns with the results, I'm relatively sure all companies involved will need some teething time to settle into the new libraries, driver models, and hardware. It's a new-ish frontier.

Hardware is some of it, but there's a lot of driver issues as well as software develoment issues as well. It's first gen hardware AND software, no doubt both will improve.

the demo just came out, good chance it will be buggy. im sure it will be fixed soon.

Actually, looking at these numbers, the performance isn't that bad, considering how this game looks IMHO.

Even so, todays best hardware is going to be upper midrange buy the time when see a steady flow of DX10 titles. With Barcelona, Penryn, 8900 and no doubt a qiuck respin of the R600 to it up to suff and you're probably looking at 50% more gaming power in six months or less.

Your not running the beta drivers I see has been improved and also if shadows are on high put to medium u will see a big jump.

i highly doubt the DX10 cards poor performance in the Lost Planet demo has anything to do with the cards or DX10 itself. Its a 360 port, and like all 360 ports, runs like crap. Personally, after looking through peoples scores, it looks to me like its the demo itself.

It is still a demo, can't really judge the performance until it comes out, and the first patch or some is out as well.

I tried about 3 different drivers for Vista and settled on the 160.03 beta drivers that I got from Guru3d's website, in my testing today, it is about 10 fps slower than XP on this demo. Course that may be caused by vista's overhead that we have seen from tests done here at Hardocp, and have nothing to do with crappy drivers or crappy/buggy demo, but i do know that the dx9 demo crashed on my about 3 times, but i played it all the way though on dx10 about 4 times.

P.S. Also downloaded the April 2007 directx sdk, says version 9.18.xxx, but in the desciption talks about dx10 files so I installed that and with the driver mentioned above no more problems in vista.

*I had to install the SDK as well to play the game.

I've been playing 1920x1200 no AA, 16AF, medium shadows, medium HDR, no V-Sync, everything else max and it's running great. No lag so far. For a game that is A) a xb360 port and b) looks as good as it does, I am shocked and impressed. The gameplay is what I expected, run around and shoot shit but damn, running around and shooting shit NEVER looked this good on the PC. I'm going back in for some more, I got my ass kicked by that buzzsawish bug in the caves.

Update my the results with more tests.(see top)

Added results with latest nvidia 158.43 Vista drivers

LOL, way to write off a hardware based off of benchmarks on the VERY first DX10 demo available...

i highly doubt the DX10 cards poor performance in the Lost Planet demo has anything to do with the cards or DX10 itself. Its a 360 port, and like all 360 ports, runs like crap. Personally, after looking through peoples scores, it looks to me like its the demo itself.

This is my thought as well. All you have to do is look up some Rainbow Six benchmarks to know 360 ports running like crap is fact.

I have a question that maybe you guys can answer. I saw low fps in the cave test so to see if it was video card or cpu. I turned the resolution down to the lowest setting, and lo and behold the same frame rate as before with the default settings, The game is made for the 360 that has 3 core cpu, so the game might be running 3 threads.

Would the performance in the game go up with a quad-core instead of a dual-core?

I noticed in task manager that both cores are maxed out so it is multithreaded dont really know how many.

What do you guys think?

Id wait to see a different DX10 game before I decided that. Im sure we'll be hearing this alot now that Lost Planet is out and untill the next DX10 title launches.

Capcom is one of my favorite companies but their pc games are always realy crappy ports. I get excited everytime I hear about one and they turn out running and looking like ass. How does Devil May Cry 3 and Resident Evil 4 look better on my PS2 then it does on my expensive pc @2560x1600? If this is their normal windowed port then I would just right it off and hope one day they get it together. Im fairly certain Capocm has the worst history ever at pc ports, the only ones they pulled off well were older 2D games.

Crysis looks much better and also seems to run much smoother than this game, so I'd wait for the true PC games like Crysis / AlanWake, etc to launch before saying the cards can't handle them.

Crysis looks much better and also seems to run much smoother than this game, so I'd wait for the true PC games like Crysis / AlanWake, etc to launch before saying the cards can't handle them.
Crysis is a faster paced game. At least that's the impression I get from the demo videos and comparing it to my experience with the Lost Planet demo. Lost Planet looked and ran better than I expected with my current rig (see sig). I ran this game at 1920x1200 and it was smooth.

Now, when was the last time you saw a video card released for a new DX revision running games with max detail at super high res? It takes a refresh or two before you get killer performance in the latest DX games. I have to say that this go round the experience was MUCH better than what I was used to with previous DX revisions and the hardware released at the same time to support it.

A lot of console ports are crap but I think this one is an exception to the rule.

What I meant was the code for newer PC only games will likely be optimized better for PC hardware, and while this game does look nice and run pretty well, PC only games will probably run much smoother.

Crysis is a faster paced game. At least that's the impression I get from the demo videos and comparing it to my experience with the Lost Planet demo. Lost Planet looked and ran better than I expected with my current rig (see sig). I ran this game at 1920x1200 and it was smooth.

Now, when was the last time you saw a video card released for a new DX revision running games with max detail at super high res? It takes a refresh or two before you get killer performance in the latest DX games. I have to say that this go round the experience was MUCH better than what I was used to with previous DX revisions and the hardware released at the same time to support it.

A lot of console ports are crap but I think this one is an exception to the rule.

As far as I know there was a video of Crysis in DX10 running at 1920x1200 0xaa but some af on a single 8800GTX, I would call that great performance.

That's good news about Crysis performance. I didn't know they were running one card at 1920x1200. I'd like to see a follow up to Freedom Fighters in DX10. I think that would be badass.

Same thing I've been thinking. That's why I am waiting right now. I need to see benchmarks/proof that the card I buy will perform well for games coming out soon.

Back