OCZ Technology Launches Vertex Limited Edition SSD

HardOCP News

[H] News
OCZ Technology Group, Inc., a worldwide leader in innovative, ultra-high performance and high reliability memory and flash-based storage as an alternative to hard disk drives (HDDs), has unveiled the highly anticipated Vertex Limited Edition (LE). Based on a cutting-edge new architecture, OCZ’s Vertex LE is the epitome of innovation for power users seeking to integrate a new class of SSD in their Windows-based systems. For early adopters, a Vertex LE drive can take a high-end computing experience to the next level. OCZ will offer Vertex LE through its extensive network of distribution partners over the next few weeks.

Similar specs to the Turbo but with a tad faster write.

LE - 270MB/s read and 250MB/s write
Turbo - 270MB/s read and 200MB/s write

Anyone around here getting the Turbo at all? Correct me if I am wrong but I personally dont see any reason to get this considering the Turbo isnt exactly spectacular.

Turbo still uses the Indilinx controller, I don't believe this LE is using it. The Vertex 2 Pro is definitely using a sandforce controller, but I don't think anyway has their hands on the LE yet, but based on the sizes, it certainly seems to point to the sandforce controller.

Why would you think making a limited edition hardware product like this actually be a good business move?

Why would you think making a limited edition hardware product like this actually be a good business move?

First use of a new controller, so they don't make a lot of them and they sell them at high prices. If they prove to be too costly to produce for the mass market down the line, they already recouped their development costs by selling a limited number at a high price. But, then again, who really knows.

microcenter by me had a couple of these in stock....not sure exactly what I was looking at though.

They were $399.99 for 100GB.

Anyone know when they're out and how much they'll cost? I'm putting together a new pc build soon and want to use an SSD. I was planning on the regular vertex 120gb, but if this new one is decent and somewhat affordable, I'll get it instead.

I hate it when they use the term "limited" to make something sound special. To me, "limited" means something along the lines of a short bus. Like, what is it limited at doing? Maybe they want it to sound special, like "special olympics". Hmm...

Still waiting to jump on the SSD bandwagon. Or short bus in this case. ;)

I have yet to understand the phrase "Limited Edition" in the hardware world. 99% of the time, hardware is not collectible. Someone builds a [H]ard system with this drive and, most likely, that drive will be in the closet in less than two years. Limited edition. Because people are scrambling for hard drives.

And yet another fucking uselesss SSD. I'm sorry, there is absolutely no point in releasing your 59945th SSD that are all within 5% of each other in performance when the entry level for them is still so expensive.

How about a cost effective, high performance SSD?

You realize when they say "controller" they mean the one in the drive itself, right? Those actually make quite a bit of a difference in SSDs.

Yes, the SandForce SF-1500 is arguably the fastest SSD controller... which doesn't yet support the latest "controller technology" for the SATA interface.

These SSD prices take me back to the days when storage costs you an arm and leg.

Interesting, and nice specs at least. The price is going to be quite high. Hopefully the vertex 2 drives will be more affordable. I don't expect any serious price drops before Intel refreshes their line, even if these newer ones are using 3xnm flash compared to the old vertex/agility series.

Back