OCZ Launches Vector SSD Series and Proprietary Barefoot 3 Controller

HardOCP News

[H] News
OCZ Technology Group, Inc., a leading provider of high-performance solid-state drives (SSDs) for computing devices and systems, today announced the availability of its new SATA III-based Vector SSD Series featuring the company's next-generation Indilinx Barefoot 3 controller. OCZ's worldwide technology hardware and firmware teams developed the new controller silicon and firmware completely inhouse to enable full design control over the Vector SSD Series roadmap, while delivering exceptional I/O performance, enhanced reliability and endurance, and a host of differentiated features to empower high performance laptops, desktops, and workstations with superior storage capabilities.

i still wont trust ocz. their ssd died on me. First it broke windows so I tried to do a secure erase to start over, that didnt work and tried to do a firmware update, and it says update failed. and totally brick on me.

Now the question is if its actually an indilinx controller this time, or another marvell rebrand

Because no other SSDs break. Intel has never had problems. Crucial has never had problems. Corsair has never had problems. Just sayin'. I've had 20+ OCZ SSDs and NEVER had an issue with any single one of them. Some of 'em are goin' on 3-4 years now in family/friend boxes.

I'm not an OCZ zealot either - I have / have had plenty of other SSDs (Just got 3 Samsung 840 Pros). OCZ has done more IMO than any other manufacturer on bringing out the latest tech and PUSHING competition in the consumer SSD market, like them or not.

To be honest, I'm less than impressed with the filled-drive write performance of these 840's than I was with my Vertex 3's. I never saw the drastic write slowdowns on my V3's like I'm seeing on these new 840 Pros.

Now the question is if its actually an indilinx controller this time, or another marvell rebrand

Again, so much misinformation. The Vertex 4 uses an Indilinx controller that Marvell manufactures FOR THEM. Do you honestly expect a little company like Indilinx to own billions worth of fabs and manufacturing infrastructure?

The Vertex 4 uses an Indilinx controller that Marvell manufactures FOR THEM.

That is incorrect. The Vertex 4 uses a Marvell 88SS9187 controller that is slightly overclocked and was custom labeled for OCZ to hide the fact that it was actually a Marvell design.

But I am reasonably sure that the controller in the Vector is really an Indilinx design this time.

Last edited:
"guys it's more reliable this time, we said so, ok ?"

Back