OCZ Plans Bankruptcy Filing

I guess they couldn't recover after the debacle with their second gen SSDs. I stopped buying their products when that occurred. Trying to mislead your customers, when a product is new, and mainly catering to enthusiasts when it first came out, was a poor, poor choice.

I'll miss them... I guess surprisingly (based on this thread), I've had good experiences with all their products. I had some RAM go bad once when a motherboard flaked, and had quick replacement. Still no worries about my two OCZ SSDs either. Not a single issue on my Vertex 3 MaxIOPS or my Agility 3. Both have been rock solid daily performers. Wish I could say that for my Intel SSD. They won't even acknowledge the 330's widespread freezing issues, but they'll be happy to replace it with another faulty drive.

I went through 5 vertex 1's before they finally upgraded me to a vertex 2. That died within 2 years. Lucky by then I had already moved onto Samsung 840 pro's and will not go back or to any other ones. I do remember OCZ to be one of the first to travel into SSD's with their core series. Then that had the stutter issue. Vertex 1 was half the price of intel ssd so that was nice, but what point is half the price if it breaks every few months (and you lose your stuff, week-2 weeks of rma time). I skipped the vertex 3 days of bsod's (all manufacturers had issues with sandforce). I bought vertex 4 with the Indiliux infused (ocz tried to mislead people) which instead it was a marvell chip. It still is going today in a different computer, but I would not trust them after that. By the time vector or 450 came out, samsung 840 pro was out for the same price...why would someone buy ocz at that point.

If that is what "Toms" has found then that is their findings, I will speak from my own with no financial gain or bias by saying so.
They based this off customer reviews from Amazon and Newegg. Based on reviews, they calculated the failure rates.
[/QUOTE]

They basically got burned by the SandForce fiasco though, right?

No SandForce was a scapegoat. Their biggest issue was using crappy bookkeeping. The more successful they got, the more money they loss. They successfully (for a while) used crappy memory that no one else wanted to drive down prices, but then the warranty and rebate costs got out of control, and the crappy memory couldn't meet their supply needs. They did it to themselves.

They sold and used a lot of rebates to gain market share with the lost of profit. (Only big companies can do that and survive). Then throw in the issues with ssd's and then finally Samsung caught up and surpassed technology and speed for good prices and that was the end.

No SandForce was a scapegoat. Their biggest issue was using crappy bookkeeping. The more successful they got, the more money they loss. They successfully (for a while) used crappy memory that no one else wanted to drive down prices, but then the warranty and rebate costs got out of control, and the crappy memory couldn't meet their supply needs. They did it to themselves.

Been there done that.

Last week they had a "Shell Shocker" deal with 120GB vertex II's for $45. Figured I could RMA it two times before it comes close to break even VS a comparable SSD.

Already on RMA #1. Drive was DOA.

It was actually $46 and 100GB. I got one and its running perfectly in my old SATA II system as extra storage. Installed three games on it - works fine. Only had about ten hours on it (so its basically new old stock). That same system has a Vertex Plus as the boot drive, plus I have OCZ DDR3 RAM in it and a PC Power and Cooling power supply (pre-OCZ buyout) in it. Hell, the even the CPU HSF has OCZ Extreme TIM on it (always a favorite of mine). I've had good luck with their products.

What about "PC Power & Cooling?", what's going to happen to them? As it's owned by OCZ.

As to OCZ, they deserve it, I've been saying for years, in this forum, that their SSD is garbage. At the time, some other members here disagree, now, look who's right.

No big loss. Everything OCZ made was garbage.

I had a PC Power and Cooling PSU from after PCP&C got bought out by OCZ, and it literally shot flames out of the back of my case when it died and took a lot of my hardware with it.

what's your PSU model name of PC Power & cooling that caught on fire?

With all the talk about failure rates of Xbones and PS4's, this situation with OCZ is a good example of why 1% maybe acceptable to corporations but it's clearly not acceptable to customers. And OCZ experiences a range of 1.83% to 6.7%. That's the kind of failure rates that leads to bankruptcy.

According to Tom's Hardware, you'd want to stick with Western Digital or Samsung for mechanical drives reliability, and Intel for SSDs. Intel does so good that they have 0% on some drives, and Seagate does so bad that it has nearly 9% on the Barracuda's.

Not surprised with OCZ, but I am surprised that Seagate is still in business. With the internet today, nobody wants to deal with any failure rates. Especially when it comes to data. Nothing pisses you off more then losing data.

FYI, Seagate owns Samsung's HDD division.

Western Digital and Seagate make up in excess of 95% of the Hard Drive market. Western Digital recently bought out Hitachi.

They're in business because there's simply no one else left.

Have 3 Revodrivesrunning flawless since 2011/2 ?!

