OCZ VERTEX2 or Agility 2 for 1st SSD purchase Info

M a d c o w

Limp Gawd
Hi Everyone ..
need some tips and info on 1st SSD Purchase ...
I was @ Microcenter and Frys the other day and comparing products and both agents suggested to get is something over 200 Read/Write Speed. So I cam across both of these:
1. @ Microcenter = OCZ-Agility 2 OCZSSD2-2AGTE60 2.5 ( Read Speed Up to 285MBps / Write Speed Up to 275MBps
0344221_753368.jpg

2. Frys or Egg - OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5 Sequential Access - Read:up to 285MB/s Sequential Access - Write:up to 275MB/s
OCZ%20Technology_VERTEX_60GB.jpg

So both at same speed for write n read. Not sure which is newer or better
OS and few PC gaming Apps will be just for the SSD. So which is the best way to go. Thanks in advance

The Vertex 2 has firmware that uncaps the number of random write IOPs the controller can perform. The difference in day to day usage is small though, so go for what's cheapest.

You should also know that those rated speeds are for only best case scenarios, and in real usage it will be somewhat slower depending on the data set being used. Even then, these drives are extremely fast and will do you good.

They both use the same controller (SF 1222) so I don't know what the practical difference would be.

Edit: See above

Don''t know exactly how the firmware improvements on the Vertex 2 effect overall performance but price wise The Agility 2 is about $40 less with MIR for the 60GB mode at Newegg right now. For that price I think the Agility 2 would be a better buy.

Here is the deal. Not sure how long it will last.
$119.99 price with a $20 MIR for price of $99.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227542

Go Intel, stay away from OCZ. I've been seeing their SSDs die left and right. Mines been good for about 6 months now though.

Last edited:
Go Intel, stay away from OCZ. I've been seeing their SSDs die left and right. Mines been good for about 6 months now, but for death rate of these things, next time, I'll be going Intel.

I've seen the opposite in my case. Could just be up to luck.

I've seen the opposite in my case. Could just be up to luck.

Same here.. But I do have to admit there are alot of complaints of the sandforce drives failing.. I however would blame that on sales.. The sandforce drives are cheaper then the intel drives per gb normally & have been selling like crazy, So there is probably just more out recently to fail.

haha, well until it is a proven tech, I'll probably be sticking with OCZ the more I think about it b/c I do lots of video editing and all of my projects are backed up else where. Always have a backup. ;)

Video editing on sandforce SSDs will be slower - Sandforce SSDs can't handle writes of compressed data (video) very well. A Vertex 1 or Agility 1 SSD would be better in that respect. :)

Video editing on sandforce SSDs will be slower - Sandforce SSDs can't handle writes of compressed data (video) very well. A Vertex 1 or Agility 1 SSD would be better in that respect.

Depends on the type of video you're editing. I work with raw AVI videos and Sandforce is a great controller(it can compress that data very easily). Video only becomes slow once you encode it for viewing.

Back