OCZ Reaches Agreement With Toshiba to Acquire SSD Business

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by HardOCP News, Dec 3, 2013.

1. HardOCP News

HardOCP News [H] News

OCZ Technology Group, Inc., a leading provider of high-performance solid state drives (SSDs) for computing devices and systems, today announced that the Company has signed an asset purchase agreement with Toshiba Corporation, a global technology leader and manufacturer of NAND flash memory, to acquire substantially all of OCZ's assets in a chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding for $35M. Under this agreement Toshiba will acquire OCZ's client and enterprise solid state drive business. OCZ will continue to operate and serve existing and future customers during this process. Toshiba has agreed to provide the Company with DIP (Debtor-in-Possession) financing to ensure that there is adequate capital and flash supply to support the business during the contemplated sale period. The consummation of the asset purchase agreement is subject to an auction and approval by the bankruptcy court in the Company's bankruptcy case.

2. Well. I'll be avoiding any OCZ products in the future.

I wouldn't give Toshitba my money if they were the only computer component vendor on the planet and I had a someone standing over me ready to execute me if I didn't buy.

3. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

I've already started warning all my friends about any fire sales on OCZ stuff. Friends helping friends. Spread the word. :D

4. faugusztin

faugusztin 2[H]4U

And you weren't avoiding OCZ products until now ? :eek:

5. DF-1

DF-1 2[H]4U

thats a little extreme I think. I'd definitely buy! :eek:

6. illli

illli [H]ard|Gawd

lol i was thinking the same thing. i've avoided ocz like the plague for years. i'd never consider using their products in my builds

7. thebufenator

thebufenator [H]ard|Gawd

I still like my OCZ drives :p

8. darkpaw

darkpaw 2[H]4U

My first SSD was a 128GB OCZ and then I had picked up a few 60GB units for microbuilds.

Every single OCZ SSD I had died within 18 months (most within a few months and I got tired of RMAing them).

Good riddance.

9. algierswhodat

algierswhodat Limp Gawd

looks like the low stock price was worth avoiding..

10. viscountalpha

viscountalpha 2[H]4U

Hopefully Toshiba will put some quality back into OCZ. Or just take over their company plants completely.

11. samm

samm [H]ard|Gawd

Hopefully they only buy the brand name and the mfg plants and not the quality control issues :p

12. gathagan

gathagan Gawd

Ha!
    If OCZ was, in fact, "a leading provider of high-performance solid state drives (SSDs) for computing devices and systems", they wouldn't be in chapter 11 bankruptcy.

13. HAQattaq

HAQattaq Limp Gawd

Has more to do with the business than the product.

14. samm

samm [H]ard|Gawd

But their business was their product LOL. And according to their rep from various threads and reviews their SSD product (at least) was horrendous, So....idk

15. uOpt

uOpt Gawd

Hmm, much backwards?

Toshiba grindy storage doesn't seem to be bad.

16. bloodypulp

bloodypulp Gawd

the only part worth keeping is the Indilinx division for controllers. expecting future Toshiba SSDs to pair the controllers with their NAND.

17. Outamyhead

Outamyhead [H]ardness Supreme

LOL +1

18. xX_Jack_Carver_Xx

xX_Jack_Carver_Xx 2[H]4U

The problem came when they wanted to transition from someone who takes generic stuff, puts their "brand" on it and resells retail. As long as you bought good OEM stuff, you could make a good business work.

To... actually manufacturing themselves a very complex state of the art device, to compete with the BIG BOYS. You need to have much deeper pockets to ramp up such a sophisticated manufacturing operation. If you instead try to cut corners contracting to crappy subs, you get failure rates that trash your brand and ultimately do you in.

19. DedEmbryonicCe11

DedEmbryonicCe11 [H]ard|Gawd

I am probably the exception here but I am still running games daily off a Vertex 1 Turbo 30GB drive. It used to be an OS disk but now that I've upgraded to a 128GB Samsung it doesn't see much write use. Aside from new installs and patches of course. I've certainly accumulated my money's worth out of it over the years. I've read so many horror stories about them ever since that as tempted as I was, I never upgraded to the later series and waited patiently for more reliable drives to reach affordable prices.

20. aquabusa

aquabusa [H]Lite

Newegg has several OCZ items on sale with a rebate. Do you think Toshiba/OCZ will honor the rebate?

21. HardUp4HardWare

HardUp4HardWare [H]ardness Supreme

You are not an exception I have 2 OCZ drives and have never had a problem. Boot off them daily.

22. tazeat

tazeat [H]ard|Gawd

Meh I had a few Vertexes of varying generations that all worked fine for a while, then would crash until you secure erase then work fine for many months and then have issues again... Whether it was a slowdown, major corruption, or complete failure, it varied. Always appeared to work fine after erase. I did have data loss a couple times which was the worst, but I always had recent backups... ended up giving me nothing but more problems though and I just didn't trust them. I ended up trashing them when it wasn't worth it anymore and prices came down on other products. My luck with the many Intels and Samsungs I have no owned has been nothing but flawless.

23. /dev/null

/dev/null [H]ardForum Junkie

I still have OCZ's in my main linux rig....no major issues. I did have 3 die of the first 13 I bought, but no issues since:

Code:
    root@rob-desktop2:/home/rob2# smartctl -i /dev/sda | grep -A2 START
    === START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
    Model Family:     Indilinx Barefoot based SSDs
    Device Model:     OCZ-VERTEX
    root@rob-desktop2:/home/rob2# smartctl -i /dev/sdb | grep -A2 START
    Device Model:     OCZ-AGILITY
    root@rob-desktop2:/home/rob2# smartctl -i /dev/sdc | grep -A2 START