OCZ Stock Crashes 60.5% in TWO days

It dropped 33% the first day and then 37.5% the 2nd day so the title should be 70.5% drop.

It looks like the big lenders and funding are dumping.

It dropped 33% the first day and then 37.5% the 2nd day so the title should be 70.5% drop.

No, that is not how the math works.

1 - (1 - 0.33) x (1 - 0.375) = 0.58 or 58% drop in two days

Or you can just look at the closing prices. 1.07, 0.72, 0.45

1 - 0.45 / 1.07 = 0.58 or 58% drop in two days

Personally, I have 2 of there SSD's, and neither have had problems. That being said I am hesitant to put their drives in any of my critical data.

They took a big chance being one of the first and they brought a lot of changes to the table. Unfortunately they were the ones to figure out a lot of errors, and they did it consistently. The problem was that the public saw it as OCZ = bad product, while everyone else who waited until the technology had matured looked good in the publics eye.

OCZ is nothing but a disaster for consumers, which get tricked by fake specifications and are awarded inferior products for the same price as honest and proper products. It's surprising how much second chances consumers award to OCZ, even though they are being ripped off multiple times.

The day OCZ goes broke is the day the SSD market washes away its filthy stains of the past. Right in time for the NVMe generation! I'm excited!

Well even if they are gone the plague of sandforce controlers they unleashed on the market will remain.

Today Sandforce isn't as bad as it used to be; all the OCZ consumers were used as guinea pig to iron out all the Sandforce bugs. But even with a stable controller, OCZ manages to screw up. For example by overclocking the controller for some extra benchmark results, but potentially higher RMA. The point is, the customer is just a cow that needs to be milked, when viewed through the sunglasses of OCZ. Once those sunglasses are destroyed, I'd figure that's good news for the cows. =)

Time to make a list of people who were driving OCZ in the last 8 years or so and see where they are going after this thing goes poof.

I sure won't be buying anything they touch. The priorities are all screwed up.

I hope they're able to turn it around. Sucks when a company goes under.

It is, but they only have themselves to blame really. Got to step up when the competition gets tough :) They made some excellent memory back in the day! Thinking of the Platinum EB TCCD DDR 200Mhz 2-2-2-X that would happily run at 318Mhz at more relaxed timings that Anand used as a bench platform...

Fuck these guys, seriously. Internet required to flash firmware? WTF?

OCZ is nothing but a disaster for consumers, which get tricked by fake specifications and are awarded inferior products for the same price as honest and proper products. It's surprising how much second chances consumers award to OCZ, even though they are being ripped off multiple times.

The day OCZ goes broke is the day the SSD market washes away its filthy stains of the past. Right in time for the NVMe generation! I'm excited!

OCZ pushed SSD prices way down (50 cents per GB or less), and SSDs haven't been that low since.

60.5% thats harsh. Their equipment prices are stable...at least now...BF might come early for some lol

Back in 2010 I purchased a 90GB Vertex 2 SSD. It's worked fine and I've not had any issues (knock on wood). O well :eek:

Don't talk as if all of their SSDs were crap.

Some devices might not have been, but they were all going through the same crap RMA process.

And the preceding business decision about target RMA rate. Aka testing, what?

I looked up their financials and they're in worse shape than AMD. Wouldn't invest in them.

In 2012 their cost of revenue was higher than the revenue and now they're barely breaking even there...

OCZ - bought 16 drives - returned 8 initially - of the other 8 another 7 have now failed and we have 1 left. This was the vertex3 line and we had issues with vertex2 line. I would not touch their products with a 10 foot pole. All replaced with Samsung 830/40 range. Drives where only ever partial stable as a single drive - raided together was constant failureville - we eventually used them on low end laptops but still consistently they died. OCZ reliability was a perceived disaster and in reality it was nearly that bad.

And it's back up 34% today. Someone just made out, while another lost too much to bear.

I fucking hate this company so much.

This is pretty much their advice to everyone on their support forum: "Go find a data recovery company."

Anandtech just reviewed the Vertex 150 and had it die on them... Buyer Beware

From Anand's updated review:

Update: We're now fairly convinced that the death of our first Vector 150 sample was a result of our power analysis harness and not the fault of the drive/firmware itself. Our second Vector 150 sample has been running flawlessly since receipt.

From Anand's updated review:

Wonder how much OCZ gave them to say that... Out of the 2 OCZ drives I owned, 1 of them had to be replaced twice in less than a year (vertex 2). I know I wrote off OCZ SSDs a long time ago because of that.

OCZ is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

They have 3 main divisions: SSDs, RAM, and PSUs.

PSUs have very little margin, and is currently dominated by Seasonic and Corsair, especially on the low end where Corsair sells the CX series at a loss when they're on sale.

RAM, likewise, has very small margins as well, and they no longer have the recognition they used to have.

SSDs also have very thin margins, and the bad rep they built up doesn't help either. In fact, I just had my OCZ Deneva 2 die on me, and it's an enterprise level SSD.

Everybody hates on their SSDs, but don't forget, they were the first to have affordable PCIe SSDs, hey have great PSUs, and I haven't really heard bad things about their latest SSDs. It seems to me, while technology progresses many peoples opinions don't.

They made (make?) excellent PSUs and RAM but you can't deny that their SSDs have been a disaster compared to other manufacturers. Maybe it's getting better now but I can't blame people for still hating them. It's never fun to lose data (even when you have backups) and re-installing an OS isn't much fun either.

Wonder how much OCZ gave them to say that... Out of the 2 OCZ drives I owned, 1 of them had to be replaced twice in less than a year (vertex 2). I know I wrote off OCZ SSDs a long time ago because of that.

Sounds implausible, too. Overvolting from such a harness? [raises eyebrows]

The drive should survive some fluctuations from undervoltage.

Maybe Anand can elaborate and be specific about what this harness did to the drive?

Don't talk as if all of their SSDs were crap.

All of their SSD's were crap.

Those few, those very few exceptions? They just prove the rule.

DOA's, early deaths, inexplicable incompatibilities, and oh did I mention data loss (yes, seen it -- accepted writes it then provably never actually put to NAND, and later handed back old data as if it never saw the intermediary write). The RMA process others have mentioned. The general lack of support altogether.

Crap, sir. Crap.

Back