OCZ Trion 150 480GB SSD Review

HardOCP News

[H] News
You guys should head on over to CDLabs today and check out their review of the OCZ Trion 150 480GB SSD. Here's a snippet from the full review:

While not OCZ's fastest or most feature packed SSD, the Trion 150 is an easy and affordable way for consumers to improve the performance of their existing desktop or notebook computer. The Trion 150 combines Toshiba's TC58 controller with their new 15nm TLC NAND to provide a superior computing experience, enabling increased multitasking and productivity over traditional hard drives.

Damn. High capacity SSDs for less than $120? What a time to be alive.

I know the OCZ of today is not the OCZ of the past. The old OCZ folded, and was bought out by Toshiba.

That being said, I don't think I can bring myself to buy any more of their SSD's after my experiences. Every single one of their SSD's I've had has failed way before their time (and I've had a bunch).

I've RMA'd more than I can count, only to have the replacements start having bad reads fail before a year is up.

The most recent one is even a post Toshiba acquisition model.

The last OCZ drive I bought (you'd think I would have learned sooner) was a 256GB Vertex 4. When I had to RMA it in January 2015, the replacement I got was a 256Gb Vector. While going through the RMA process I instead bought a 256GB Samsung 850 pro for my main rig, so when I got the replacement, a 256GB OCZ Vector, I didn't have to use it, didn't trust it, and stuck it in a box where it sat unused for a couple of months.

Then I decided to stick it in my MythTV box to cache live TV. I figured this was non-critical data, and if I lost it it wasn't a big deal. It's been doing this for maybe 6-8 months now, and for the last few months has been having random read issues.

Smart still states the remaining life is 97%, and that there are 0 program or erase failures, but smart is wrong. This drive has problems... In my grand server rebuild in April, I will replace it with a Samsung drive. I trust Samsung drives.

My first ssd was an ocz, great way to get introduced to them, it broke as they then commonly did, I went with intel have stuck with them since. I'm surprised ocz is still around. To me the name is mud no matter who makes them now.

My first ssd was an ocz, great way to get introduced to them, it broke as they then commonly did, I went with intel have stuck with them since. I'm surprised ocz is still around. To me the name is mud no matter who makes them now.

Well, they entered bankruptcy. The SSD division was bought out by Toshiba.

They bailed out on warranty and left all but a few of their customers with top end SSD's hanging with failing drives and no warranty.

Supposedly, they are not at all the same company anymore, and their new drives are supposed to be better, but as I posted above, I still have my doubts.

Back