OCZ and PC Power and Cooling

FlashGordon

Weaksauce
Will be building a new PC in a few months, so its been awhile. I currently have a TT psu, and will probably look at someting between 600-700 watts. I actually hadn't thought of OCZ, but was wondering if they make their own.
Now that PC Power and Cooling is part of the OCZ group, do you think they'll keep them separate, or have PC Power and Cooling build them for OCZ?

Will be building a new PC in a few months, so its been awhile. I currently have a TT psu, and will probably look at someting between 600-700 watts. I actually hadn't thought of OCZ, but was wondering if they make their own.
Now that PC Power and Cooling is part of the OCZ group, do you think they'll keep them separate, or have PC Power and Cooling build them for OCZ?

As much as PC Power and Cooling likes to say they build them (or obfuscate their origins) they don't. They have OEM's just like OCZ does building them.

Though it will be interesting to see if PC Power and Cooling redacts their "myths page" now since OCZ markets (very lucratively) modular power supplies and multirail units.

OCZ will keep the OCZ brand and product line and PCP&C will keep the PCP&C brand and product line.

Of course, as new products come out and the fact that Doug now works for OCZ, he might be calling the shots on FUTURE product.

But to expand on what Paul said: Neither OCZ nor PCP&C actually make their own products. But that holds true for 90% of the companies out there.

Sean @ OCZ clarified that that OCZ bought PC Power and Cooling, but intend to let PC Power and Cooling run as it has always been run and the key guys are still at PC Power and Cooling. They are keeping the facilities open in San Diego and all of the PC Power and Cooling guys are still employeed. This is actually a solid move, I am surprised OCZ pulled it off.

I can't wait to see what becomes of this.

When will they release the more efficient power supplies that are "easy to do" according to google, (who make their own)
with PCP&C price premium you would think they would at least do that for us.
It get hot in the summer and sucks that PC is wasting power.

When will they release the more efficient power supplies that are "easy to do" according to google, (who make their own)

efficiency is not all its cracked up to be...
Personally I would rather have a PC Power & Cooling PSU that I know I will not be doing a RMA in 6 months to a year.....
Better efficiency does not equate a better built PSU....
Even JonnyGURU says that is true!!

it means one that uses less power.
they could make a better PSU thet uses less power. we should be able to have both. it is just electronics,

Grr, I've always had a bad taste in my mouth for OCZ, all their products are just rebranded stuff from other manufacturers and they seem to have poor quality control. I sure hope that they won't strip down PC P&C, like what Ford did to Jaguar... :rolleyes:

I read an article on /. about this. IIRC, they run a high-voltage DC bus through the datacenter, then the power supplies feed off that. IIRC again, DC->DC conversion is 90% efficient already, it's the AC->DC conversion where another 10-15% efficiency is lost. By doing it in bulk and using high voltage, they avoid some of that efficiency and don't lose much in the transmission. But it's not very practical for home users - high voltage DC is nasty stuff.

Grr, I've always had a bad taste in my mouth for OCZ, all their products are just rebranded stuff from other manufacturers and they seem to have poor quality control. I sure hope that they won't strip down PC P&C, like what Ford did to Jaguar... :rolleyes:

OCZ has amazing customer service/rma support.

Even though PCP&C and OCZ don't make their own stuff, that doesn't mean that rebranding is bad quality-wise. The same maker could create PSUs for Acme, Ace and Turbo, but Acme has low quality standards, so they can sell for a lower price (but lower quality), Ace could have higher standards than Acme but lower than Turbo and therefore their prices would fall in the middle and Turbo could have the most stringent quality control standards for the PSUs they sell in their name and thus the highest price. That would mean that even though they all use the same OEM (I'm not saying OCZ and PCP&C do, this is just an example) the quality can differ. For anyone who doesn't know that it's all the same original manufacturer, just different quality, they'd say "Oh, well Acme PSUs suck but Turbos rule" because from what they've seen the PSUs that Turbo "makes" are better than the ones that Acme "makes."

