OCZ Vertex 3 250 vs Intel SSD 320 300gb

Patyrn

Weaksauce
I can get the Intel drive for ~$300 off the normal price, while the OCZ would be full price.

Looking at reviews like anandtech's it seems like the OCZ thrashes the intel drive in the more arbitrary raw read\write speeds, but intel's drive seems pretty close behind in any kind of test which attempts to simulate "real world" performance.

I wish I could see a benchmark of something like video game level load-times or windows boot time. Those are the benchmarks I would care about.

So, would I regret getting the slower intel drive considering the larger size, discount price, and reliability?

Intel all the way, you aren't going to notice the speed difference between the two in real world scenarios. You will notice the bigger size of the intel and the reliablity of it also.

Agree w/munkle.

I've had 8 x X-25E's in RAID-0 for quite awhile now, no issues.

Recently bought an Intel 510 120GB SSD for root (yes, Marvell..) and using my old Intel X-25E for swap, still waiting out for the next generation (PCI-e 3.0 & X78 chipsets) before buying a server board.

Ooh I found this. Very interesting:

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1579/7/

I can't figure out why sites like anandtech / tomshardware don't do this type of test.

Anandtech does something similar
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4421/the-2011-midrange-ssd-roundup/3

1) The MOASB, officially called AnandTech Storage Bench 2011 - Heavy Workload, mainly focuses on the times when your I/O activity is the highest. There is a lot of downloading and application installing that happens during the course of this test. My thinking was that it's during application installs, file copies, downloading and multitasking with all of this that you can really notice performance differences between drives.

2) I tried to cover as many bases as possible with the software I incorporated into this test. There's a lot of photo editing in Photoshop, HTML editing in Dreamweaver, web browsing, game playing/level loading (Starcraft II & WoW are both a part of the test) as well as general use stuff (application installing, virus scanning). I included a large amount of email downloading, document creation and editing as well. To top it all off I even use Visual Studio 2008 to build Chromium during the test.

They also run a light usage benchmark

There's also a new light workload for 2011. This is a far more reasonable, typical every day use case benchmark. Lots of web browsing, photo editing (but with a greater focus on photo consumption), video playback as well as some application installs and gaming. This test isn't nearly as write intensive as the MOASB but it's still multiple times more write intensive than what we were running last year.

Ah I glossed over on those cause they looked like just another set of super synthetic benchmarks.

Back