OCZ Trion 100 Series Entry-Level SSD Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
OCZ Trion 100 Series Entry-Level SSD Review - OCZ's new Trion 100 SSD is its first with TLC NAND and a Toshiba-designed controller. OCZ is positioning this new Trion series SSD as an entry level product for first time SSD buyers migrating from a spinning data drive. Does this budget SSD have what it takes to finally get average users off of magnetic storage?

Last edited:
I think this might be a great move if they take two focuses (Foci? Focii?)
1- Retail B&M. Push these guys at Best Buy, Walmart, Target etc. Places that only carry a few SSDs and tend to do so near the bottom end of the spectrum. With that BEAUTIFUL packaging (seriously, wow), and competitive price, they'll move, particularly once HDDs start to fade and SSD upgrading really begins with mom and pop. (Of course, when will that start happening??!) This can mean real name-recognition and mindshare for...
2- OEM. HP, Dell etc have yet to really embrace SSDs for consumer products. OCZ, with integration with Toshiba (HELLO Toshiba laptops!!!), has a bit of a foot in the door to be the first SSD to start coming standard in $500 consumer laptops and desktops. That can mean high volume, low marketing costs and good sales consistency.

All that said, it's a good product for the first out of the gate after the merger, but I think the real benefits will come with rev2 and lower costs as company integration is perfected.

If that 480GB can get south of $150 I might be a buyer. Been looking to replace a laptop HDD but need 400GB+.

Not a bad product, and I have a feeling after some time in market the price will be adjusted to help the Trion find itself. A good fit to upgrade a cheap laptop or even a prebuilt desktop. Possibly even a good fit for that htpc that streams most stuff but has a couple games on it. A little more time will tell.

Ps: Typo in title of last chart, last page.

I'll never buy an OCZ SSD -- ever; They ruined their SSD brand years ago when they had nothing but craptacular offerings; And then they price it higher than Samsung and Crucial drives? Rofl.

Has better stats then the Arc100, wonder if it will replace that model?

So far the Arc100 I have is good, no issues.

Has better stats then the Arc100, wonder if it will replace that model?

So far the Arc100 I have is good, no issues.

The Arc 100 is stronger in random performance and is more consistent with heavier-duty workloads. The Arc 100 also includes encryption, while the Trion does not.

According to OCZ, the Arc line isn't disappearing. It does however, seem due for an update.

I think this might be a great move if they take two focuses (Foci? Focii?)
1- Retail B&M. Push these guys at Best Buy, Walmart, Target etc. Places that only carry a few SSDs and tend to do so near the bottom end of the spectrum. With that BEAUTIFUL packaging (seriously, wow), and competitive price, they'll move, particularly once HDDs start to fade and SSD upgrading really begins with mom and pop. (Of course, when will that start happening??!) This can mean real name-recognition and mindshare for...
2- OEM. HP, Dell etc have yet to really embrace SSDs for consumer products. OCZ, with integration with Toshiba (HELLO Toshiba laptops!!!), has a bit of a foot in the door to be the first SSD to start coming standard in $500 consumer laptops and desktops. That can mean high volume, low marketing costs and good sales consistency.

All that said, it's a good product for the first out of the gate after the merger, but I think the real benefits will come with rev2 and lower costs as company integration is perfected.
On the retail side, I'm not so sure- is this even a big enough market for the amount of niche-splitting going on? I wish that I still worked in banking and could get access to good research on the topic, I might ask around.. but hardware is increasingly commoditized, mobile is generally killing the desktop, and it just seems like most people won't bother these days.

For systems integrators, SSD adoption seems like a bit of a game of chicken. They all want to put up big storage capacity numbers for the unsophisticated users buying PCs at retail. The nuance of the HDD vs. SSD debate is lost on consumers.

I bought my fiancee a MacBook Air last year with a 128GB PCIe SSD, and she was disappointed that it had less storage than the 750GB in her previous Ultrabook. Never mind that the 128GB SSD certainly cost more and was way faster- most people don't know/care, to their detriment.

To Apple's credit, the fact that they're using SSDs across most of their product lines is a good thing for SSD awareness in the minds of consumers, but my bet is that most buyers will attribute the speed bump to some Mac-specific magic.

If that 480GB can get south of $150 I might be a buyer. Been looking to replace a laptop HDD but need 400GB+.

Right now Newegg has the 500GB 850 EVO for $160 shipped. OCZ is going to have to be more aggressive than that, IMHO.

I'm just baffled at the price and am wondering what OCZ hopes to accomplish with this drive? Out of all of my cheaper SSD purchases it really is only the SanDisk offerings and Samsung's EVO that are being considered.

What is the purpose for releasing this drive for so much? Just weird.

More competition even against their own drives. This is the launch MSRP, I'd bet within a month or less they will lower the price to undercut the 850 Evo.

When Micron-Intel get their 3D nand into retail production it should really kick the bottom line out.

On the retail side, I'm not so sure- is this even a big enough market for the amount of niche-splitting going on? I wish that I still worked in banking and could get access to good research on the topic, I might ask around.. but hardware is increasingly commoditized, mobile is generally killing the desktop, and it just seems like most people won't bother these days.

For systems integrators, SSD adoption seems like a bit of a game of chicken. They all want to put up big storage capacity numbers for the unsophisticated users buying PCs at retail. The nuance of the HDD vs. SSD debate is lost on consumers.

I bought my fiancee a MacBook Air last year with a 128GB PCIe SSD, and she was disappointed that it had less storage than the 750GB in her previous Ultrabook. Never mind that the 128GB SSD certainly cost more and was way faster- most people don't know/care, to their detriment.

To Apple's credit, the fact that they're using SSDs across most of their product lines is a good thing for SSD awareness in the minds of consumers, but my bet is that most buyers will attribute the speed bump to some Mac-specific magic.
. All true. It is kind of a chicken and the egg scenario. There is money to be made in these segments, but is it enough to support a business? We won't know until a company goes out and actually tries it. The question is whether or not any of these companies will have the guts to try. And you bring up an important point, customer education. There are so many people that still do not understand the idea of a solid state drive, and simply look at storage amount.

I'll never buy an OCZ SSD -- ever; They ruined their SSD brand years ago when they had nothing but craptacular offerings; And then they price it higher than Samsung and Crucial drives? Rofl.

I feel the same way, but I hope you do know that the OCZ you speak of is dead and gone. They were bought out and are now OCZ in name only.

Back