OCZ Vertex 2 SSD Refurbs: 80GB $39 AR, 120GB $59 AR

Dude, that redirect script is very irritating. Even if I click on going to Newegg instead of amazon, I get redirected to amazon.

Combining three terms "ocz" & "refurb" ate scary, but for a non mission critical system these are good deals.

ahahha I just read the reviews on the 80gb and I think I am staying away. I am sure most are fine but I dont want to have to ship drives back.

Dude, that redirect script is very irritating. Even if I click on going to Newegg instead of amazon, I get redirected to amazon.

If you use Chrome, right click the link, then click "inspect element", then click the link in the href of the element. I realize [H] is all 'zon-focused but I fucking despise the redirect dance :mad:

*and just to clarify. I have prime and use it far more extensively than the egg. However, when all I want is the item's "showroom", a redirect away from the egg just pisses me off since I'm only going there to check the item out.

If you use Chrome, right click the link, then click "inspect element", then click the link in the href of the element. I realize [H] is all 'zon-focused but I fucking despise the redirect dance :mad:

*and just to clarify. I have prime and use it far more extensively than the egg. However, when all I want is the item's "showroom", a redirect away from the egg just pisses me off since I'm only going there to check the item out.

Let Kyle know. I get that they're pissed at Newegg, but there's no reason to harm the overall user experience of the site in the name of a couple more bucks of commission. I assume the links will go back to normal after this crap blows over anyway.

It really doesn't bother me.

The thing that bothers me the most by far is that Amazon often isn't cheaper than Newegg. That's what needs to be fixed.

It really doesn't bother me.

The thing that bothers me the most by far is that Amazon often isn't cheaper than Newegg. That's what needs to be fixed.

This.

Amazon with useful email promos and coupon codes would dominate.

Friends don't let friends buy ocz, people don't let people buy refurb ocz. That's just throwing money in the trash.

Let Kyle know. I get that they're pissed at Newegg, but there's no reason to harm the overall user experience of the site in the name of a couple more bucks of commission. I assume the links will go back to normal after this crap blows over anyway.

Just turn off Javascript. Problem solved. I never even knew what this was about until I allowed all kinds of 3rd-party domains and Javascript.

What a turd.

Friends don't let friends buy ocz, people don't let people buy refurb ocz. That's just throwing money in the trash.

Exactly, you will probably get a solid DOA to 3 months out of this. Hurry for rejected chips!

I had a Vertex 2 and it died after about 4 months. That's just my anecdotal experience, but I wouldn't recommend this drive.

I had a Vertex 2 and it died after about 4 months. That's just my anecdotal experience, but I wouldn't recommend this drive.

Chiming in. Got a cheap vertex 2 that someone got back from RMA. Lasted a few months and died. Replaced with a Samsung 830, no problems since.

Hmm... I purchased the refurb OCZ Vertex 2 last week for $40 on sale. Should I order one, and then cancel the order right away so I can send in the rebate :p

i'm leary of anything before the ocz 3 series, but maybe not a bad deal for something non mission critical

(most of my ssds at home are ocz agility and vertex 3's and i think i might have an agility 4, no issues with heavy use on any of them)

i'm leary of anything before the ocz 3 series, but maybe not a bad deal for something non mission critical

(most of my ssds at home are ocz agility and vertex 3's and i think i might have an agility 4, no issues with heavy use on any of them)

Yeah, I have an Agility 4 that's been going strong, but I'm not sure if I'd trust a refurb Vertex 2. To be fair though, most of the problems with these drives were related to the firmware, and any drive refurbished by OCZ should have the very latest version flashed to it.

Something tells me these drives are not limited quantity...

Yes, you are probably right. I got one last week for $40 shipped (no rebate involved). But so far the its working fine in my netbook running ubuntu 12.04. About to add a windows 7 dual boot install, we will see how it handles that.

I've had the Vertex 2 120 for almost 3 years and it's still at 100% durability. The TRIM/GC is horrendous, but the drive still works just fine.

I've had a vertex2 since they were released till now, as my main Daily Driver OS drive. Not ever a single hiccup. I think a lot of the hate comes from people who are just being sheep.

Just my .02

I've had a vertex2 since they were released till now, as my main Daily Driver OS drive. Not ever a single hiccup. I think a lot of the hate comes from people who are just being sheep.

Just my .02

Or comes from the fact that ocz made crap products. I'm not saying all their products don't work. But when you look at the reviews and 30%-50% of their products say doa or the ssd just disappeared and doesn't show in the bios anymore that is saying something. I owned a 50gb vertex le and it was a pos.

Do ocz products work for some people? yes. Does that mean they are a good buy? no, you can get far better for the same amount of money or a little more.

Whatchu talkin about willis? OCZ was KING of the SSD market for Vertex/Agility and V2/A2. They shared it with the Intel G2 drives. Both were top notch in their own respects and the OCZ offerings were reliable back then. Just because their business practices and reliability went down after doesnt mean EVERYTHING they made was garbage.

Whatchu talkin about willis? OCZ was KING of the SSD market for Vertex/Agility and V2/A2. They shared it with the Intel G2 drives. Both were top notch in their own respects and the OCZ offerings were reliable back then. Just because their business practices and reliability went down after doesnt mean EVERYTHING they made was garbage.

If you are comparing those ocz drives to the reliability of intel's g2 drives then sir you are simply misinformed.

Edit: here's some proof just incase you don't beleive me.

Here are two intel g2 drives.
3% 1 egg reviews.
2% 1 egg reviews.

Here is a vertex 2 drive:
32% 1 egg reviews.

Here is an agility 2 drive:
27% one egg reviews.

Here is a vertex 1 drive:
a little better at 11% one egg reviews.

Here is an agility 1 drive:
18% one egg reviews.

If you look at the reviews the vast majority of the bad ones for ocz are saying the drives fail. To say they are as reliable as intel is just false.

Last edited:
I have a 60 GB OCZ drive that stopped working for about 7 months then decided to come back to life one day. It loses data every so often, the drive corrupts and I have to erase it, and drops off the network at the most inopportune times. But I would still recommend that you'll buy these refurbs so you too can experience the fun that I have with this one! Even if you value your data a bit more than mine, at least give these to your family members that stab you in the back. Makes for a great stocking stuffer!

I use mine for playing games like Diablo 3 and Rage.

Can you show real reliability stats? Not just Newegg reviews which we know are all skewed? I know Intels were more reliable, but they werent so much more reliable that OCZ wasnt a consideration. More people purchased OCZ as they were cheaper and offered more performance for the dollar at the time as well. Regardless, its old news. If someone is on a budget these arent a horrible buy if you are just getting started.

Can you show real reliability stats? Not just Newegg reviews which we know are all skewed? I know Intels were more reliable, but they werent so much more reliable that OCZ wasnt a consideration. More people purchased OCZ as they were cheaper and offered more performance for the dollar at the time as well. Regardless, its old news. If someone is on a budget these arent a horrible buy if you are just getting started.

I'm sorry if you don't believe newegg reviews, go check amazon if you want. I cannot give you some professional review that says "we tested 100 drives and 30 of them failed" because nobody has done so. But when there is very substantial feedback from actual owners of the drive that say it is failing then you have to take that into consideration. Yes some of them are from dumb people who have no idea how to turn on a vcr, but when you have 32% of the reviews saying that the drive fails quickly or is doa that is proof enough. That is not in the same average range as just dumb reviewers.

I have had a Vertex 2 for the last 2 years. Absolutely solid. It was just too small though so last summer I replaced it with a Samsung 830 256gb. I would buy another but currently I am at my limit for for sata devices.

Back