OCZ Agility 2 60GB Help

Scottig

Weaksauce
So I received my SSD this AM. Popped it in. Went into Windows 7 Disk
Management. Formatted the drive everything was looking good. But the speeds are a good bit slower than advertise according to Crystal Disk Mark. I was wondering if anyone had any tips to help me get the SSD up to the advertised speeds. My specs are Abit IP35-pro, Q6600 OC'd to 3.4GHz, 4GB ram, 8800gt. I did not do a fresh install of Windows 7. I am just using the drive for applications and gaming. thanks for any help.

Here is a SS
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/abmsam211/SSDpic-2.gif?t=1288723274

P.S. I set the SSD drive up as a Simple drive on a NTFS file system. Is this right?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Sandforce's spec's are misleading. You will only obtain the given speeds on benchmarks that essentially write a stream of zeros to the drive. On realistic data, which the SF controller cannot compress, your write speeds will be around 30 - 50% of the specifications that Sandforce lists. Sequential writes in the 80 - 140 MB/s range are typical for incompressible data, depending on how heavily used the drive is.

So your saying my speeds are normal? Well what SSD can I buy that will give me the performance I'm looking for?

Yes, the CM speeds you measured are typical for a SF drive.

Why don't you read some of the many threads in this forum on the topic of which SSD to choose?

Just wondering... do you want a faster drive just for benchmarks?

Also, the 120GB Sandforce drives seem quite a bit faster than the 60GB ones. On my 120GB Agility 2 I get the 285/275MBs read/write with ATTO (benchmark that gives you those numbers). On the 64GB A-DATA S599 I was seeing 225ish MB/s both ways (still testing this).

Other than the benchmarks though, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

ATTO is not a realistic benchmark for SF drives, since ATTO essentially writes a stream of zeros, which is something that the SF controller can compress.

So I received my SSD this AM. Popped it in. Went into Windows 7 Disk
Management. Formatted the drive everything was looking good. But the speeds are a good bit slower than advertise according to Crystal Disk Mark. I was wondering if anyone had any tips to help me get the SSD up to the advertised speeds. My specs are Abit IP35-pro, Q6600 OC'd to 3.4GHz, 4GB ram, 8800gt. I did not do a fresh install of Windows 7. I am just using the drive for applications and gaming. thanks for any help.

Here is a SS
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/abmsam211/SSDpic-2.gif?t=1288723274

P.S. I set the SSD drive up as a Simple drive on a NTFS file system. Is this right?

Make sure AHCI mode is Enabled. Disable Drive Indexing. Turn of Swap File and move to another hard drive.

Run ATTO to see if you're getting rated speeds. The Vertex 2 is still one of the fastest SSD's on the market. Most companies market their speeds based on the compressed 0's ATTO results, not real-world performance, which is about 30-50% less.

I ran Atto I was getting 280's on both read and write hrmmm. Kind of sucks you dont really get the performance in RL. Guess I'll just buy another when they go on sale again and Raid 0 them.

I ran Atto I was getting 280's on both read and write hrmmm. Kind of sucks you dont really get the performance in RL. Guess I'll just buy another when they go on sale again and Raid 0 them.

Once you RAID 0 these drives you are saturating the SATA 2 bus.

Or maybe I just stick with this one until I build a new Comp in a couple years...

Make sure AHCI mode is Enabled. Disable Drive Indexing. Turn of Swap File and move to another hard drive.

Absolutely make sure AHCI is enabled, it can have significant performance impacts on SSDs. If by Swap file you mean Page File, Microsoft themselves recommends leaving it on the SSD.

Try benchmarking with AS SSD or Crystal DiskMark and see how your speeds compare.

Once you RAID 0 these drives you are saturating the SATA 2 bus.

Huh? One drive (in ATTO) is basically saturating a SATA 2 link. Two drives saturates two SATA 2 links. Three drives and you are probably saturating some ICH10R implementations (ones limited to mid 600MB/s) in ATTO.

I know the 285/275 number comes from ATTO and that it is a poor benchmark. At least the drives are plenty fast in real world usage too.

Back