Boomer :(

thats what I had.. every single one of them the raid controller detected a failed drive. Including the last one (4 week wait for it come from china, and it was in a sealed retail package when I got it)

OCZ used to make the best RAM on the market and I have never had an issue one with there power supplies, I have used Enermax and OCZ PSU for years. I have a couple Vertex 4 250g SSD's and not had one issue. Guess I am a 1%'er who has used a ton of OCZ stuff and never ever had any issue and any technical issue I had was quickly solved on there support forums. As for HD's I have a box full of WD's that have failed over the years yet all my Seagates are running strong after years of use with no issue. I have an 2004 EPOX 4BDA2+ mobo, 2g OCZ gold ram, a tiny seagate hd and win 98 I run in the folding farm just because I can and It wont die even though I have tried to smoke it with overclocking and the water cooler getting green and nastier than nancy pelosi breath. It never shuts off just when I moved or the power goes out. Just hate to see competition die out.

I never trusted them from the very beginning and never understood how they stayed around for so long. Anything I ever purchased from them was very reluctantly and because i had no choice.

I have had 2 OCZ drives over 5 years. 60g OCZ Vertex turbo and picked a 256g Vertex4 last year. Haven't had any issues and haven't touched the firmware on either one.

Vertex 2's were junk. I have a Vertex turbo and a Vertex 4 and haven't had any issues.

I sad for them. I've had good luck with their products.

I thought I was the only one....

My OCZ PSU has been kicking strong for a while, and i have a 60GB SSD in my media server that hasn't given me any problems either.

But, now that i said that.... :(

sucks but it was a long time coming. I had DDR1 ram with the cool gold heatsinks, I have their SSD as my main drive in my sig rig, its been flawless. got it cheap too.

I never trusted them from the very beginning and never understood how they stayed around for so long. Anything I ever purchased from them was very reluctantly and because i had no choice.

I still remember the 50% overclock CPU scams running through that webstore that seems to be in the block list. Funny how things turn out ;)

I guess they couldn't recover after the debacle with their second gen SSDs. I stopped buying their products when that occurred. Trying to mislead your customers, when a product is new, and mainly catering to enthusiasts when it first came out, was a poor, poor choice.

I saw a lot of firmware issues with the third gen as well. I own a 4th gen Vertex and it's been great. Guess too little too late.

I stopped recommending OCZ products a couple years ago. Their shitty customer service was the main issue with most of their products, but the random BSOD on some of their SSDs is why I first looked into it.

Glad I stayed away from all the OCZ deals recently, guess they were cleaning house before they close the house :eek:

Where are all the people that cried "hater" when someone pointed out that buying an OCZ wasn't a wise choice. I pointed out many times to these people that the warranty was meaningless if the company wouldn't be around to honor it.

I'm just surprised it took them this long to fold. Back a year or two ago when they were getting these big bank loans I knew the end wasn't far.

I stopped recommending OCZ products a couple years ago. Their shitty customer service was the main issue with most of their products, but the random BSOD on some of their SSDs is why I first looked into it.

OCZ died for me as a relevant brand when their obnoxious admins on their forum kept deleting threads that were in any way critcal -- example when people realized that they had pulled a switcheroo and began trying to squeeze some extra margin and cut corners by using inferior NAND than what was advertised in the spec sheet. People caught on and the heavy censorship began in effort to damage control it. Didn't work.

I seem to remember back when I first joined these forums many years ago that Kyle would ban your ass if you even mentioned the "Overc Store", which was the predecessor to the present OCZ. I don't know what had gone down to piss him off so bad, but he sure didn't like them back then. :) EDIT - I guess Kyle still isn't over his mad about them as the forum language filter truncates it to "Overc" seen above, with the rest dropped off! Nice one Kyle!!:D

As for the present OCZ, they lost me as a customer when they dropped carrying ram products. I just feel bad for all the folks that bought their SSD products that have been so problematic.

crazy.. i have deployed over 1k OCZ SSD's and have only had a hand full of RMA's I use a vector4 256GB drive, and i havent had one issue with it. Ive had way more issues with WD & Seagate. guess Samsung gonna get our money now heh

I went through 5 vertex 1's before they finally upgraded me to a vertex 2. That died within 2 years. Lucky by then I had already moved onto Samsung 840 pro's and will not go back or to any other ones. I do remember OCZ to be one of the first to travel into SSD's with their core series. Then that had the stutter issue. Vertex 1 was half the price of intel ssd so that was nice, but what point is half the price if it breaks every few months (and you lose your stuff, week-2 weeks of rma time). I skipped the vertex 3 days of bsod's (all manufacturers had issues with sandforce). I bought vertex 4 with the Indiliux infused (ocz tried to mislead people) which instead it was a marvell chip. It still is going today in a different computer, but I would not trust them after that. By the time vector or 450 came out, samsung 840 pro was out for the same price...why would someone buy ocz at that point.

Did you never had a chance look into Intel Drivers?? ...Intel also a sf based series & I'm very happy with the overall performance. Intel have the best reliability history with their SSDs, but as with everything, still have an above-zero failure rate.

Back