OCZ Vertex or Kingston V+

C McCarter

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

I am deciding between the OCZ Vertex 120GB or the Kingston SSDnow V+ or V series? Which one should I go with? It will be put into a Asus N81VP-D2 laptop. Thanks

unless you're talking a high performance system, I'd vite the Kingston. If you need high performance on the writes, go for the OCZ. Also, OCZ supports both TRIM and GC. The Kingston supports neither, and is based off of the Intel design. Intel has said that TRIM will never be supported on the Kingstons, and they also do not have GC support.

Kingston - slower writes, no TRIM, no GC, based on Intel firmware, cheaper

OCZ - TRIM and GC support, non-disruptive firmware updates (Intel firmware updates have bricked drives), and faster performance, more expensive

for most people the premium that the OCZ demands (price wise), and they probably don't need the performance advantage, either.

if you go Intel, make sure you get the G-2 for TRIM support. You will still lack GC. However, you will have slower writes, and potentially destructive firmware updates (maybe they'll stop nuking people's data, next time around). you will gain 20GB of space, though. As long as you're not doing a high number of small block writes, it should hold up, just fine. FYI, the Intel G-1 drives lack TRIM and GC.

Thanks for the feedback. The Intel's are too expensive for the 160GB. What is the difference between the Agility and Vertex?

Also, what will be the best way to bring my current C drive onto the SSD. I have a 320GB drive right now, but I cannot hook both up to the laptop. Is there a way to back everything up to a couple DVD's and install?

Last edited:
about a $20 after mail in rebates, :) both use Indilinx controllers, have TRIM and GC.

Agility
# Sequential Access - Read: Up to 230 MB/s
# Sequential Access - Write: Up to 135 MB/s
# Power Consumption (Active): 2W
# Power Consumption (Idle): 0.5W
# Max Shock Resistance: 1500G
# Features: 64MB Onboard Cache Seek Time: <.1ms RAID Support
# MTBF: 1,500,000 hours
# Model #: OCZSSD2-1AGT60G

Vertex
# Sequential Access - Read: Up to 230 MB/s
# Sequential Access - Write: Up to 135 MB/s Sustained Write: Up to 70MB/s
# Max Shock Resistance: 1500G
# Features: RAID Support
# MTBF: 1,500,000 hours
# Model #: OCZSSD2-1VTX60G

When it comes to Agility vs Vertex, you can't go wrong with either. The only real difference between the two is the model of NAND flash chip used and the speed of the onboard cache. In real usage, the difference in performance is small enough that I would consider it within the margin of error. Which ever is cheaper is the way to go. But, if sequential write speed is a big deal for you, the Vertex does have a noticeable advantage, but as Intel has shown, sequential write doesn't mean much for OS performance.

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=25727&PageId=4

Last edited:
Back