OCZ Vertex 2 120 GB - $177

I just got 2. MIR is only for one, but it is still a good deal. going to run them in raid 0 for my OS.

I have this SSD. It's pretty nice. I installed 7 on it and was at a desktop in 8 minutes.

grr, I paid 200 for the 2.5 version last week. Assuming the 3.5 one is essentially the same thing, it's a great drive. Also, I've had 3 rebate experiences with OCZ and they all went fine, so don't let the rebate scare you off.

DO NOT BUY THIS!

They changed the chips used and the performance went to pure crap.

http://www.guru3d.com/news/ocz-vertex-2-with-25nm-nand-flash-reported-slower/

You can see tons of people with new drives having problems where both the read and write speed are greatly suffering compared to what is advertised as well as what was possible before. Also you lose an additional 5GB. Instead of the drive being 120GB it is only 115GB.

Just read the link I provided and search different computer forums for more information.

OCZ has now made a public statement regarding this.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?84821-New-update-on-the-25nm-OCZ-SSD-drives

Basically they acknowledge that there has been a change even though nothing was speicified and that you can pay MORE money on top of what you have already paid to get the older type drive which performs the way it should!!!

Guys please do yourself and others a favor. Avoid OCZ drives and spread the word!

[AK]Zip;1036836631 said:
DO NOT BUY THIS!

You can see tons of people with new drives having problems where both the read and write speed are greatly suffering compared to what is advertised as well as what was possible before. Also you lose an additional 5GB. Instead of the drive being 120GB it is only 115GB.

Just read the link I provided and search different computer forums for more information.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?84821-New-update-on-the-25nm-OCZ-SSD-drives

Basically they acknowledge that there has been a change even though nothing was speicified and that you can pay MORE money on top of what you have already paid to get the older type drive which performs the way it should!!!

Guys please do yourself and others a favor. Avoid OCZ drives and spread the word!
Thanks.

[AK]Zip;1036836631 said:
DO NOT BUY THIS!

Agreed with everything until the last line. Yes may be there is something up with this drive. I have owned 2 ocz ssd's with sandforce controller. Support was A+, would buy them again in a heart beat. If you are going to make a valid arguement dont ruin it with sounding like you work for OCZ competitor.

Agreed with everything until the last line. Yes may be there is something up with this drive. I have owned 2 ocz ssd's with sandforce controller. Support was A+, would buy them again in a heart beat. If you are going to make a valid arguement dont ruin it with sounding like you work for OCZ competitor.

I work in the audio industry. I have nothing to do with OCZ or any other computer related corporation.

The reason to avoid is because they did this without any actual information put out there that it would be done and many people who purchased these drives thinking they were going to get advertized size and performance did not receive anything remotely close. If OCZ would have changed the information to reflect the truth in both size and speed I would have no problem with this. A lot of people will end up purchasing the drive based on the specification that are advertised which the drive is not able to do. This is not ok.

Buy one of these new drives yourself and try it. Then tell me if you feel like you have been cheated.

I'd buy OCZ again, but the Vertex 2s are now a crapshoot on getting a good one (and one with the full amount of space it's supposed to have). Sucks, but that doesn't make me suddenly hate them.

[AK]Zip;1036837148 said:
I work in the audio industry. I have nothing to do with OCZ or any other computer related corporation.

The reason to avoid is because they did this without any actual information put out there that it would be done and many people who purchased these drives thinking they were going to get advertized size and performance did not receive anything remotely close. If OCZ would have changed the information to reflect the truth in both size and speed I would have no problem with this. A lot of people will end up purchasing the drive based on the specification that are advertised which the drive is not able to do. This is not ok.

Buy one of these new drives yourself and try it. Then tell me if you feel like you have been cheated.

He was only arguing with your last line, saying something like "avoid all OCZ products because of this" is just dumb. What they did with the Vertex 2 line was indeed bullshit, but it doesn't change the fact that 99% of their products are great quality.. I'm sure they know that this was a big mistake, so I doubt something like this will happen again with any other drives. But if they are dumb enough to try this again, I'll gladly agree that their company has turned into garbage.

