OCZ / Idilinx SSD Garbage Collection Firmware update

saw this on XS yesterday, pretty good news, can't wait for the new firmware, only pita will be reinstalling the OS again

shouldn't image hdd to sdd, partition aligmnet etc is different for ssds. Clean install is your best bet.

Ahh this sounds alot like samsung's self-trimming feature. Looks like the article avoided the trim term for some reason. Garbage collection is probably more accurate anyways.

Also, it's my understanding that ever since a couple revisions ago flashing the firmware no longer erases the drive.

1.4 beta has been released on the OCZ forums for Vertex drives

it contains both TRIM and Garbage Collection.

1.4 beta has been released on the OCZ forums for Vertex drives

it contains both TRIM and Garbage Collection.

Where I was looking for it a few days ago and didnt see it?
Or did they just put it up today?

Where I was looking for it a few days ago and didnt see it?
Or did they just put it up today?

just a few hours ago
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60700

Ahh this sounds alot like samsung's self-trimming feature. Looks like the article avoided the trim term for some reason. Garbage collection is probably more accurate anyways.

Also, it's my understanding that ever since a couple revisions ago flashing the firmware no longer erases the drive.

True. With the past two updates, the firmware no longer requires the SSD to be erased. Don't know if it's the case for every update in the future though.

Garbage Collection works better than Samsungs auto-trim because it should work on filesystems other than NTFS and RAID as well

upgraded one of my 30gb to 1.4 beta, so far works great, the new gc is pretty fast, big drive improvements after 10 min of idle

Last edited:
http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/05/05/support-and-q-a-for-solid-state-drives-and.aspx
In Windows 7, if an SSD reports it supports the Trim attribute of the ATA protocol’s Data Set Management command, the NTFS file system will request the ATA driver to issue the new operation to the device when files are deleted and it is safe to erase the SSD pages backing the files. With this information, an SSD can plan to erase the relevant blocks opportunistically (and lazily) in the hope that subsequent writes will not require a blocking erase operation since erased pages are available for reuse.

So TRIM requires OS support, and for the OS to issue requests. It seems that Garbage Collection does essentially the same thing (pre-erasing pages that are marked empty, during system lulls), but does it without OS interaction. Because TRIM is a specific command of the ATA protocol, it is incorrect to refer to OCZ's garbage collection as TRIM.

http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/05/05/support-and-q-a-for-solid-state-drives-and.aspx

So TRIM requires OS support, and for the OS to issue requests. It seems that Garbage Collection does essentially the same thing (pre-erasing pages that are marked empty, during system lulls), but does it without OS interaction. Because TRIM is a specific command of the ATA protocol, it is incorrect to refer to OCZ's garbage collection as TRIM.

No one ever said they are the same.
They do the same thing, they just do it differently.

Does it really matter how its done?
The fact is that now whether you have Win7 or something else....you get the same end result.

Hmmm...I just might have to pick up one of these Vertex drives now. I was waiting until a firmware came out that eliminated the whole manual maintenance aspect that needed to be set up, and it looks like that time has come.

Back