OCZ Vertex 240gb SSD - $199

I saw this when the email came out this morning. It is a generation old EOL drive. I'm interested in this price, but don't know anything about it. Is it worth the money since I only have SATA 2 anyway?

OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-240G
Newegg is selling for a limited time the Agility 3 for $289.99 - $20MIB and a $30 gift card = $239.99 (if you look at it this way)
Under that same description, you'll see advertised speeds for Sata II at the same speeds at the Vertex for Sata II.
I ask myself the question whether the advantage of Sata III for the future is worth $40.
Sata III is basically maxed out on SSDs which tells me that if speed isn't going to increase, then price will decrease, quickly rendering Sata II SSDs obsolete. Therefore the value of Sata II SSDs are with the user, not resale.
If I'm going to buy a 240gb SSD right now knowing that I won't see huge speed increases, then $40 is a relevant investment.

I ask myself the question whether the advantage of Sata III for the future is worth $40. Sata III is basically maxed out on SSDs which tells me that if speed isn't going to increase, then price will decrease, quickly rendering Sata II SSDs obsolete. Therefore the value of Sata II SSDs are with the user, not resale.
If I'm going to buy a 240gb SSD right now knowing that I won't see huge speed increases, then $40 is a relevant investment.

Raw speed like SATA bus saturation is the last thing to worry about with SSDs. I've been arguing on the board for years now that you're not going to notice the difference unless you run benchmarks all day and the anecdotal evidence in the media and on the board, and now my personal experience, proves that. What's left? Price, brand comfort, reliability, and warranty. Choose wisely if you're interested in long-term performance which obviously starts with the drive not dying.

You're swinging a 128GB Samsung 830, which is priced at $199 at newegg right now. The question was whether $199 for the 240GB Vertex is a deal.

My preference is that I'd rather spend $40 for the newest version, which I did in the 120GB variant. My argument hinged on banishing what I find to be the biggest problem for myself, the upgrade itch. I'm upgrading from a 60GB SSD that has served me without fail, the upgrade itch being the culprit.

I'm willing to take the chance on OCZ, as a drive failure for me is pretty easily dealt with. Hell, with a 3 year warranty on an EOL unit, failure might just be the best thing that can happen to the drive, netting a free replacement upgrade.

And that's why I said $40 is a relevant investment to me. If I had ONLY $199, I'd buy the Vertex, if I had $240, I'd get the Agility 3. But if the question was whether you would choose a 128GB SSD for $199 or a 240GB SSD for $199, applicability of your aforementioned aspects should be the driving force, however not necessarily in a cumulative fashion.. If the drive fails once during it's lifetime and is replaced, was it worth saving the money? I say yes, but only from my position.

You're swinging a 128GB Samsung 830, which is priced at $199 at newegg right now. The question was whether $199 for the 240GB Vertex is a deal.

My preference is that I'd rather spend $40 for the newest version, which I did in the 120GB variant. My argument hinged on banishing what I find to be the biggest problem for myself, the upgrade itch. I'm upgrading from a 60GB SSD that has served me without fail, the upgrade itch being the culprit.

I'm willing to take the chance on OCZ, as a drive failure for me is pretty easily dealt with. Hell, with a 3 year warranty on an EOL unit, failure might just be the best thing that can happen to the drive, netting a free replacement upgrade.

And that's why I said $40 is a relevant investment to me. If I had ONLY $199, I'd buy the Vertex, if I had $240, I'd get the Agility 3. But if the question was whether you would choose a 128GB SSD for $199 or a 240GB SSD for $199, applicability of your aforementioned aspects should be the driving force, however not necessarily in a cumulative fashion.. If the drive fails once during it's lifetime and is replaced, was it worth saving the money? I say yes, but only from my position.

I feel I need to defend myself a bit and point out that my final cost for my 830 was nowhere near $199. The drive was recently on sale for $185 at Newegg. Then I sold the bundled Batman Arkham City/Norton Ghost 15 and took advantage of cash back offers to reduce my out-of-pocket cost to $155. So really, apples to apples, with all applicable SSDs on sale, and sellable bundles accounted for, we're talking about $155 vs $199 vs $240.

Granted, if I needed more space this point would be moot, but would I take a $155 128GB 830 over a $199 240GB Vertex Plus and a $240 240GB Agility 3? Every. Single. Time. In fact, that's what I did because OCZs are on sale just about every week (or day it seems). I didn't hold off on buying an SSD for two years to bring home a timebomb. I only considered the M4 and the 830. Nothing else was even on my radar.

Your situation is obviously different but the reason I replied the way I did was it seemed you were making a buying decision based on SATA saturation and advertised speeds, which I feel is a fool's errand with SSDs. If you just flat out have the upgrade itch, need 240GB, need to have check box features, and don't care if the drive dies, then by all means have at it. The Agility 3 would be the way to go if it gives you peace of mind. I just don't feel you'll notice the difference between the Agility and Vertex. Actually, I know you won't. I'm just being polite :)

Last edited:
I've read a lot of people complaining about having ocz ssds die on them, I haven't had a problem with mine though, i do have some questions though, is there any data on what the failure rate is for ocz in contrast with other companies?

I wouldnt touch OCZ unless it was about 50 cents per gb.. Just isn't worth the risk otherwise.

Back