OCZ Vertex 3 SSD - Random Blue Screens...

disuse_nc

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

Just wanted to get the hive opinion before I look into possibly RMA'ing my new OCZ Vertex 3 SSD.

Have the SSD on Channel 0 of my Gigabyte EP-45R board (yes, i know.. I need to upgrade to the Intel i5/7 and get full 6gbps SATA II) and it will randomly blue screen (usually hours in between). I'm not doing anything intensive and it's always with random tasks. I've had it happen when gaming, skype conference call, or just plain sitting.

When rebooting, the motherboard will take a while to pick the OCZ drive up during the AHCI drive detection process and when it hits the windows partition, it will say that it can't find the bootloader and just hang.

Using SSD Life, it reports the temperature at 26 C and that SMART status is good with the drive being healthy.

Any suggestions? I've swapped the SATA connection and the SATA cable. I've added fans to the system to help keep everything cool (now have 3 200's and 2 120's) just to be safe with all of my other drives.

Firmware is up to date at 2.13... (came shipped with it).

Read that native TRIM support only works with AHCI...? Will try swapping over though. If IDE works and AHCI doesn't, would that lead you to believe that it's motherboard related instead?

Firmware is up to date at 2.13... (came shipped with it).

Read that native TRIM support only works with AHCI...? Will try swapping over though. If IDE works and AHCI doesn't, would that lead you to believe that it's motherboard related instead?

Could be complications with your chipset/sata drivers if it works in IDE mode.

If that ends up being the case you could return it for a refund and try a Crucial M4 or try a cheap PCIe SATA card.

Let it be known though that adding a PCIe card would be a workaround as the Sandforce controllers like you have experience the BSOD's. I have run 2 different Sandforce based cards on AMD chipsets and have never had a single problem.

Going on 5 hours... so far so good. If it goes for 48 hours without a bluescreen, I'll just lean towards it being the motherboard. Wife is approving of me upgrading, now I have a reason as I actually work on this machine :p

Wanting to buy a 60 gig Crucial m4 for my hackintosh drive. Will give me a chance to experiment

Ugh, it blue screened after 8 hours. Time to securely erase it and RMA it. Goin to go with the Crucial m4 instead as I haven't seen as much static over those failing. Is a shame as that drive is fast like lightning.

Back