OCZ Vertex 2 to Samsung 840 Pro

BatJoe

Gawd
Looking to upgrade the size of my 120GB OCZ Vertex 2.

Hearing a lot about the new Samsung SSDs. Would going to the Samsung 840 Pro be a big jump?

Looking to upgrade the size of my 120GB OCZ Vertex 2.

Hearing a lot about the new Samsung SSDs. Would going to the Samsung 840 Pro be a big jump?

Yes. I upgraded from a V2 to a Crucial M4 and the biggest improvement was the the M4 not degrading in performance. I haven't had to secure erase my drive yet. Look at the 840 Pro owners thread.

Its what I have noticed with the Vertex 2... when I first got it it was super fast, and now in terms of read/writes it's close to my regular spin drives now!

Its what I have noticed with the Vertex 2... when I first got it it was super fast, and now in terms of read/writes it's close to my regular spin drives now!

You're lucky that thing hasn't died on you yet. Upgrade ASAP, and in the meantime make an disk-image of that drive.

It has served me well - never had any issues since the first day I got it. I've already done a system image of it and should have the 840 Pro 250gb tomorrow.

Just dumping the OCZ is a positive step :) The retail 840 Pro's have been running well for the people that have been testing them (Including me)

Used Windows 7 system image backup and restore and am running the Samsung 840 Pro 256GB now. Speed increase is huge!

You can project from anand's real world testing that your new ssd is twice as fast as the old one in the most conservative situation. Consider how the vertex 2 will be a pig when full and heavily used. The 840 pro could be 3x faster right now.

You can project from anand's real world testing that your new ssd is twice as fast as the old one in the most conservative situation. Consider how the vertex 2 will be a pig when full and heavily used. The 840 pro could be 3x faster right now.

I did a test just before I upgraded with the Vertex 2 120gb. I only had 14gb free on it.
I used the non-pro HD Tune and was getting results around 140-160 in transfer rates. Thats fairly far away from the 200+ I use to get when I first got it.

With the Samsung 840 Pro 256gb with 120gb free I tested around 440-460.

They are beasts! I've had a crap-ton of different SSDs and these 840 Pros rock.

Back