OCZ SSDs - Why are they so bad?

The name OCZ is burned forever. If there's a new management and everything, why cling to a name that destroyed so much trust you can never regain? It's strategic nonsense.

Because believe or not, it's not destroyed beyond saving/recovery.

eh..
OCZ:Guaranteed for life! owait.. :wth:
BFG Guaranteed for lfe! ..owait..
The agility 2 and 3 i got back from RMA have been flawless for about 2 yrs now :)
There were serious problems early on though.
With a (new) firmware flash and a secure erase they are fine, though.

Just want to share my experience with RMA. I shipped my dead OCZ Vertex 2 120GB ($3 shipping) and got back a refurbished Vertex 3 128GB. (Can't really take advantage of the added speed as my board is SATA II). They ship about 1 day after receiving my drive via UPS Ground. Pretty good experience so far.

It seems the warranty of the replacement is 6 month or until the end of my original warranty, which ever is later. I hope the Vertex 3 is better. Don't want to re-install everything again.

Just want to share my experience with RMA. I shipped my dead OCZ Vertex 2 120GB ($3 shipping) and got back a refurbished Vertex 3 128GB. (Can't really take advantage of the added speed as my board is SATA II). They ship about 1 day after receiving my drive via UPS Ground. Pretty good experience so far.

It seems the warranty of the replacement is 6 month or until the end of my original warranty, which ever is later. I hope the Vertex 3 is better. Don't want to re-install everything again.

I went through the same sequence, except mine was a Vertex 1.

The new Vertex 3 I got back instead is one of those that died on my ZFS tests.

Ah Vertex 1 brings back some memories at my previous work place. Opening a box of 20, prepped for pre-built workstations for client/company, 3 doa, 6 failed on various mixed hard drive test loads to ensure stability before systems were boxed up and dispatched. Vertex 2 was worse in the sense it did not last more then a few months of maintaining it's speed.

When I built my first PC back in 2012 I used the OCZ Fatal1ty 1000W PSU and Vertex 3 128 GB SSD as the boot drive. I replaced the Vertex 3 after about three years with a 1TB Samsung 850 Evo but it worked fine up until then. The PSU was still working before I built my new PC recently. It's weird to see they are gone but not surprising since their products had a bad reputation for reliability.

1595606898499.png

I remember those Vertex gen1 pieces of junk. They were sure a nice start after hard drives though.

I had a Vertex Gen 1 die on me. I feel like it was a badge of honor back in the day being an early SSD adopter.

V3 128Gb going strong was only removed from daily (and now is a games drive) a few years back... no problems at all.

I had multiple versions of the vertex 3 sandforce based drives and they are still kicking, no issues at all.

I had multiple Agility 3s die back in the day - those were the days! I've still got a Vertex (460 maybe) - on an external USB for my XBone games.

Toshiba bought OCZ out in 2013 and retained the OCZ brand name. Not sure how well they are doing but personally, I don't here of anyone on enthusiast forums using their SSD products. Looks like Toshiba also markets SSDs under their own brand name: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ocz+SSD&ref=nb_sb_noss_2.

Since Toshiba has been out of the laptop market segment for several years I'm not sure if they have much of an outlet for their SSD products.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Toshiba bought OCZ out in 2013 and retained the OCZ brand name. Not sure how well they are doing but personally, I don't here of anyone on enthusiast forums using their SSD products. Looks like Toshiba also markets SSDs under their own brand name: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ocz+SSD&ref=nb_sb_noss_2.

Since Toshiba has been out of the laptop market segment for several years I'm not sure if they have much of an outlet for their SSD products.

Been using an OCZ trion150 480GB drive for ages as a games drive without issue.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back