Last edited:
Bottom line: OCZ is crap. Been seeing this one coming for a long time. Don't buy their drives. At least Intel doesn't falsely advertise.

He was only arguing with your last line, saying something like "avoid all OCZ products because of this" is just dumb. What they did with the Vertex 2 line was indeed bullshit, but it doesn't change the fact that 99% of their products are great quality.. I'm sure they know that this was a big mistake, so I doubt something like this will happen again with any other drives. But if they are dumb enough to try this again, I'll gladly agree that their company has turned into garbage.

Keep supporting them if you want. You are basically showing that a company can get away with bullshit like this and people will still buy from them.

My friend ended up with one of the new SSD drives when it was on sale and guess what he can't return it. Only replacement for the same item. So people who are buying an item and expecting it to be as advertised are screwed. My friend had to go through all sort of crap to get NewEgg to agree to take it back. If this happened to you I am sure you would be singing a different tune....

insane111...wake up buddy. It's people like you, is why they try and get away with shit like this. The consumer got screwed by OCZ and want us to dish out more cash for something we believed we were buying in the first place. OCZ should have honored an even exchange to those who got screwed plain and simple. I will no longer buy OCZ products because of crap like this.

But its OK...cause it didn't happen to you.

Shady move by OCZ. Definitely some flameboys in this thread with the anti-OCZ rhetoric (shills?), but in this case OCZ deserves it. They might wanna rethink if it's worth the negative publicity and word-of-mouth vs just eating some of their profit margins to do the right thing.

Bottom line: OCZ is crap. Been seeing this one coming for a long time. Don't buy their drives. At least Intel doesn't falsely advertise.

Here's some of that flameboy rhetoric. So you're comparing Intel, which has so much cash they can drop 4.5 billion on anticompetitive settlement lawsuits the last 3 years and another 700 million on the Sandy Bridge glitch, versus OCZ? Get a grip man. We consumers are LUCKY that small, agile companies operating on tiny margins provide competition and innovate. Corsair, OCZ, Silverstone and many other bit players are GOOD for consumers. Fact is, w/o OCZ, Indilinx and Sandforce, we'd be paying a helluva lot more money for ssds. Intel certainly wasn't keen to see prices drop, but they had no choice as the market matured.

Do I buy Intel products? Yes, but I'm sure as hell glad for companies that keep them honest in their pricing, because a full-blown monopoly always = higher prices.

Shady move by OCZ. Definitely some flameboys in this thread with the anti-OCZ rhetoric (shills?), but in this case OCZ deserves it. They might wanna rethink if it's worth the negative publicity and word-of-mouth vs just eating some of their profit margins to do the right thing.

Here's some of that flameboy rhetoric. So you're comparing Intel, which has so much cash they can drop 4.5 billion on anticompetitive settlement lawsuits the last 3 years and another 700 million on the Sandy Bridge glitch, versus OCZ? Get a grip man. We consumers are LUCKY that small, agile companies operating on tiny margins provide competition and innovate. Corsair, OCZ, Silverstone and many other bit players are GOOD for consumers. Fact is, w/o OCZ, Indilinx and Sandforce, we'd be paying a helluva lot more money for ssds. Intel certainly wasn't keen to see prices drop, but they had no choice as the market matured.

Do I buy Intel products? Yes, but I'm sure as hell glad for companies that keep them honest in their pricing, because a full-blown monopoly always = higher prices.

No, I'm just a guy that had three SSDs from them and dealt with more than a few problems and failures. I'm back to spinners and I'm staying that way for a while. If Intel falsely advertised there'd be a few more of those settlements :). OCZ's just getting away with it unfortunately.

Nice to know that as soon as someone bashes a popular product on these forums based on their own experiences, they're suddenly shills and flameboys.