Now price-wise, rebranding is bad if you consider higher prices for the same manufactured product to be a bad thing, because inevitably the price gets jacked up as the rebrander has to make money somewhere. However, it the rebranding involves extensive testing, like what PCP&C claims to do, then it could be worth the price tag to some. Personally I will probably buy PC Power and Cooling as long as I build PCs, but that's because I choose my brand loyalties as such. If I see a better deal, then I'll take it but that 850 watt SSI seems good for at least another few years.

All the stupid Wal-Mart BIAS makes me tell people to watch the Penn & Teller Bullshit on Wal-Mart, it'll open your eyes and make you stop hating Wal-Mart so much.

:eek:

there is a difference between rebranding (ocz) and farming out the actual manufacture(PC&C, Nvidia).

there is a difference between rebranding (ocz) and farming out the actual manufacture (PC&C, Nvidia).

Yes... there is. But when it comes to power supplies, your nVidia analogy doesn't apply.

A Turbo-Cool is really no different than a ProXStream built by 3Y when you look at the lineage, R&D, etc.

Yeh.... it was knee jerk reaction...

If Walmarts want to start offering high class products then very cool... I'm not a Walmart hater really... but it just threw me for a loop...

It's like hearing that Walmart will now be selling 40 year old scotch and rolex watches...

I'll be watching thing like you all are....

If walmat is going to be selling pcpc/ocz psus can't see how that'll preserve quality since walmart makes money on volume not margin. Lower margin products usually mean they suck and fall apart more often. Example: thermaltake. So I don't see walmart being a smart choice. Also walmart has a very fucked up purchasing strategy which usually drives suppliers bonkers. They make suppliers watch the store inventory levels and ship to refresh. Why would pcpc/ocz want to put up with that shit? They already have a market and customer who respects their brand. Guess they'll be lowering margins and quality and being more involved with bulk shipping to walmart. Changes the whole profit/quality paradigm. Wonder what they predict walmart % of sales will be?

I don't know why this OCZ == WalMart thing keeps coming up.

Has anyone actually seen OCZ at WalMart? I haven't. Yes, it's on WalMart.com, but that's not the same thing. WalMart.com is mostly populated by a live feed from D&H and items are drop shipped from D&H.

I don't know why this OCZ == WalMart thing keeps coming up.

Has anyone actually seen OCZ at WalMart? I haven't. Yes, it's on WalMart.com, but that's not the same thing. WalMart.com is mostly populated by a live feed from D&H and items are drop shipped from D&H.

FUD, simple as that. Everyone (well, nearly everyone) is afraid that Wal-Mart is going to screw up OCZ/PCP&C in some way by demanding more product at lower prices than they can provide. I doubt that they'd ever carry parts like that in B&M stores since that's not what the average drone shopping there will be looking for.

I don't know why this OCZ == WalMart thing keeps coming up.....

Yes, I agree ...jesus... I'm sorry I even brought it up...

The person who wrote the dailytech article is writing a news story about the company... In which they mention (naturally) that Walmart is a distributor for OCZ products...

Walmart selling pc2 5300 OCZ ram does not and will not = PcP&C eventually making a PSU OEM'd by powmax and sold at Walmart

FUD, simple as that. Everyone (well, nearly everyone) is afraid that Wal-Mart is going to screw up OCZ/PCP&C in some way by demanding more product at lower prices than they can provide. I doubt that they'd ever carry parts like that in B&M stores since that's not what the average drone shopping there will be looking for.

Well put. Fry's Electronics is one of the few exceptions. I shop there when I want something quick and so do many other tech-savvy types. The salesmen there are very good at guiding customers to the "good stuff" as well.

Well put. Fry's Electronics is one of the few exceptions. I shop there when I want something quick and so do many other tech-savvy types. The salesmen there are very good at guiding customers to the "good stuff" as well.

Well, when I said B&M I meant B&M Wal-Marts not computer shops since the people shopping those are generally there for either A) a computer or B) parts of some sort.

Back