I just cancelled my order. I've never had a problem with OCZ RAM but I'd rather not have to deal with any issues with this SSD purchase. Any suggestions for an alternative around the same price/capacity/performance?

I've never liked OCZ for some reason, pretty sure I heard of some really bad customer service on a bad product (sound familiar?) and decided then and there I'd never buy OCZ. This just reaffirms my decision from years ago.

Nice to know that as soon as someone bashes a popular product on these forums based on their own experiences, they're suddenly shills and flameboys.

My bad night_2004. I jumped to conclusions and based off your various comments including "Been seeing this one coming for a long time ", I zeroed on you out of the many anti-OCZ comments. I don't even own any OCZ products, but it's not uncommon to see fanboi/flamer dogpiles erupt in a thread like this. I was trying to bring some reason to the situation, but clearly, if you've had problems with 3 OCZ ssds, you got a damn good reason for being upset.

Again, my apologies.

I bought a Vertex 2 in November and love the thing. If you look at what happened with the 22mm ram, really this was a shady stab at sandforce by Intel. I mean they raised the price of the 32nm ram and offered this new "better" ram at a much lower price. Well OCZ was put between a rock and a hard place by Intel. And the thing that really shows how ruthless they are being in the SSD market, Intel is using 32nm memory on their new SSD's! Why? because they being the OEM supplier of 32nm ram can use it at cost while their competitors can't afford Intels markup.

Lot of hardball being played there and OCZ got caught with their pants down. Hopefully the new sandforce controller will be a winner or we may end up with another monopolized market.

My bad night_2004. I jumped to conclusions and based off your various comments including "Been seeing this one coming for a long time ", I zeroed on you out of the many anti-OCZ comments. I don't even own any OCZ products, but it's not uncommon to see fanboi/flamer dogpiles erupt in a thread like this. I was trying to bring some reason to the situation, but clearly, if you've had problems with 3 OCZ ssds, you got a damn good reason for being upset.

Again, my apologies.

Eh, it's okay. I could have definitely worded my first post a lot better I'll admit! I tend to forget that people actually post fud just to flame.

If the drive doesn't have an "E" designation in it's product code then it should be a 34nm drive and offer the same capacity and performance as the previous drives. The "E" drives are hit-or-miss concerning 25nm or 34nm technology.

insane111...wake up buddy. It's people like you, is why they try and get away with shit like this. The consumer got screwed by OCZ and want us to dish out more cash for something we believed we were buying in the first place. OCZ should have honored an even exchange to those who got screwed plain and simple. I will no longer buy OCZ products because of crap like this.

But its OK...cause it didn't happen to you.

Actually it did happen to me - two weeks ago. Either you don't comprehend English, or you didn't read what I was replying to. I'm not defending OCZ, I'm directly replying to the statement "never buy from OCZ again", which is a stupid thing to say at this point. Now, if they do something like that again, then that statement will be warranted. But they know they've made a big mistake, so I don't see it happening again.

Last edited:
At my store we return more OCZ products than any other competing product by any other manufacturer.

No thanks. I'll stick to Corsair.

At my store we return more OCZ products than any other competing product by any other manufacturer.

No thanks. I'll stick to Corsair.

Haven't had a problem with SSDs but at my store we no longer carry OCZ ram after getting several kits that all had at least 1 bad stick.

I had some OCZ Vertex SSD's(30gb x 2 in Raid 0). They lasted only 10 months before I started noticing problems. I was getting BSOD's, random crashes, etc. After installing Windows on a 640gb black(and having zero problems) I emailed OCZ Tech Support, who after having me try a few things, sent me the Destructive flash to 1.6 firmware. After that didnt work, I sent my pair of SSD's(not knowing which one was bad) to OCZ, and about a week and a half later I got a brand new pair of them! While they were being RMA'd I bit on a new Vertex 2 120gb ssd(2.5") because I was happy with the customer support. I'd call that good customer support.

Guess I'm one of the few...

Back